AVS Forum banner

4901 - 4920 of 5035 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Will be interesting to hear another impression of the A130 vs. the 530. By most accounts they both seem to perform well but with somewhat different character.
I have been debating grabbing the a170's ..i just moved the 530s into the main system.. They do very nicely...

Reactions: Dave in Green

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
22,286 Posts
Will be interesting to hear another impression of the A130 vs. the 530. By most accounts they both seem to perform well but with somewhat different character.
IIRC the A130 does offer a little more mid-bass, which could make a difference to anyone running them without a sub

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
740 Posts
I guess I missed it, but could you point me to this comparison? If you don’t have that, what do you remember on their differences?

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
I guess I missed it, but could you point me to this comparison? If you don’t have that, what do you remember on their differences?
Really just an overall impression from reading multiple reviews and owner comments. For a quick summary you could check the reviews of both the 530 and A130 on ASR which include Klippel measurements. The designs are really quite different. While both have 5.25" woofers the 530 crosses at 1.5 kHz to a compression driver in a bi-radial horn while the A130 crosses at 3.2 kHz to an aluminum dome tweeter in a waveguide.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Toying with the idea of a vertical 570 between my 590s or another 590 horizonal.

Been reading too much about identical LCR being such a game changer. My current setup does not allow an acoustically transparent screen, hence another 590 would need to be horizontal.

A 570 would be closer to having the tweeters within about 10" or one another height wise.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,286 Posts
Toying with the idea of a vertical 570 between my 590s or another 590 horizonal.

Been reading too much about identical LCR being such a game changer. My current setup does not allow an acoustically transparent screen, hence another 590 would need to be horizontal.

A 570 would be closer to having the tweeters within about 10" or one another height wise.

fwiw, I recently replaced my Chane A2.4 with a 3rd 570 so that I could move my subwoofer off center where it does sound much better.

I have no complaints, but I wouldn't call it a "game changer" despite popular folklore.

·
Registered
596 Posts
fwiw, I recently replaced my Chane A2.4 with a 3rd 570 so that I could move my subwoofer off center where it does sound much better.

I have no complaints, but I wouldn't call it a "game changer" despite popular folklore.
Is your center 570 vertical?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My 530's just came in and I couldn't help but to unbox them and see what the ugly ducklings looked like....not as bad as I thought! Even my wife said "Those aren't bad." and she thought they were pretty fugly in the photos lol. Not that it matters, they will be going behind the screen. Now, let's see if they can dethrone my B&Ws that the R162s couldn't....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to all have contributed to this thread. I ordered some JBL 530s @ $250 through the aforementioned deal, kind of an impulse buy but I figured with the return policy it would be pretty safe in case I didn't like. This is for my main system (a 5.1 system but probably do 80% 2.1) I am a little concerned that my system will be lacking in amp for these but, reading here, seems it will be OK for me since I have a sub and don't blast the SPL's (maybe I am misreading)
My setup,

Small to medium room, 10-12 feet listening away
Yamaha AVR RX-v381 (70w into 8 ohms for L/R [I think])
JBL 530s for L/R replacing Pioneer AJ tower FS52s (which I love but couldn't resist the deal)
Center Infinity RC252 (263 never goes on sale when I'm looking and space is at a premium)
SVS PB-1000 Pro Sub (crossed via AVR at 80hz)
Old Micca MB42x for surround

I will be sure to post when I get a chance and see how they do for me. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
70 Posts
This as a battle of three leading technologies. The British coaxial speakers (Kef), the American JBL horns, and the German Heil Air Motion (AMT).

Presently JBL wins competition as the British and German entries are hugely more expensive. Even if price were removed as a consideration, the JBL would win in sound quality with higher dynamics and lower distortion. I have not heard the Kef. The Heil AMT treble would be more refined.

More importantly the JBL is simply the most fun to listen to!

Kef:

$2K

Adam Audio (Heil Air Motion):

$7K

I dont know what type of tweeters horns use, but I know that ribbon tweeters can go low in Hz and play a nice overlap with mids. Wonder if there are horns with ribbon?

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
I dont know what type of tweeters horns use, but I know that ribbon tweeters can go low in Hz and play a nice overlap with mids. Wonder if there are horns with ribbon?
The JBL Studio 5 series uses bi-radial horns with compression drivers that are crossed over at 1.5 kHz which is quite low for a woofer to tweeter crossover in a 2-way speaker. I'm not aware of any 2-way speakers with ribbon tweeters that use a crossover that low.

·
Registered
22,286 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts

See my post above # 4885 , it shows a response from Harman on Studio 590 dispersion pattern, on its side, it is 90 degrees, which is more than enough for a center.

I was asking about it for the same reason you are. The reference to the Array 1400 in the letter is because it is the ( EXPENSIVE) predecessor to the Studio series both, designed by Greg Timbers that had the vertically oriented horn. Go for it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
All, I couldn't take it. Ordered JBL 590's and the matching 520c center. With all the buzz and the generous return period/free shipping, I just had to hear these. I will report back once I get everything received in and setup hopefully sometime early next week.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The 590s are really great. Id buy an Infinity RC263 when they go on sale to replace the 520c but not urgent. Won't set you back much

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 590s are really great. Id buy an Infinity RC263 when they go on sale to replace the 520c but not urgent. Won't set you back much
I thought about that, but for the current price of the 520c I figured I’d give it a fair chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I thought about that, but for the current price of the 520c I figured I’d give it a fair chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The current price is hard to beat..

Reactions: minkyboodle
4901 - 4920 of 5035 Posts