AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JBL Synthesis 2 Loudspeaker System. THX Certified. In very good condition. This is an awesome sounding JBL 5.1 speaker system, in very good condition electrically and cosmetically. About 15 years old. The cabinets and grills are all in good condition. Each loudspeaker has been double checked and listened to and all loudspeakers work properly, and the system generally sounds great! High accuracy, quality JBL sound for a medium to larger sized listening area. As with any loudspeaker system of this caliber, the quality of the amplification utilized affects the overall experience.

This sale is for the loudspeakers only and 5.1 channels of amplified audio (including a subwoofer amplifier) will be required to power this speaker system. Overall, these speakers are very wide range and very well balanced for both surround movie listening AND high fidelity stereo audio listening! These loudspeakers were the heart of the installed JBL Synthesis System 2 along with the (not included) SDP-3 Digital Surround Processor/System Controller, SDEC2400A Digital Equalizer, S7150 7 Channel Amplifier and S800 2 Channel Amplifier. The entire system installed, had the manufacturers suggested retail price of $20,000. Most of these electronics are available on eBay for modest prices if the buyer is interested in restoring this to a complete original system.

Included are:
(2) JBL S2M L/R Front 3-way speakers. These speakers feature relay control to switch between compression driver and horn or dome mid range speaker (for listening to movies in 5.1 surround or listening to music in stereo).
(2) JBL S2S Subwoofers. 15" JBL non-powered subwoofers.
(1) JBL S2C Center Channel. 2-way wide-range speaker.
(2) JBL S2A Surround Speakers. 2-way dipole ambient compact speakers
Included is a custom relay switch for the horn / midrange selection.

You can read all of the specifications available about this speaker system here AND you can see complete pictures of the system and each of the 7 speaker cabinets HERE.

There are a few minor cosmetic issues, but overall they look and work very good. Cosmetic Issues:
L -- Some front edge wear, rear dings.
C -- Horn is missing a screw and its flange ends are cracked
R -- Rear scratches
S2 -- Badge is missing
Surrounds --
-There are no "front" grilles
-There is some light paint on the grilles and speakers
-I do not have wall clips for these speakers available

Depending on what type of corrective EQ, amplification and source material can sound anywhere from pretty damn good to excellent. For surround sound they are a bit forward sounding, and have a wide dynamic ranee. I got the system from a local installer who did a massive upgrade to a wealthy home system. A friend suggest AVS forum so I am offering now offering them here for $2250.

I might be up for splitting up the system and selling the front S2M L&R front mains and the two S2S subwoofers, as I would like to keep the S2C center channel to augment my regular home theater that uses two 4350s. :). That means that the S2As would also be available should it be divided up. Personally I think this system would be best left "whole", as it very well balanced and finding a good audiophile surround speaker system is never very easy to do.

Shipping: Local pickup in the Phoenix AZ area is of course available. Shipping could be accomplished one of several ways. I think the best shipping for these speakers would be to use uship.com, a reverse-bidding shipping site that lets independent nationwide shippers bid on each shipment to get a competitively lower price. The speakers would likely be blanket wrapped and strapped. Or, they could be crated, palletized or boxed and shipped via conventional means (UPS, Fedex, Freight). I will help. I will offer to meet and hand off the speakers to a California buyer in Blythe, CA for $200. Of course, shipping is at the buyer's expense. Total weight is approximately 400 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
JBL Synthesis 2 Loudspeaker System. THX Certified. In very good condition. This is an awesome sounding JBL 5.1 speaker system, in very good condition electrically and cosmetically. About 15 years old. The cabinets and grills are all in good condition. Each loudspeaker has been double checked and listened to and all loudspeakers work properly, and the system generally sounds great! High accuracy, quality JBL sound for a medium to larger sized listening area. As with any loudspeaker system of this caliber, the quality of the amplification utilized affects the overall experience.

This sale is for the loudspeakers only and 5.1 channels of amplified audio (including a subwoofer amplifier) will be required to power this speaker system. Overall, these speakers are very wide range and very well balanced for both surround movie listening AND high fidelity stereo audio listening! These loudspeakers were the heart of the installed JBL Synthesis System 2 along with the (not included) SDP-3 Digital Surround Processor/System Controller, SDEC2400A Digital Equalizer, S7150 7 Channel Amplifier and S800 2 Channel Amplifier. The entire system installed, had the manufacturers suggested retail price of $20,000. Most of these electronics are available on eBay for modest prices if the buyer is interested in restoring this to a complete original system.

Included are:
(2) JBL S2M L/R Front 3-way speakers. These speakers feature relay control to switch between compression driver and horn or dome mid range speaker (for listening to movies in 5.1 surround or listening to music in stereo).
(2) JBL S2S Subwoofers. 15" JBL non-powered subwoofers.
(1) JBL S2C Center Channel. 2-way wide-range speaker.
(2) JBL S2A Surround Speakers. 2-way dipole ambient compact speakers
Included is a custom relay switch for the horn / midrange selection.

You can read all of the specifications available about this speaker system here AND you can see complete pictures of the system and each of the 7 speaker cabinets HERE.

There are a few minor cosmetic issues, but overall they look and work very good. Cosmetic Issues:
L -- Some front edge wear, rear dings.
C -- Horn is missing a screw and its flange ends are cracked
R -- Rear scratches
S2 -- Badge is missing
Surrounds --
-There are no "front" grilles
-There is some light paint on the grilles and speakers
-I do not have wall clips for these speakers available

Depending on what type of corrective EQ, amplification and source material can sound anywhere from pretty damn good to excellent. For surround sound they are a bit forward sounding, and have a wide dynamic ranee. I got the system from a local installer who did a massive upgrade to a wealthy home system. A friend suggest AVS forum so I am offering now offering them here for $2250.

I might be up for splitting up the system and selling the front S2M L&R front mains and the two S2S subwoofers, as I would like to keep the S2C center channel to augment my regular home theater that uses two 4350s. :). That means that the S2As would also be available should it be divided up. Personally I think this system would be best left "whole", as it very well balanced and finding a good audiophile surround speaker system is never very easy to do.

Shipping: Local pickup in the Phoenix AZ area is of course available. Shipping could be accomplished one of several ways. I think the best shipping for these speakers would be to use uship.com, a reverse-bidding shipping site that lets independent nationwide shippers bid on each shipment to get a competitively lower price. The speakers would likely be blanket wrapped and strapped. Or, they could be crated, palletized or boxed and shipped via conventional means (UPS, Fedex, Freight). I will help. I will offer to meet and hand off the speakers to a California buyer in Blythe, CA for $200. Of course, shipping is at the buyer's expense. Total weight is approximately 400 lbs.
Is this still for sale?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 7 of 7 Posts