AVS Forum banner

3761 - 3780 of 3802 Posts

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
1,029 Posts
Thank you for responding. As I started the research process I've just been overwhelmed with the choices at the different price points and how often lower-priced speakers are raved about for performing as if they are much pricier. I need to go demo the Revels. Getting those monsters for only $1k is so tempting...

Ive got the 590's. Im sold. HT use, CHECK. Music, holy moley CHECK, CHECK! I have yet to hit their limits. The only way I can see improving on these is to go with a JTR or PSA full on pro speaker setup. I like them horns!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
What would you say is the best crossover settings for the 530's and the 520C?

I was crossing my 520C at 90. Like @Lp85253 said, its room and personal taste dependent. With the tiny cones 100 might even be a better option (520C, I dont have the 530's) For its size, I think the 520C is not too shabby. I have moved back to my Emotiva C1 as its a bit more hardy with its 5.25" cones. I don't hear a big difference, but I am, Deaf-Forever ;)

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thank you for responding. As I started the research process I've just been overwhelmed with the choices at the different price points and how often lower-priced speakers are raved about for performing as if they are much pricier. I need to go demo the Revels. Getting those monsters for only $1k is so tempting...
FWIW you will be well into the realm of diminishing returns with those Revels over something like the Studio. I have M16s and F35s (which are, to be fair, a step down from the Performa series) and there is way more similarity between them and my Studio 530s than differences. If I hadn't come across ridiculous deals on the Revels I would never have purchased them and they certainly aren't 100s of percentage points better. A large portion of that cost will be the finish and materials though, so if that is important to you there is no contest between them.

Even loving my F35s as much as I do I still daydream about giving the Studio 590s a shake in my theater area. My affinity for the aesthetics of the Studio 5 series do play a part in that...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ive got the 590's. Im sold. HT use, CHECK. Music, holy moley CHECK, CHECK! I have yet to hit their limits. The only way I can see improving on these is to go with a JTR or PSA full on pro speaker setup. I like them horns!
I know I love the way they look, too. My only other worry is the are HUGE and my basement office is relatively small, may overwhelm the room. But Harman has a great return policy. Can you tell me, I know it's a nit, but are the feet really as bad as I read? Thank you for your response!

·
Registered
23 Posts
FWIW you will be well into the realm of diminishing returns with those Revels over something like the Studio. I have M16s and F35s (which are, to be fair, a step down from the Performa series) and there is way more similarity between them and my Studio 530s than differences. If I hadn't come across ridiculous deals on the Revels I would never have purchased them and they certainly aren't 100s of percentage points better. A large portion of that cost will be the finish and materials though, so if that is important to you there is no contest between them.

Even loving my F35s as much as I do I still daydream about giving the Studio 590s a shake in my theater area. My affinity for the aesthetics of the Studio 5 series do play a part in that...
I think the studio series looks incredible and that maybe shouldn't be relevant but in a world where all these towers look the same I love how the 590s stand out. What differences do you find between your 530s and your Revels? Thank you for your response!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Using 570 as L/R mains with 520c

In comparison to 530s, would it be necessary to elevate the 570s to listening level similar to the 530s?

I've been trying to find the 580s but they're a little bit out of my price range on the eBay market..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Have you heard anything about the 570s?
Are they just like a 530's except in a floor standing?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
They are the same width as the 530s but have 2 5.25" drivers instead of 1. They're about double the height.

For $199 they're a really good value. I haven't done extensive comparison because they're my rear surrounds but honestly for an extra $100 over the sale price of a pair of 530s, I think they are worth it.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I know I love the way they look, too. My only other worry is the are HUGE and my basement office is relatively small, may overwhelm the room. But Harman has a great return policy. Can you tell me, I know it's a nit, but are the feet really as bad as I read? Thank you for your response!
I haven't had any issues with the feet. I wasn't aware there were any?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I have a pair of infinity 253s on order but see the JBL 570s are on sale, any thoughts on which would be better? My first love is music, but I am eventually building out the system to be a 5.2.4 system.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
So I have a pair of infinity 253s on order but see the JBL 570s are on sale, any thoughts on which would be better? My first love is music, but I am eventually building out the system to be a 5.2.4 system.
order the 570's and send the loser back.. i'd take the 570's and not worry , but you have the 253's on the way ...

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think the studio series looks incredible and that maybe shouldn't be relevant but in a world where all these towers look the same I love how the 590s stand out. What differences do you find between your 530s and your Revels? Thank you for your response!
With respect to the 530s and M16s the M16s have more body due to the low-mid hump and get louder (to be expected since it's a 6.5" woofer) but overall they are more similar than different. The F35s provide more separation and soundstage than the M16s, also to be expected given their 2.5-way design, though the difference is notable but not drastic.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Thanks, 570 ordered, I'll post up which one I prefer in a few weeks.
have fun ,,, and don't forget those return dates... we had a guy do a shoot out recently that forgot what his return date was and had to sell the speakers himself..

Reactions: MrAddict7

·
Registered
4 Posts
have fun ,,, and don't forget those return dates... we had a guy do a shoot out recently that forgot what his return date was and had to sell the speakers himself..
Yeah that is something I need to be mindful of, I am the type of person that would mess that up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can't speak to the 570s other than I'm on these threads trying to figure out between the 590s and the Revel Performa3 F206s. I've had the 253s for about a month and run them from an NAD 758 T vi3. I replaced old Infinity Beta 50s with them and plan on switching them to my surround speakers. I can attest that the 253s are insanely good for the money, so you're not going to go wrong with them, and they look great. There's a review of the larger 263s I've included below, which are the same except larger woofers. May be worth a read before you make any changes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
With respect to the 530s and M16s the M16s have more body due to the low-mid hump and get louder (to be expected since it's a 6.5" woofer) but overall they are more similar than different. The F35s provide more separation and soundstage than the M16s, also to be expected given their 2.5-way design, though the difference is notable but not drastic.
Thank you, I'll probably be grinding on this for another month or so before making the call. I can get the Performas for about $2,600 but that's still a big price difference.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Interesting. I have moved them a bit to get them into position, meaning tipping them up onto a single corner at times with no issues. Seems pretty solid. They are big heavy speakers for sure. Now Im going to be more careful!! :oops:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
What's your listening distance? If you're too close you won't get coherency at your ears from the tweeter and drivers.

Depends on your room. 253s have wider dispersion and will require more care with placement to minimize room interaction. 570s have narrower dispersion and if toed-in sufficiently can eliminate a lot of room interaction.

3761 - 3780 of 3802 Posts