AVS Forum banner

Jbl studio 6 speakers! The new magic!

119K views 700 replies 83 participants last post by  marjen 
#1 · (Edited)
Since the new JBL studio 6 series has been released in JAPAN I figured the studio 6 series needs its own thread like the 5 series.

Here some information about the speakers from karmanaudio japan link

Harman International Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Taito-ku, Tokyo, President: Tom Metzger), from the California birthplace of the world's largest audio brand "JBL", employs a compression driver and horn technology of the traditional, pure audio also speaker system "STUDIO (studio) 6 Series" that can home theater also enjoy the sound of orthodox the early June (center speaker: STUDIO 625C, subwoofer: STUDIO 660P summer 2019) will be released from.

"Studio 6 Series" is taking advantage of a number of horn-type system Poulton was JBL proprietary technology called the signature machine, high acoustic performance excellent installation properties while pursuing, such as furniture-like design and finishing, for home entertainment This is a speaker system lineup that integrates the elements required for speakers.

All series high-range units are Neodymium compression drivers with high resolution and clarity, developed for the JBL Professional's “VERTEC SUBCOMPACT MODEL” SR loudspeakers active in concerts around the world. powered by. The High Definition Imaging (HDI) horn, also developed by JBL Professional, is used to maximize its performance. We realize clear JBL tone with accurate sound image localization. The woofer unit, PolyPlas were both lightness and stiffness TM adopt cone woofer. In combination with JBL's original SFG magnetic circuit, from the time of small volume to the time of large volume, the clear middle-low range reproduction with little distortion is realized. The seamless round-edge cabinet is acoustically designed to maximize the performance of the unit. The combination of the elements included in the JBL Professional speaker, which boasts a rich expressive power, combines the excellent acoustic performance required for a home entertainment speaker with a furniture-like design.

The Studio 6 series has a rich lineup from the large floor speakers (STUDIO 698, STUDIO 680) to the compact bookshelf speakers (STUDIO 630, STUDIO 620) that can be selected according to the installation location. Furthermore, it is a multi-purpose speaker system lineup that also supports AV / theater with center speaker (STUDIO 625C) and subwoofer (STUDIO 660P) added. As a stereo system for music playback, of course, as an AV multi-channel system, flexible arrangement to various listening environments and various listening styles is possible.

From pure audio to home theater, enjoy real sound such as music and movies from JBL's STUDIO 6 series home entertainment speaker in full swing.

Here are the links of the speakers for sale in japan from JBL.com

JBL studio 680

JBL studio 630

JBL studio 625

JBL studio 620

#2 · (Edited)
JBL Studio 6 series brosure with more speaker models/specifications

Main Specifications from JBL website

Product Name: STUDIO 698
Format: 3 Way floor type
Unit configuration LF: 200 mm diameter PolyPlas TM cone woofer × 2
Unit configuration MF: 150 mm diameter PolyPlas TM cone mid range
Unit configuration HF: 25 mm diameter Teonex (R) diaphragm, neodymium, compression driver
HF horn: High Definition Imaging (HDI) horn
Impedance: 6 Ω
Recommended amplifier output: ~ 250W
Output sound pressure level (2.83 V / 1 m): 90 dB
Frequency response: 36 Hz to 40 kHz
Crossover frequency: 320Hz / 1.8kHz
Cabinet type: Rear port, bass reflex type
Dimensions (width x height x depth): 300 x 1,058 x 400 mm
Weight: 35.8 kg
Sales price (excluding tax): Standard price ¥ 100,000 / one

Product Name: STUDIO 680
Format: 2.5 Way floor type
Unit configuration LF: 165 mm diameter PolyPlas TM cone · woofer × 2
Unit configuration MF:-
Unit configuration HF: 25 mm diameter Teonex (R) diaphragm, neodymium, compression driver
Recommended amplifier output: ~ 200W
Output sound pressure level (2.83 V / 1 m): 88 dB
Frequency response: 38 Hz to 40 kHz
Crossover frequency: 600Hz / 1.8kHz
Dimensions (width x height x depth): 230 x 1, 005 x 300 mm
Weight: 22.6 kg
Sales price (excluding tax): Standard price ¥ 70,000 / one

Product Name: STUDIO 630
Format: 2 Way Bookshelf Type
Unit configuration LF: 165 mm diameter PolyPlas TM cone woofer
Recommended amplifier output: ~ 150W
Output sound pressure level (2.83 V / 1 m): 85 dB
Frequency response: 45 Hz to 40 kHz
Crossover frequency: 1.9 kHz
Dimensions (width x height x depth): 230 x 372 x 280 mm
Weight: 9.0 kg
Sales price (excluding tax): Standard price ¥ 90,000 / 1 pair

Product Name: STUDIO 620
Format: 2 Way Bookshelf Type
Unit configuration LF: 133 mm diameter PolyPlas TM cone woofer
Recommended amplifier output: ~ 100W
Output sound pressure level (2.83 V / 1 m): 84 dB
Frequency response: 50Hz to 40kHz
Crossover frequency: 2.3 kHz
Dimensions (width x height x depth): 190 x 312 x 240 mm
Weight: 6.9 kg
Sales price (excluding tax): Standard price ¥ 70,000 / 1 pair

Product Name: STUDIO 625 C
Format: 2 Way Center Speaker
Unit configuration LF: 133 mm diameter PolyPlas TM cone woofer × 2
Recommended amplifier output: ~ 150W
Output sound pressure level (2.83 V / 1 m): 85 dB
Frequency response: 64 Hz to 40 kHz
Crossover frequency: 1.7 kHz
Cabinet type: closed type
Dimensions (width x height x depth): 440 x 190 x 190 mm
Weight: 8.6 kg
Sales price (excluding tax): Standard price ¥ 50,000 / one

Product Name: STUDIO 660 P
Format: Active Subwoofer
Unit configuration: 300mm diameter PolyPlas TM cone woofer
Built-in amplifier output: 500W (RMS) / 1,000W (Dynamic)
Frequency characteristic: 28 Hz to crossover frequency
Crossover frequency: 50 Hz to 150 kHz (-24 dB / oct) Continuously adjustable
Input terminal: RCA (Line-Level LFE) × 1
Cabinet type: Bottom port, bass reflex type
Dimensions (width x height x depth): 420 x 470 x 435 mm
Weight: 25.1 kg
Sales price (excluding tax): Standard price ¥ 120,000 / one

#3 ·
[Features]
All models come with a Teonex® diaphragm compression driver
The high-range unit of all STUDIO 6 series models (Subwoofer: Except STUDIO 660P) is equipped with a 25 mm diameter neodymium compression driver with Teonex® diaphragm developed by JBL Professional Divison, which boasts high resolution and clarity. With a rich expressive power and energy, it has acquired a supple and smooth tone.

Constant directivity horn design developed by JBL Professional
The compression driver and JBL Professional Division, as well as the constant definition horn using high definition imaging (HDI) horn technology developed for the latest professional monitor. By delivering sound with flat frequency response and uniform sound pressure over a large service area, a clear JBL tone echoes the listening room with accurate sound localization.

PolyPlas ■TM cone woofer mounted
PolyPlas were both lightness and stiffness TM mounting cone woofer and mid-range (STUDIO 698 only). Employs a unique SFG magnetic circuit that combines a pole piece structure that forms a symmetrical magnetic field and modulation distortion reduction technology. We realize clear low-to-low range reproduction with little distortion from small volume to high volume, and contribute to rhythmic low range reproduction and clear voice range reproduction only by JBL.

Optimized cabinet and port design
The cornerless cabinet structure that leads seamlessly from the front and rear baffles to the gently curved side panels suppresses radiation as well as elegance and plays a rich sound reproduction. In addition, we adopt the traditional bass reflex type enclosure provided with the flared bass reflex duct which suppresses the port noise on the back of the cabinet (STUDIO 660P is the bottom).

By wiring connection correspondence (only for STUDIO 698, STUDIO 690)
The floor-standing model of the STUDIO 698/680 uses a dual terminal system that separates the middle-high and low-pass filter circuits for each input terminal and suppresses the occurrence of intermodulation distortion. You can enjoy bi-wiring connection and bi-amp driving.

System configuration that demonstrates power during multi-channel playback
The STUDIO 6 series is a multi-purpose speaker series that supports AV / home theater, with a center speaker and an active subwoofer in addition to an extensive lineup from large floor systems to compact bookshelf models. The compression driver & horn of the same diaphragm adoption is adopted as all models, and the woofer of the diaphragm material which made the basic design common is carried. Furthermore, the crossover frequency and the characteristic are optimized, and the tone character of all the systems in the series is wonderfully unified. No matter which model in the series is combined, it is possible to construct a multi-channel system with uniform sound quality and spatial expression with a sense of unity.

#7 ·
Interesting, the new 698 uses a 3 way design with a 6" mid range driver as well dual 8" woofers. Definitely not just a carbon copy of the Studio 5 series with a new look. I would love to hear how these sound, and if they are using the same compression driver as the 5 series along with the same woofers, etc.

The center looks beefier too than the 5 series but I would think could be a good match for the 5 series.

#23 · (Edited)
I saw the 698 in person last Friday, the fit and finish is pretty high, the veneer looks a lot more like real wood that the stuff they have used before. These are far more living-room friendly than the outgoing 5 series and the cheap looking 2 series. I was not able to listen unfortunately.

The bottom most woofer is ~20 cm from the floor, which makes it hard to place behind a sound screen and not be behind the bottom frame. I was thinking about the 690 which won't have this issue; but Harmon are not selling those in japan. Not sure anyone would need the additional power handling the 698 will have over the 690 below 100 Hz if you have sub-woofers.

maybe I should just give up and get 4429's at only double the price.

#36 ·
How long do we think it will be before we see reviews on this new line of speakers? I know they're only available in Japan at the moment. But are there reviewers over there who will provide "early look" reviews for readers in other markets?

I'm not sure why I'm so excited about this line. I already have five of the Studio 590 towers, and a pair of the Studio 530 bookshelf speakers. Mainly, I'm curious about those wall-mountable surrounds, as they could be a good pickup for me. I'd also be curious to hear if the 698 towers would be an upgrade from the 590's, though I wouldn't want to pay full price for them, so I'd be waiting (likely years) for them to go on a big sale.

For one thing, I think I might like the look of them. But the description of the Waveguide makes it sound like they COULD be an upgrade from the 590s. Plus, the 698s are a true 3-way, which could also be a step in the right direction.

It's a bummer they're going less sensitive versus the Studio 5 series. But in this price range, it's not surprising to get speakers that would benefit from external amplification beyond what comes in a receiver.

#37 ·
Man those are MUCH nicer looking that the Studio 5 series. Kind of makes me wish I would have waited, but then again when I bought the 590's there wasn't even a hint of the Studio 6 coming down the pipe, not publicly at least. I have had the 590's for almost 2 years. To bad I can't resell them for enough to swap to the Studio 698's, and I doubt they will be doing the half off sales all the time like the 5 series LOL

#39 ·
Please educate me. I own and love my original JBL Studio Series speakers I have had going on close to 20 years. These new ones look nice especially in the wood grain. It has me thinking maybe time for an upgrade if these come to the states. But then I look at the specs and I am concerned are they going to sound as good and will they be even able to reach reference level sound in my home theater? Looking at the brochure linked in an earlier post it seems the entry level center channel is rated at 85db 2.83v @ 1M 6 ohm 150 watt max. So that is what 1.5 watts at 1 meter? Am I reading other sources correctly that you loose 6db for doubling your distance and you have to double your power for every 3db gain? My listening/viewing position is only about 6.5' away from my center, so about 2 meters. Based on my understanding I would need 768 watts to power that center to reference, which even if I bought the amps and upgraded wiring with dedicated circuits to power it all, would still mean blowing the speakers. At 150 watt max would mean only what about 98db max? Wouldn't they have all sorts of distortion since you are pushing them to their max? I don't have those sort of problems with my setup.

#40 · (Edited)
and I am concerned are they going to sound as good and will they be even able to reach reference level sound in my home theater? Looking at the brochure linked in an earlier post it seems the entry level center channel is rated at 85db 2.83v @ 1M 6 ohm 150 watt max. .
your are correct. the center speaker is rink-a-dink. Not even remotely capable of the required performance. The new surround is even worse.

Only the top 2 floor standers are capable based on spec, but in reality no-one has seen how much compression is happening in the drivers when fed 250w.

To get reference with a circa 100w continuous/channel amp (ie receivers)and assuming you are sitting 3.5m away. Rough calculations: 105db ref + 10db distance loss - 20db from 100w amplification = 95db 2.83v @1m sensitivity. Assuming zero compression in the driver at 100w. A speaker with advertised power handling capability of 200-250w peak should be within spec for 100w continuous. This is assuming no boundary gains so this is worst case.

Reality is that 3db below reference is a much more sensible target for home use, and is easier to achieve. This means speakers round 92db 2.83 @1m for a 100w to 112 db max output. This was the case with the last 5 series speakers. The new series is 90db sensitivity for the 698 and 690; but they have better power handling on paper. I'm thinking they will need external amplification to reach reference.

Edit: note that there is very little product on the market capable of these numbers and the majority never runs their system this loud, which they could not do if they wanted to. Also you should get 3db boundry gain in a regular sized room, this is why some speaker makers give sensitivity in-room at +3db; I'm assuming this is not the case with the new series 6 specs, so you can assume an additional 3db to play with

#41 · (Edited)
Initially I was excited about the surround. Now I'm not sure I understand it.

Using a compression driver, I thought we'd be lowering the crossover frequency for wide dispersion. It is a surround, after all. However it is using a 2.4kHz crossover.

Many surround speakers have a crossover in that region, however, they are bipolar. This doesn't use the angled faces to project sound in a bi-polar fashion, again restricting dispersion.

You can't angle it to your seats due to its wide, flat design.

It can't play very loud, only achieving 84dB sensitivity.

What am I missing?

#43 ·
What am I missing?
Maybe the thoughts on dispersion. The woofer is only 5.25" so I think they may very well have very good dispersion characteristics. If the waveguide is good they may do just fine without being aimed if they're somewhat properly placed for surround use.

I agree with your disappointment with the sensitivity/power handling. If you have a large room and want them to hit reference level, it's not going to happen.

They have a great form factor for wall mounting in a small room though, and may sound fantastic as long as your room is small enough and volumes are kept to a moderate level. But the sensitivity/power handling should really disqualify them for use in a large system which is a shame.

#44 · (Edited)
Haven’t seen this posted but looks like the studio series 6 will have in walls.

In Walls

Attachments

#49 ·
Haven’t seen this posted but looks like the studio series 6 will have in walls.
Thanks for posting that. Those look a lot better sensitivity-wise, but it may just be they're rated in 1/2 space rather than free space (which would be appropriate). Depending upon where they come out price-wise, they may be a great sounding option for people looking for in-walls.
Any thoughts re: JBL Studio 5/6 series bookshelves vs DIYSG HTM8/10/12's?

Do the JBL's have a better sounding tweeter/horn driver, crossover?
It's possible they would sound just as good at lower volume levels, (that would be an interesting shootout) but if you have a large room they're nowhere near as capable. A more fair comparison would be the HTMs vs. the towers or their 88LCR in-walls, assuming you'd use subs with each. For smaller/medium sized rooms at medium volumes the Studio 6's may offer a nice alternative to DIY (depending upon price, of course) as they might offer similar dispersion characteristics that people like so much in the HTMs.

#46 ·
I don't know how they compare, no one has heard the Studio 6 series. But based on the specs I have seen, which are pretty disappointing as far as sensitivity and power handling I would but the HTM's would out perform the Studio 6 series. Especially if you have a large room and want to listen at or near reference, and of course price to performance it isn't even a contest.

#51 ·
Any predictions on sound? I am hoping they are better at detail retrieval. What makes me loge speakers like the LS50 is the incredible resolution. If they can combine the high resolution with the "sit any where in the room and be in the sweet spot" dispersion - they will be the new kings.

#54 ·
Bad news, guys. According to the JBL team at CEDIA, there doesn't seem to be any plans for a North American release of the Studio 6 line. Possibly just Asian (and maybe European) markets.

I did make it known that there was indeed consumer interest in the new Series hereabouts.

The Synthesis HDI series is being released here instead at a somewhat higher average MSRP, but without the matching architectural in-wall or on-wall surround models (though that may change with user feedback - I said they should round the line out considering Dolby Atmos setups and the like). The only good news is that though their cabinets look similar to the Studio Series 6, they are receiving updated compression tweeters and new drivers that better match the newer professional Synthesis lineup. The bad news? They will not timbre match the Series 5's as some had hoped.

The HDI's did sound quite nice for the money (solid dynamics and clean output), however, within the limited demo time guests were afforded at CEDIA.

Attachments

#59 ·
You are right, they sound great. Like, really really great, a modern classic I would dare say. Marketing however seemed to be almost non-existent!?

I bought them a few months ago (Australia) and I got the 680 model. Dual 6.5" woofers + HF comp. driver.

The JBL Studio 6 had the best sound in the shop, made the other speaker brands sound tinny and fragile in comparison (towers speakers that were up to twice the price!)

Yes, the sensitivity isn't that great but that's all on the woofers.....I have them hooked up to a Yamaha AS-701 and the woofers come alive only after they get some juice from the amp. But it seems it really pays off, especially the lower mids and midrange!

All in all, one heck of a speaker!