AVS Forum banner

3481 - 3500 of 3591 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yes Dan. That's what I am finding as well. Movies do not make a lot of difference it looks like.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
I bought four 580's with the intention of using them for my surrounds. I really wanted to be surround by towers on all sides with 590's up front. Presently there is no space for the 580's, so I've been using 530's instead, and they are PLENTY sufficient as surrounds. I've pushed reference and they barely show any signs of giving up. IMO they blend nicely with the 590's. I will be continuing to use the 530s in the new theater as well.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I bought four 580's with the intention of using them for my surrounds. I really wanted to be surround by towers on all sides with 590's up front. Presently there is no space for the 580's, so I've been using 530's instead, and they are PLENTY sufficient as surrounds. I've pushed reference and they barely show any signs of giving up. IMO they blend nicely with the 590's. I will be continuing to use the 530s in the new theater as well.
Good for you. I love my 580s as surrounds.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Good for you. I love my 580s as surrounds.

Apologies, I honestly thought I was quoting @diablo900t asking about 530's vs 580's. You and I have discussed the topic at length already. :p

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I listen to my 530s next to my 590s and the 590s are diffidently fuller sounding. If I didn’t have 530 I would order the 580 because at the sale price the 580;are only about a$150 more by the time you add stands to the 530s. Plus the stability is better with the towers.
Just my two cents.
Allen

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ladies & Gentlemen,

I was so excited to get my 3 new 580s today for my front LCR that I purchased during the Fathers Day sale. I arrived home and lo and behold the boxes were pretty beat up. One was obviously damaged (both speaker and exterior box). The other two did not look bad but on further inspection one has a small dent in the front right edge. The other has some discoloration on the front panel on the right which is weird.

I chatted on-line with JBL and now I have to wait about two weeks or more according to them while they sort things out with UPS. Then AFTER that they will ship a replacement. I am definitely frustrated!

As far as the other two, listening to them right now and they sound OK. With the big delay, not sure what folks have done here in the past with this type of situation. Should I keep the other two? Send back? All advice and opinions welcome. Thanks!

Pictures attached...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Ladies & Gentlemen,

I was so excited to get my 3 new 580s today for my front LCR that I purchased during the Fathers Day sale. I arrived home and lo and behold the boxes were pretty beat up. One was obviously damaged (both speaker and exterior box). The other two did not look bad but on further inspection one has a small dent in the front right edge. The other has some discoloration on the front panel on the right which is weird.

I chatted on-line with JBL and now I have to wait about two weeks or more according to them while they sort things out with UPS. Then AFTER that they will ship a replacement. I am definitely frustrated!

As far as the other two, listening to them right now and they sound OK. With the big delay, not sure what folks have done here in the past with this type of situation. Should I keep the other two? Send back? All advice and opinions welcome. Thanks!

Pictures attached...

If they are damage and you can see it or it bothers you send them back. If you can’t see the damage and it not going to bother you keep them, but resell would loose out if damage, so in reality you bought new they should look new. Send them back. My 590 came wrapped on a pallet by a trucking company and I went to there lot to pick them up.

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
If they are damage and you can see it or it bothers you send them back. If you can’t see the damage and it not going to bother you keep them, but resell would loose out if damage, so in reality you bought new they should look new. Send them back. My 590 came wrapped on a pallet by a trucking company and I went to there lot to pick them up.

Allen
Allen,

You are right. Going to send them back. Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ladies & Gentlemen,

Pictures attached...

If they are damage and you can see it or it bothers you send them back. If you can’️t see the damage and it not going to bother you keep them, but resell would loose out if damage, so in reality you bought new they should look new. Send them back. My 590 came wrapped on a pallet by a trucking company and I went to there lot to pick them up.

Allen

Did your order your 590’s straight from JBL’s website? If so, I assume they strap them to a pallet and deliver these by freight? I plan on ordering the 590’s and fingers crossed that they don’t show up beat to hell. All floor standing speakers should be strapped to a pallet to minimize damage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did your order your 590’s straight from JBL’s website? If so, I assume they strap them to a pallet and deliver these by freight? I plan on ordering the 590’s and fingers crossed that they don’t show up beat to hell. All floor standing speakers should be strapped to a pallet to minimize damage.

@BucFan00

I ordered the Studio 580's, which are a "bit" smaller and lighter than the 590's. IMHO I think if they just double boxed the 580's they probably would have arrived without damage. Its my understanding that the 590's on the other hand do indeed arrive on a pallet.

·
Registered
931 Posts
@BucFan00

I ordered the Studio 580's, which are a "bit" smaller and lighter than the 590's. IMHO I think if they just double boxed the 580's they probably would have arrived without damage. Its my understanding that the 590's on the other hand do indeed arrive on a pallet.
Yup, it's the lack of double-boxing that is the bigger culprit. Would love to see the corporate numbers on damage costs vs costs to double-box.

For comparison my Revels were double-boxed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That’s good to hear that the 590’s are shipped on a pallet. I plan on ordering them tonight when I get home from work.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I see a lot of people using the 580's for surround duty. Are they that much less then the 590 for up front? IE how would the 580's work for the front L/R with say 530s for surround??

·
Registered
254 Posts
@BucFan00

My 590's and 580's both came on a pallet

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
931 Posts
I see a lot of people using the 580's for surround duty. Are they that much less then the 590 for up front? IE how would the 580's work for the front L/R with say 530s for surround??
Depends on your volume needs and room size/listening distance but in most cases they are plenty.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yes I ordered straight from Jbl and they came on a pallet. I picked them up at the depot for my convenience .
Allen

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I did a straight down and dirty compression of my 590s to my 530s meaning I unplugged the 590 and plugged in the 530 in the top end very similar. The mids and lower is where they start sounding different both crossed at 50 hz. Which is no surprise since The 590s has a lot more bigger drivers in it.. know what I know now I would have gotten the 580 over the 530 because after you add speaker stands to the 530 there is only $150 difference or in my case it was. Plus the 580s would be harder to knock over Than the 530s on speaker stands.

Allen

·
Registered
290 Posts
Depends on your volume needs and room size/listening distance but in most cases they are plenty.

21' x23' x 10' (4830 cubes) Im guessing I run 85-88 Db. Music might be a hair louder when the mood strikes.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I did a straight down and dirty compression of my 590s to my 530s meaning I unplugged the 590 and plugged in the 530 in the top end very similar. The mids and lower is where they start sounding different both crossed at 50 hz. Which is no surprise since The 590s has a lot more bigger drivers in it.. know what I know now I would have gotten the 580 over the 530 because after you add speaker stands to the 530 there is only $150 difference or in my case it was. Plus the 580s would be harder to knock over Than the 530s on speaker stands.

Allen
Your suggestion is what prompted me to get 580s for side surrounds. The 530s on stands are just too easy to knock over, and are better suited in the rear on stands behind my 2nd row. I also tested our my 530s in the front of the room instead of my 590s as well, they sounded good, but nowhere near as "big" sounding as the 590s. Even tried a 530 at center, but having a 580 on its side there a marked improvement. For rear surround work, I'm fine with 530s, and they are easier to get above ear height in the back row.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anyone have a link to a decent price for some JBL control 328c to use as satellites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3481 - 3500 of 3591 Posts