AVS Forum banner

4941 - 4960 of 5035 Posts

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
That's just for the LFE (e.g. the ".1" channel). The speaker crossover is different. But you may want to try using 120 as the speaker crossover to to see if that balances better. Does the AVR have Audyssey?
Yes. I'm going to run it again. But should my setting be LFE or LFE + MAIN ? It's a 2.1 system, with front speakers set to small.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I'm still under my 30 day return window for the Stage A130. Do you think the Studio 530 would be better for me, and worth returning the A130 ? My use is about 80% home theater, and 20% music(rock, blues, jazz).

Thanks.
If you bought the A-130s at the sale price of less than two Bennys/pair like I did, you could likely score a profit, as none are available until August.

At the sale price they are irresistable, with one of the best small woofers around. There's always a bedroom or desk somewhere that would be happier with them. And for HT they should do well with an 80 Hz xover. The 530s will struggle in home theater with linearity issues below 120 Hz.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Are one of these settings wrong possibly in my receiver(Denon S750H). For Subwoofer Mode I'm using LFE. And the LPF for LFE is set to 120. My system is just 2.1 with a 12" Dayton sub.

Thanks.
If you have DEQ set to ON try setting to OFF.
Not sure about all settings in your AVR. Most Denons I have used have a setting for STEREO listening. If you have this it should also be set to SMALL.
LFE + Mains is almost never recommended.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Thanks. When I asked here a while ago about the 530's, a few guys said they would be great for home theater. :(
The 530s are best used in home theater above 120 Hz with a subwoofer due to substantial low-frequency distortion at higher home-theater levels. Bass distortion is not so bad by itself, but can affect higher frequencies modulated by operation in this red (distorted) zone.

The A-130s calling card is an absence of these limitations due to a superior woofer that would be quite at home in the Revel line. It would be interesting to measure the performance of the 530 with the A-130's woofer -- might be a worthwhile upgrade for the dedicated 530 aficionados if the A-130 goes on sale again.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Thanks. When I asked here a while ago about the 530's, a few guys said they would be great for home theater. :(
They aren't bad at all, it's not like they're going to disintegrate from a sound in a movie.. At hi volume they might lack some composer... Remember , you can return it ...if you are 80% or more ht the a130 is probably better..if music is a big thing then your ears need to decide...all the measurements in the world can't fool them as to what you like...

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I use them for surrounds. For that purpose I find them to be excellent. But I wouldn't use them for fronts. For that I have the 590's and a infinity RC263 center. Which compliments them perfectly.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Well, I gave these 530s a shot against my B&Ws and they came up short. I have been trying to find something with a bit more engaging soundstage and based on some reviews I thought these would do it. They for sure were less clear on the top end (although my B&Ws aren't overly bright contrary to popular opinion around here) and the measurements floating around support that, what I found the most offputting about them was higher pitched male voices seemed to lack depth. That, and the soundstage was a tad worse than my B&Ws, or at least not better in any noticeable way.

I've tried a couple speakers in here and nothing seems to be better or more enveloping. I think I need to move on to trying to treat the room better. I was hoping a speaker replacement would do it but the real fix seems to be my UMIK-1 and REW. Maybe these 530s are better and my room just sucks, I may never know lol.

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Thanks all. I have a few more days to decide. So far though I prefer the A130's.
Don't stress it to hard.. You'll know which you like better.. And don't let us tell your ears what they are hearing...

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
22,287 Posts
It's all relative. I'd certainly take the JBLs over Wharfedales for an HT-dominant setup. But if you are looking for maximum dynamics/detail and a more forward/aggressive presentation to make movies more compelling, Klipsch RP or Hsu CCB-8 would probably be better choices.

Everyone's ears and expectations are different, so it's impossible to predict. With JBL's free return shipping you have lost nothing and now know with 100% certainty what you're really after.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
We tend to grow accustomed to the speakers we're used to listening to until after awhile they sound "normal" to us. Sometimes new speakers are different enough that they don't sound normal. The more time we spend listening to new speakers the more they can grow on us and begin to sound normal. If we then go back to the old speakers they may no longer sound normal. Of course this isn't always the case. But there are plenty of stories right here describing this experience. Some misinterpret our ears adapting over time to the sound of new speakers as hearing the speakers "break in." :)

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The problem is probably the close distance to rear wall, and the tiny ass port on the 530 (n)
just send them back then.. look into other options .. there is the "buy once cry once" theory (i'm getting to this point) .. .. give the revel m16 a shot.. i listened to its big bro the f 36 at a dealer last week .. if they are pretty similar the m16 at $900 or less from a dealer is going to be hard to beat ...

Reactions: Kingcarcas

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
We tend to grow accustomed to the speakers we're used to listening to until after awhile they sound "normal" to us. Sometimes new speakers are different enough that they don't sound normal. The more time we spend listening to new speakers the more they can grow on us and begin to sound normal. If we then go back to the old speakers they may no longer sound normal. Of course this isn't always the case. But there are plenty of stories right here describing this experience. Some misinterpret our ears adapting over time to the sound of new speakers as hearing the speakers "break in." :)
I’ve wondered this exact thing about myself. But, I don’t know how to “fix” it!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think both factors come in to play in varying degrees, depending on the speakers. My " normal" for 19 years has been the JBL Studio S series ( all of these are 3 ways) used in the HT system, which is still used every day when watching TV.
When I got the 590's ( no prior audition) I knew I was going to like them, but initially they sounded brighter/ hotter than the S Series ( and still do) and maybe a bit harsh at times. Part of this may be that I sit at least 3 feet closer and am getting more direct sound. I know the speakers have broken in some, primarily in the bass as the woofers broke in and I had to plug one of the ports to help tame the bass, this was not my ears adjusting. In the treble, except for rare occasions at high SPL, the harshness I sometime heard is gone, but they still sound bright ( frequency response says they are not) to me.
Since I listen to my 19 year "normal" every day, there is no " break in" adaptation of my ears creating a new normal. They are just different, but both do things that are important to me that I look for in a system, great low and high level dynamics and the ability to play 100+ db at the MLP and not sound like thay are straining,while having relatively flat response. The 590's are better in avoiding strain, cones and domes generally will break up sooner than a compression driver.

4941 - 4960 of 5035 Posts