AVS Forum banner

4921 - 4940 of 5035 Posts

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
I got my 530's today. So far I can't say they sound better than the Stage A130's I have. The 530's have too much bass, being too close to the wall(even with the port plugs in). And I raised the crossover to 100. I noticed right away that the A130's play a little louder.

It seems to me the port on the 530 is way too small.

·
Registered
22,286 Posts
I got my 530's today. So far I can't say they sound better than the Stage A130's I have. The 530's have too much bass, being too close to the wall(even with the port plugs in).
That's very surprising...most people report the A130 has a lot more bass, and measurements seem to back that up.
That's the only thing that's keeping me from buying the 530s for desktop use, since I can't use a sub there. How much rear clearance are you giving them?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
That's very surprising...most people report the A130 has a lot more bass, and measurements seem to back that up.
That's the only thing that's keeping me from buying the 530s for desktop use, since I can't use a sub there. How much rear clearance are you giving them?
The 530s aren't bass shy.. They'll have plenty in nearfield.. Edit : nearfield I'd do 130s , but you may like the 530s better, I'm guessing they are less in need of eq in the treble...

Reactions: Kingcarcas

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I got my 530's today. So far I can't say they sound better than the Stage A130's I have. The 530's have too much bass, being too close to the wall(even with the port plugs in). And I raised the crossover to 100. I noticed right away that the A130's play a little louder.

It seems to me the port on the 530 is way too small.
Give it a minute, the 530s always sound like crap compared to the b1s when i first change.. Once your ears get used to them they compete well..

·
Registered
22,286 Posts
The 530s aren't bass shy.. They'll have plenty in nearfield.. Edit : nearfield I'd do 130s , but you may like the 530s better, I'm guessing they are less in need of eq in the treble...
You think the A130s would be brighter?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
You think the A130s would be brighter?
Yes.. The 530s aren't in the same zip code as bright , just on the basis of the aluminum tweeter in the a130s they might be a tad bright.. They wouldn't be ear slappers though...

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
All I can give them is about 4", angled down. But there was no problem with the A130's in the same spot.

·
Registered
22,286 Posts
All I can give them is about 4", angled down. But there was no problem with the A130's in the same spot.
Are you running them full range, or with a crossover? If using a crossover doesn't help or if you have to run them full range, I would try plugging the port---do the 530s come with a foam port plug? If not, try using a sock. This is a crude step but it often works.

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
22,286 Posts
I’ve been watching for a sale on the Infinity for months with no luck. The JBLs have gone on sale 3-4 times in the same time period.
The last Infinity sale ended about 4-6 weeks ago IIRC ... they had the R253 for $150 apiece and I think the R162 for $200/pr and the R12 sub for $170. What they've been holding back on is the RC263, which they've kept selling as an alleged "refurbished" for $350 whereas before it would go on sale for as little as $160.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Are you running them full range, or with a crossover? If using a crossover doesn't help or if you have to run them full range, I would try plugging the port---do the 530s come with a foam port plug? If not, try using a sock. This is a crude step but it often works.
Btw , when i say " bright" as a prediction as to how I'd hear the a130s , i am thinking about like the b1s ...so nothing to fear in the hypothetical.. 😸

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
No. They're set to small, and I raised crossover to 100. I already plugged the port.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
No. They're set to small, and I raised crossover to 100. I already plugged the port.
They shouldn't get boomy with those settings.. Interesting, maybe it's the cramped location... Got mine crossed at 90.. Virtually no air coming from the ports

·
Registered
22,286 Posts
Btw , when i say " bright" as a prediction as to how I'd hear the a130s , i am thinking about like the b1s ...so nothing to fear in the hypothetical.. 😸
Interesting...I never found the B1s to be "bright" in the least.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Interesting...I never found the B1s to be "bright" in the least.
I don't really either but in comparison it's brighter than the 530s.. I would expect similar experience from the a130s

·
Registered
183 Posts
Give it a minute, the 530s always sound like crap compared to the b1s when i first change.. Once your ears get used to them they compete well..
I can't tell you how tame the treble on the 530s and frankly the 590s was when I got them. All you guys will say break in is fools good but I'm telling you. Both those took a while to come through and now they are GREAT

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I can't tell you how tame the treble on the 530s and frankly the 590s was when I got them. All you guys will say break in is fools good but I'm telling you. Both those took a while to come through and now they are GREAT
It's my ears.. The 530s sound like crap every time i listen to the b1s first.. Then as my ears adjust they improve greatly.. I'm guessing the b1 mods are just that much cleaner to my ears... The revel f36s that i heard the other day didn't kick the crap outta the b1 mods for clarity or tonality , but being 6" drivers in a mid size tower had several advantages.. So I'm not dogging on the 5 series at all...

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Are one of these settings wrong possibly in my receiver(Denon S750H). For Subwoofer Mode I'm using LFE. And the LPF for LFE is set to 120. My system is just 2.1 with a 12" Dayton sub.

Thanks.

·
Registered
355 Posts
That's the only thing that's keeping me from buying the 530s for desktop use, since I can't use a sub there.
I think the 530's are terrific for desktop use. I agree they are pretty mellow in terms of bass, but on top of a desk that's what I want. I tried an old pair of M-Audio monitors I had laying around and those were way too boomy and shook the desk too much. Sounded like crap, I had to play with PEQ in Roon them to back them off.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Are one of these settings wrong possibly in my receiver(Denon S750H). For Subwoofer Mode I'm using LFE. And the LPF for LFE is set to 120. My system is just 2.1 with a 12" Dayton sub.

Thanks.
That's just for the LFE (e.g. the ".1" channel). The speaker crossover is different. But you may want to try using 120 as the speaker crossover to to see if that balances better. Does the AVR have Audyssey?

Edit: try using "LFE + Main" if the setting allows it.

4921 - 4940 of 5035 Posts