AVS Forum banner

4341 - 4360 of 4414 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
I don't think I've EVER seen the 560p on JBL's website, ever. How long ago did you buy yours?
Pretty sure I did see it on their website around 3-6 months ago when I was researching the 550p, but I barely looked twice at it since I did NOT hear of any sale prices for it at the time.

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
Pretty sure I did see it on their website around 3-6 months ago when I was researching the 550p, but I barely looked twice at it since I did NOT hear of any sale prices for it at the time.
How much was it selling for? The 550P's regular price is a crazy $600, geez I'm afraid to ask about this "next up" model...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Looks like it is going to be a nice setup when you are done.

What are the second set of towers forward of the LR mains going to be playing? Never saw a setup like that before. Seems like they could muddy up the mains if they are playing the same signals being what appears to be 3 to 5 ft forward of the mains.

Balancing out the bass from the mains will be tricky with the left side being almost corner loaded/ sidewall loaded, and the right having some backwall reinforcement on one and the forward one being freestanding. Time to build a half wall to separate the office and help balance the bass. 😀

After a little over a month, I finally settled on the positioning of my 590's in a stereo music setup.
Between moving around the speaker positions, toe in, playing with different combinations of port plugs, and moving the listening position, I am pretty happy with the bass response and balance in the room. Imaging is also real good in all 3 positions on the couch. Just need to add some sound treatments now to tame things down at higher volumes.

I don't envy the task you are going to have balancing all of those speakers out and integrating subs. That will keep you busy tweaking for months! Part of the fun with this hobby. Let us know how this all turns out when you finish your equipment updates and tuning.
The speaker in front of the LCRs are wides. I never heard them in a setup but I went a head and bought them because the XMC-2 can run them in its set up. It also has Direct speaker setup so it will be making the bass setup. I am about 90% home theater and the front left main in the corner sound fine to me. I will say I plan on either getting my old Yamaha turn table out and putting it in my system Or buy a new turn table to put in my system.

Allen

·
Registered
94 Posts
The speaker in front of the LCRs are wides. I never heard them in a setup but I went a head and bought them because the XMC-2 can run them in its set up. It also has Direct speaker setup so it will be making the bass setup. I am about 90% home theater and the front left main in the corner sound fine to me. I will say I plan on either getting my old Yamaha turn table out and putting it in my system Or buy a new turn table to put in my system.

Allen
I'm also 90% TV/Home theater. I'll be curious how incremental you find wides to be. I have a 5.2.4 setup and am not sure whether 2 more channels would add much. But maybe so.

·
Registered
626 Posts
How much was it selling for? The 550P's regular price is a crazy $600, geez I'm afraid to ask about this "next up" model...
My memory is a bit fuzzy so take that into account, but I wanna say it was around $800. I cannot be completely certain though. Either way, it was well beyond what I would have spent for the sub. I am more than impressed with the 550p for its sale price in my small office, but it lacks authority in my large upstairs living space (not that I expected it to shine in the large space!)

On a side note.... I think I have talked my wife into allowing me a larger sub for that large space. I will update that in the appropriate thread.

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
My memory is a bit fuzzy so take that into account, but I wanna say it was around $800. I cannot be completely certain though. Either way, it was well beyond what I would have spent for the sub. I am more than impressed with the 550p for its sale price in my small office, but it lacks authority in my large upstairs living space (not that I expected it to shine in the large space!)

On a side note.... I think I have talked my wife into allowing me a larger sub for that large space. I will update that in the appropriate thread.
sheesh, $800 is a VTF-3 before shipping! That's what I'd get for your upstairs.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
sheesh, $800 is a VTF-3 before shipping! That's what I'd get for your upstairs.
I would never buy when they are not on sale. I have not seen the 560p in a while I think I bought them 3-4 years ago. I paid $289 each from JBL directly. For that price it was a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would never buy when they are not on sale. I have not seen the 560p in a while I think I bought them 3-4 years ago. I paid $289 each from JBL directly. For that price it was a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree, I would not have bought the 550 at full retail as there are better options that could be bought or built. At < $200, they are a no brainer compared to Subs that normally sell at that price. It is built like a tank and is not a one note sub. Hard to beat for a music system.

JBL Subs used to have a reputation for Subwoofer Amps that are not that durable which was the only thing I was concerned about, but at the price I paid, I was not real worried about it. I live close to Parts Express and could pick up a plate amp pretty quick if needed.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
What does the frequency response of 35hz to 40khz (-6db) mean on the studio 590spec? I know we usually have a response in range with +/-3db. So I am unsure what the above means.

Also with the studio 590s going down to 35hz which is almost going into the subwoofer territory where are you placing your crossovers at? Audyssey came back with 40hz. I set it to 80hz and I use a Klipsch r112sw subwoofer. So wondering what should be the right crossover point. I know I am probably going to get some flak for the Klipsch subwoofer but that was the choice I had at that time. Unless I can sell it I dont want to buy a new one yet. I am just wondering since the speaker goes so low does it pretty much hit the area where it almost does the job of the subwoofer fairly well?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
What does the frequency response of 35hz to 40khz (-6db) mean on the studio 590spec? I know we usually have a response in range with +/-3db. So I am unsure what the above means.

Also with the studio 590s going down to 35hz which is almost going into the subwoofer territory where are you placing your crossovers at? Audyssey came back with 40hz. I set it to 80hz and I use a Klipsch r112sw subwoofer. So wondering what should be the right crossover point. I know I am probably going to get some flak for the Klipsch subwoofer but that was the choice I had at that time. Unless I can sell it I dont want to buy a new one yet. I am just wondering since the speaker goes so low does it pretty much hit the area where it almost does the job of the subwoofer fairly well?

-6db at 35Hz means -3db is probably 40-45Hz. The -3db point is more widely used to compare how low a speaker can go. In a nutshell, the 590 will sound decent without a subwoofer for music, but would likely benefit from having one anyhow, maybe with a 60Hz crossover point. You will ALWAYS need a sub for HT, unless you never watch blockbuster action/thriller movies.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
-6db at 35Hz means -3db is probably 40-45Hz. The -3db point is more widely used to compare how low a speaker can go. In a nutshell, the 590 will sound decent without a subwoofer for music, but would likely benefit from having one anyhow, maybe with a 60Hz crossover point. You will ALWAYS need a sub for HT, unless you never watch blockbuster action/thriller movies.
Should crossover be at 60 or 80hz?

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
JBL seems to be playing around with various price points recently.

Used to be, the 590s were either their regular $1K apiece full retail, or $500 on sale. During the last sale they went down to $450 apiece I think. Then, for the past several weeks they've been steady at $700.

Today they've come down to a new price, $550.

Interesting...

·
Registered
2,087 Posts

Used to be, the 590s were either their regular $1K apiece full retail, or $500 on sale. During the last sale they went down to $450 apiece I think. Then, for the past several weeks they've been steady at $700.

Interesting...
Even at $500 if you called them they would give a 10pct discount. I bet same can be done now. I am surprised they are still selling these given that I thought they were closing out the model.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Should crossover be at 60 or 80hz?

I agree with the rest of the guys with regard to experimenting with your setup. There are a lot of variables at play here. The advantage you appear to have is that you built a dedicated theatre room, so you probably have more latitude in the speaker placements and seating position than most guys do.

Audessey is probably indicating that at least with regard to bass, you have a pretty good setup on position of the mains and the MLP, and are not sitting in a null at real low frequencies.

I would start with the crossover on the low side, maybe 50 to 60 Hz, and either try the sub crawl method for sub placement ( placing sub where your head is seated, the crawl along the floor till you find the location with the best bass, in case you never heard of method).

If that is to big of a PITA, I would use the low crossover and try the sub in/near a corner to take advantage of the gain you pick up in those locations ( maybe 6db) to give the single sub a chance at keeping up with the 590's without overloading it. The lower crossover may also helo in keeping things from getting boomy.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
Even at $500 if you called them they would give a 10pct discount. I bet same can be done now. I am surprised they are still selling these given that I thought they were closing out the model.

oh they've been claiming to discontinue the Studio series for YEARS now. Probably just a sales tactic.

The Studio series is their "gateway" speaker line, they're hoping that once you get a taste you'll eventually upgrade to the much pricier and much more profitable HDI series, is my guess.

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
94 Posts

[/URL]

Interesting...
It is interesting. I bought refurb as I've mentioned for under $500 and they were like new.

Reality is with these speakers is they sound great and have horrible build quality. But once you place them, if you don't move them around much, that build quality doesn't matter to much.

I personally wouldn't buy above that $550 price point.

I wonder how low I could expect 580s to go. Anyone have an opinion of whether they would be straight lateral vs. 263's
oh they've been claiming to discontinue the Studio series for YEARS now. Probably just a sales tactic.

The Studio series is their "gateway" speaker line, they're hoping that once you get a taste you'll eventually upgrade to the much pricier and much more profitable HDI series, is my guess.
This is interesting because the thing about the 590 is the great sound and the terrible build quality. If feels like plywood. But, once you place them, who cares?

I really would love to hear someone who tried their HDI series to see if the difference is really primarily the beautiful build quality.. But I don't want to spend thousands to find out.

I was hell bent on getting Klipsch RF7 iii setup. But I really don't know how much better than the 590s they would be either other than nice build quality (I use multiple subs so not sure the woofer difference would matter)

But I welcome opinions of anyone else who has heard the RF7's or the HDI series vs the 590s

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I agree with the rest of the guys with regard to experimenting with your setup. There are a lot of variables at play here. The advantage you appear to have is that you built a dedicated theatre room, so you probably have more latitude in the speaker placements and seating position than most guys do.

Audessey is probably indicating that at least with regard to bass, you have a pretty good setup on position of the mains and the MLP, and are not sitting in a null at real low frequencies.

I would start with the crossover on the low side, maybe 50 to 60 Hz, and either try the sub crawl method for sub placement ( placing sub where your head is seated, the crawl along the floor till you find the location with the best bass, in case you never heard of method).

If that is to big of a PITA, I would use the low crossover and try the sub in/near a corner to take advantage of the gain you pick up in those locations ( maybe 6db) to give the single sub a chance at keeping up with the 590's without overloading it. The lower crossover may also helo in keeping things from getting boomy.

Just food for thought.
How did you gather this?

·
Registered
63 Posts
How did you gather this?

You said that Audessey indicated a 40Hz crossover be used if you left to its own devices.That implies that the measurements it made when you had it do the analysis in your room showed strong response ar least to that frequency.

Since the measurements made in the one thorough review I had seen on the 590 had the response measured from 40Hz to 20 KHz at +/- 3db, it isn't likely that you would see that good low response in room unless you had things positioned reasonably well. I am not saying there are no dips at other frequencies, since that is unavoidable in most rooms just from floor bounce.

That, plus my own experience in setting up my 590's ( stereo only ) this month led me to that assumption. I had to do a lot of positioning trials with the speakers to get them set up right, with moving the couch back as the final key element to getting out of an area with a null. I am now getting strong response down to the low to middle 30's. My initial setup when I first got them did not have the bass sounding nearly that good.

I do have the benefit of a room that will let those long wavelengths develop. Although the loft they are in is 13.5'x17.25, it is open to the great room in back. When I moved the couch back, the listening position was moved so that it was back in the area open to the hallway on the right, ( rather than being contained within the area of the 3 close walls) so on the axis if the center of the couch, the room is 40+ feet deep and 40+ ft wide. Moving the couch back 1.5 ft in to that area made a huge difference in the bass quantity and quality.

Attached pic is a view from the speakers looking in to the room, to give a visual of what I described.
1610679407331857197911685527587.jpg

4341 - 4360 of 4414 Posts