AVS Forum banner

4321 - 4340 of 4414 Posts

·
Registered
10,629 Posts
Just to be clear, damping is used to decouple. There's a good description of coupling and decoupling speakers at the link below:
Speaker decoupling through damping

One basic strategy when it comes to minimizing enclosure vibrations is to ensure the speaker does not sit directly on the floor. Known as “decoupling”, this is a good option if your floor is very “alive”: for instance, if you have a wooden floor that reacts to every footfall and movement.

Rubberized stand feet can help as can that do-it-yourself classic: The tennis ball sawed in half. Sometimes placed under the feet of a speaker, the rubber in the tennis ball reduces the amount of vibrations that can pass to and from the speaker. Professional damping feet and pads, however, work better and are more likely to match your interior.

Coupling your speaker to the floor

“Coupling” is a technique that seeks to minimize unwanted resonances by increasing a speaker’s connectedness to the ground. By making the speaker a part of the floor to the greatest extent possible, the vibrations from the speaker do not get pushed back into the enclosure. Instead, they are lost in the floor’s much greater mass. This is a good option for concrete floors or other very solid surfaces.

The most popular method for coupling speakers to the floor is spikes. Supporting the speaker on all four corners, the spikes face downwards and rest on a small metal plate (so as not to bore a hole in your floor). The effect is to minimize the influence of enclosure vibrations. Especially with subwoofers, spikes can lessen distortion.

·
Registered
199 Posts
With either of those options, you are looking at around $1700 (Used 880, New 4500); not hateful for what they bring to the table, but out of whack if you bought all your Studio 5's on sale.

I also ordered a 520 @ the $139 price even though I got my 590's for a music only system, figuring it may come in handy if I decide to use them in a HT environment in the future. I read up a little bit more on it and cancelled the order, since there was no immediate need for it, and in my mind would not be up to snuff with the 590's as the LC speakers. In my HT system; the JBL Studio S Center (3 way) does most of the work in movies, and does not give up much to the mains in output capability, so I did not want to end up with compromised center for the S5,s.

In your situation since you have a large projection screen, I would buy a S580 (on sale now < $400) and lay it sideways under the screen with the intersection of the horn and first driver centered on the screen ( acoustic center of the speaker) . With the angled top and bottom when laid on its side, easy to tilt to the best orientation. It would not be any taller than an Array 880, and not a crazy amount longer; and the null from the orientation would not be any worse than the nulls on the 520. Timbre wise as good a match as you are going to get. Probably your best low cost but capable no fuss option. If the asymmetry is visually disturbing, a wooden frame covered with grill cloth long enough to have it positioned right and extended in length to make it look symmetrical is a cheap fix. Given the above, I would have a hard time justifying the cost of the other JBL choices.

Personally, I was already exploring at the "Frankenspeaker" route for a Center. The 590 woofers are $119 each; the compression driver is $53, I would just build the crossover since JBL kindly provides the schematics and I live close to Parts Express ( Figure $100 max) Being a 2 1/2 way speaker, that helps with the nulls in a 2 way MTM which is how I would build the box. Only wild card would be the horn, but there are multiple options out there that might work. I would cross that bridge then if I ever decide to go the HT route

Good luck, hope you can work things out
Interesting you have an S series center. Have you tried that? Interesting JBL has that three way and then went 2 way. My Father has that center and matching bookshelves and surrounds and I was thinking of testing that. Asthetically a 580 would look really awward like that. Was thinking of trying a 530 Vertically but the woofer would be close to the floor. It's hard to know what I am missing but curious to think something could be better.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Interesting you have an S series center. Have you tried that? Interesting JBL has that three way and then went 2 way. My Father has that center and matching bookshelves and surrounds and I was thinking of testing that. Asthetically a 580 would look really awward like that. Was thinking of trying a 530 Vertically but the woofer would be close to the floor. It's hard to know what I am missing but curious to think something could be better.
I have an S series center as well. Still using it. And with my new 590's too. And it works well. Though I do have the infinity RC263 center on order.
When my 530's arrived I did test one as a center and found it worse than my S studio center to my ears.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have an S series center as well. Still using it. And with my new 590's too. And it works well. Though I do have the infinity RC263 center on order.
When my 530's arrived I did test one as a center and found it worse than my S studio center to my ears.
Forgot did you have a 520C? how does that compare to the S series?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Forgot did you have a 520C? how does that compare to the S series?
No, I decided against the 520c. I can't imagine it's much different than just using a 530. Being a 2 way with a compression driver.

·
Registered
199 Posts
No, I decided against the 520c. I can't imagine it's much different than just using a 530. Being a 2 way with a compression driver.
My problem is I think I am missing something but I don't really know. Just demoed my theater to the person that bought all my Klipsch speakers and it sounded fantastic. Can't I just be happy with what have?? - nope

·
Registered
94 Posts
Question for all. On carpet does everyone switch out the bottoms and use the spikes?

Or do you just keep the base rubber bottoms?

Pros and cons for each?
So my issue in getting 580's are the width of the speaker especially with the included feet that extend a couple inches on either side? So remind me,does it come with spikes or would it be easy to use generic feet that would just sit under the speaker vs. taking up add'l space on the outside? I'm very limited in width and 580s might just barely fit but not with the lateral feet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My problem is I think I am missing something but I don't really know. Just demoed my theater to the person that bought all my Klipsch speakers and it sounded fantastic. Can't I just be happy with what have?? - nope
I have not tried the S Center with the 590's because for now, the 590's are in a stereo only setup for music with a 2 channel amp.
Sounds like Archer75 tried it and it works OK.
One big advantage the S-Center has over the 520c is that it is about 6 db more sensitive which pretty much matches the sensitivity of the 590. It would take 4x the power with the 520 to match up, but it does not have the ability to handle that much, so that would be the weak link in the chain for high volume listening.

The S series has a pretty flat frequency response through most of the range which is probably why it works OK despite having a different character.

If I were going to steal from my HT system to supplement the 590's, I would use one of the S-38's that I user for my LR speakers to use as a center. With their 8" woofer, they can get closer to the midbass slam of the 590. When Tom Nousaine tested the S-38"s using the criteria he used for subs or bass drivers ( point at where the woofer reaches 10% distortion), the S-38's were capable of 32 Hz at 94 db which was better than most 8" dedicated subs at the time. Since they are by design oriented horizontally ( woofer on the left or right side of the vertical midrange/ tweeter array), they would look natural as a Center channel.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
here are some pictures of my studio 5s, I am about to change my rack out to a server style rack remove my Denon receiver and put in Emotiva Xmc-2 and three parasound amps, 5 channel for the front 220 watts and to 6 channel for the surrounds and atmos ceiling speaker At 150 watts.

If someone cane link me to how to add a video to a post I just uploaded one on Instagram I will link it to a post to show you around before the changes and then after the change.

thanks Allen

·
Registered
63 Posts
Looks like it is going to be a nice setup when you are done.

What are the second set of towers forward of the LR mains going to be playing? Never saw a setup like that before. Seems like they could muddy up the mains if they are playing the same signals being what appears to be 3 to 5 ft forward of the mains.

Balancing out the bass from the mains will be tricky with the left side being almost corner loaded/ sidewall loaded, and the right having some backwall reinforcement on one and the forward one being freestanding. Time to build a half wall to separate the office and help balance the bass. 😀

After a little over a month, I finally settled on the positioning of my 590's in a stereo music setup.
Between moving around the speaker positions, toe in, playing with different combinations of port plugs, and moving the listening position, I am pretty happy with the bass response and balance in the room. Imaging is also real good in all 3 positions on the couch. Just need to add some sound treatments now to tame things down at higher volumes.

I don't envy the task you are going to have balancing all of those speakers out and integrating subs. That will keep you busy tweaking for months! Part of the fun with this hobby. Let us know how this all turns out when you finish your equipment updates and tuning.

·
Registered
63 Posts
530 is on sale for $290

520C is on sale for $140

[/URL]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like they are continuing to rotate the big discounts through all the Studio 5 series. It almost seems like they are going to discontinue the series, and in fact, they did disappear for a while a few years ago, but then the whole line came back. I guess they want to keep a series priced in the gap between the Stage series and HDI series.....

Can't complain though, good for all of us.
I would probably buy another Sub 550p if they got down to $189.00 again. ( it has been there twice) Don't really need it, but a that price, I will figure out where to use it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Im debating between the 530s and 520C for a 3.0 setup. Just ordered the Wharfedale 11.2 and 11.2 CS and am awaiting their arrival. Both 3.0 are $430.

I had tried the 580s earlier this year, but was vetoed due to my the size and “ugliness”.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Im debating between the 530s and 520C for a 3.0 setup. Just ordered the Wharfedale 11.2 and 11.2 CS and am awaiting their arrival. Both 3.0 are $430.

I had tried the 580s earlier this year, but was vetoed due to my the size and “ugliness”.

Sounds like a nice comparison thread is in order. Should be a nice matchup!! I say go for it with the JBLs and let us know how they compare to the Wharfedales.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Looks like they are continuing to rotate the big discounts through all the Studio 5 series. It almost seems like they are going to discontinue the series, and in fact, they did disappear for a while a few years ago, but then the whole line came back. I guess they want to keep a series priced in the gap between the Stage series and HDI series.....

Can't complain though, good for all of us.
I would probably buy another Sub 550p if they got down to $189.00 again. ( it has been there twice) Don't really need it, but a that price, I will figure out where to use it.
I have a pair of 560p in my theater room and they do a good job. I got them for $289 each. I know they cannot compete with $800 SVS but to me they sound great. They are tight. I have a eD300 sub in my living room that is 14 years old and sometimes it does not turn on automatically. I am wondering if the amp board is getting glitchy. If the 560p goes on sale again I might buy them for my living room but I have not seen the 560p at all lately. Only 550p.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a pair of 560p in my theater room and they do a good job. I got them for $289 each. I know they cannot compete with $800 SVS but to me they sound great. They are tight. I have a eD300 sub in my living room that is 14 years old and sometimes it does not turn on automatically. I am wondering if the amp board is getting glitchy. If the 560p goes on sale again I might buy them for my living room but I have not seen the 560p at all lately. Only 550p.

I did not know that there were 560's, I bought the 550 to use in my office to use with a pair of JBL powered monitors. It is clean and tight, easy to blend with the monitors. It goes more than low enough to cover music. I tend to prefer the sound of sealed subs.

I was initially going to drag it upstairs just to try it out where I just set up a music only system using JBL 590's to see what it might bring to the table.

I just finished tweaking the setup and the 590's are hitting low to mid 30's in room at the MLP. Since I am not listening to organ music, I don't think a sub is going to add much and it would likely take 2 of them to keep up at higher volumes.

If the sale comes up again, I will drag it up to see what it can do, likely keeping the 590's full range and set it up to fill in below about 50 Hz so I don't mess up the great definition I ended up with.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
The 560p has 12” driver and can go lower in frequency. Has more power too. I have a pair of them in my Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 setup. They are individually calibrated using audyssey xt32 subeq. Many times I listen to music with 590 ad full range but for movies I use audyssey and crossover at 60hz.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The 560p has 12” driver and can go lower in frequency. Has more power too. I have a pair of them in my Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 setup. They are individually calibrated using audyssey xt32 subeq. Many times I listen to music with 590 ad full range but for movies I use audyssey and crossover at 60hz.

Thanks, sounds like my thought process of crossing over on the low side vs the usual 80Hz for the 590's is on the right track. Unless we move, the 590's will stay a music only system.

Our HT system is in our great room vs a dedicated media room. When we built our new house, my wife did not want " all those boxes" showing and cluttering up the room. She would not like a sub added in the room. So JBL Studio S series speakers are built in to a large custom wall unit ( not ideal, but it works) and the sub is an infinite baffle manifold system I built that is installed in the basement and fires through a floor grate. Surprises the crap out of people when they dont see any boxes in the room and those 4 - 15" drivers kick in 😁.

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
I have not seen the 560p at all lately. Only 550p.
I don't think I've EVER seen the 560p on JBL's website, ever. How long ago did you buy yours?

4321 - 4340 of 4414 Posts