AVS Forum banner

3421 - 3440 of 3594 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
The JBL Control series is what you want. They are essentially the SCS-8 uncased. They are compression driver so they will blend nicely with your 5 series.
JBL Control 328c
If you go up one level higher on the web server, you will see the accessories for mounting.

Yes I followed advice from Dan here and got 328c for my 6 ATMOS speakers. They blend well with 590s and 530s. But the problem is, they are huge and very heavy. You want to check their dimensions including respective back can before committing on 328c.

I got the $328c new from eBay for $125 each. Back can also from eBay $50 each. I ended up creating my own backcan using MDF, Drywall and Greenglue. It was lot of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
596 Posts
The JBL Control series is what you want. They are essentially the SCS-8 uncased. They are compression driver so they will blend nicely with your 5 series.
JBL Control 328c
If you go up one level higher on the web server, you will see the accessories for mounting.
Yes I followed advice from Dan here and got 328c for my 6 ATMOS speakers. They blend well with 590s and 530s. But the problem is, they are huge and very heavy. You want to check their dimensions including respective back can before committing on 328c.

I got the $328c new from eBay for $125 each. Back can also from eBay $50 each. I ended up creating my own backcan using MDF, Drywall and Greenglue. It was lot of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you very much, gentlemen! Glad I asked - I saw a good deal on the 6ic's yesterday and almost jumped, but figured I would consult with the sages here first. :)

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
I use the control series speakers for my side surrounds built into columns. I wanted to use them in my ceiling but they would not fit, as was pointed out these things are big and heavy. I ended up using RSL in-ceiling speakers for my 4 Atmos speakers and they woke great for me. I would have preferred matching the Studio 590’s but was not possible easily. I also could not do on-wall mounted as I needed all the ceiling height I could get for Atmos.

The Rsl’s are a great option, they have angled woofer/tweeter and swivel so easy placement. They are shallow and have very wide dispersion which is what you want for an Atmos speaker.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
JBL 530's 50% off now at JBL.com...gettem while there HOT!...

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Battou62

·
Registered
932 Posts
Any sign of 580's on sale?
Refurbs are on sale for $350 each and come with the same money-back guarantee. My JBL Arena 180s were refurbs and were both 9-9.5/10, so if you want/need them now I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy refurb. If anything is wonky you can send them back accordingly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Refurbs are on sale for $350 each and come with the same money-back guarantee. My JBL Arena 180s were refurbs and were both 9-9.5/10, so if you want/need them now I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy refurb. If anything is wonky you can send them back accordingly.
KSpan,

I have considered refurbs, but I am patiently waiting and hope they go back on sale new for $300. I am looking to buy 3 so that $150 off helps. Not in a rush as I am using a pair of 530's and a 520C for fronts that I purchased in the last sale. I was going to return them but the sale had ended and the 580 were back at regular price. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you have the means and the room space, I would spend the money on the 590's instead. Get a third for center channel duty as their Series 5 horizontal centers are a weak link.

If you must, get three refurbed 580's.
Dan,

I would love to purchase 3 590's but my listening area is small and and 3 580's (on sale @$300) would be a better fit both physically and financially. No rush as I have 530's and a 520C to hold me over. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
I hope most understand that a refurb is just a set that someone bought new and sent back for whatever reason. Most of the time they are still "new". IMO, as long as you get the same warranty, it's well worth the discount.

Though, this is coming from a guy that likes to buy used gear anyway. ;)

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Get a third for center channel duty as their Series 5 horizontal centers are a weak link.
Dan,

The 520C seems to work OK with the 530's... at least to my ears in my room.
It's when you start mixing the horizontal center with the 580 or 590 towers - It can start getting overwhelmed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
KSpan,

I have considered refurbs, but I am patiently waiting and hope they go back on sale new for $300. I am looking to buy 3 so that $150 off helps. Not in a rush as I am using a pair of 530's and a 520C for fronts that I purchased in the last sale. I was going to return them but the sale had ended and the 580 were back at regular price. Thanks for the heads up!
We've had good luck buying their portable bluetooth speakers refurbed (Charge 3 & Xtreme). It should be a safe bet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We've had good luck buying their portable bluetooth speakers refurbed (Charge 3 & Xtreme). It should be a safe bet.
Tuba4me,

If my patience runs out I might go for the refurbs. Seems like they are out of stock right now. Thanks for the info.

3421 - 3440 of 3594 Posts