AVS Forum banner

2201 - 2220 of 2731 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
After lurking the thread for the past couple months, a couple questions for any of the owners of the SDP-55 that would like to chime in

-Given the current issues still with the firmware, is it still worth it to purchase the SDP-55 vs another 16 channel processor at the same price point?
-Anyone come from an Emotiva RMC-1 to the SDP and regret it or vice versa?
-What was your previous processor and what was it that you were looking to get from the SDP-55?
-If you were a potential buyer, would you wait until all the bugs in the FW are figured out or does it work sufficiently enough to purchase now or run away and purchase a different brand entirely?
1. I've had a (non-arcam) 16 chl processor for 15 months, then returned it … scared it would take years to implement all the features … scared I would be stuck with old technology by then. Small development team was root cause of slow bug fix turnaround times.
2. Most 16 chl audio processors are in beta and have slow bug fix turnaround times … which seems to be the norm across multiple 16 chl manufacturers (not just arcam). Don't know if this translates into them having small development teams, but my experience says this might be the case … don't know.
3. New 16chl Audio processors sound really, really, really good. Very intoxicating.
4. If you don't want to be a beta tester, then be happy with the features that currently work and don't expect anything else. Otherwise, you'll be very unhappy over the long haul. If so, see 8. below. :)
5. If you want to be a beta tester, demand a beta price for the unit. The more promised features that don't work, the lower the price. That's just my opinion. :)
6. Listen to owners for what works and "work arounds" for bugs. Some paid professional reviewers have an agenda. Some owners that know a lot about the product have agendas, too. Just beware this is reality.
7. Owners sometimes come across as annoying … sometimes really annoying … which is not a bad thing if you understand why. This is common across multiple manufacture threads. These people are good people … but, aren't made to be beta testers. I've seen really nice, happy and technology competent people turn into really annoying people. These people have all the data to support their bug issues, but get no bug fixes over long periods of time. Sometimes these once happy and astute people actually get banned from threads. Yiiikes!
8. If you've been disappointed with your purchase and can't return the product, sing this song from "Ford vs. Ferrari" every day: "I'm H-A-P-P-Y, I'm H-A-P-P-Y. I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm H-A-P-P-Y." Repeat this until you feel better. Works for me … not that I've been banned or anything. lol. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got my SDP-55 this saturday. Did the update to the newest firmware and then the Dirac measurement. Reading this thread I was worried with both, but it was totally trouble free. Furthermore I have no clicking, hissing or other sound problems from the speakers. So all in all better than expected.

But I think I have a problem with the Dirac filters. Using DBC the sound was very thin, with very few bass. I had other Dirac processors in my setup, so I can clearly say it sounds different. I would even go so far to say I don't like it. So calculating the filters again this time without DBC solved this problem. The sound was much better with much more bass, the way I knew it from other Dirac processors. So it seems DBC made the bass sound worse not better in my setup. The total opposite what DBC should do. At the moment I am not sure, if this is a problem with Dirac or a problem with Arcam/JBL.

Furthermore, 2 things I don't like: The volume changes very slowly and only in 1 dB steps and the on screen menu looks like a 10 year old unit. The on screen volume display is embarrassing.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I got my SDP-55 this saturday. Did the update to the newest firmware and then the Dirac measurement. Reading this thread I was worried with both, but it was totally trouble free. Furthermore I have no clicking, hissing or other sound problems from the speakers. So all in all better than expected.

But I think I have a problem with the Dirac filters. Using DBC the sound was very thin, with very few bass. I had other Dirac processors in my setup, so I can clearly say it sounds different. I would even go so far to say I don't like it. So calculating the filters again this time without DBC solved this problem. The sound was much better with much more bass, the way I knew it from other Dirac processors. So it seems DBC made the bass sound worse not better in my setup. The total opposite what DBC should do. At the moment I am not sure, if this is a problem with Dirac or a problem with Arcam/JBL.

Furthermore, 2 things I don't like: The volume changes very slowly and only in 1 dB steps and the on screen menu looks like a 10 year old unit. The on screen volume display is embarrassing.
There is now a dedicated Dirac live thread that some Dirac gurus frequent (and you may get a response from one of them here as well). You might try posting your observation there—there could be a solution to the problem.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

Guessing you may have similar issues to me, try without Dirac BC and I suspect it will sound fine. The 1.32 was a feature release so things should start to stabilise over the next firmware or two (Or as stable as these get for now).

·
Registered
461 Posts

If you are using Dirac's auto curve the bass will be flat but lack the punch most people crave. You have to implement a custom curve to keep the bass flat but give it presence. See attachments for measured and corrected with a custom curve. Also go to the Official Dirac Live Thread for help. The OP has custom curves done for different bass boost. I like to create my own starting one octave above the crossover and elevating all the way to below 20Hz.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Can any users comment on the Network and Streaming features? Are they fully implemented and working per the specs? I'm particularly interested in Spotify Connect as I have a premium membership and love the convenience.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Guessing you may have similar issues to me, try without Dirac BC and I suspect it will sound fine. The 1.32 was a feature release so things should start to stabilise over the next firmware or two (Or as stable as these get for now).
As I wrote, I already did this and it was fine without DBC. But who is to blame? Dirac or JBL?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Can any users comment on the Network and Streaming features? Are they fully implemented and working per the specs? I'm particularly interested in Spotify Connect as I have a premium membership and love the convenience.
AFAIK they are working fairly well on the streaming side with most of the bugs dealt with about 3 months ago. Quite a few Spotify and Tidal users in the UK with the new JBL/Arcams.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
As I wrote, I already did this and it was fine without DBC. But who is to blame? Dirac or JBL?
Probably JBL, for me the LFE channel goes missing when BC is enabled. I have not bothered officially reporting this one as we are likely to get a new release this Friday and they tend to solve these sort of issues fairly quickly. If the next release doesn't fix it then make sure you get it reported to JBL.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't think anyone knows the answer to that question over here.
And it doesn't matter,too, at the moment, because 1.32 is the first firmware with DBC and Dirac put out quite a few updates out in the last weeks. It is simply work in progress atm.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
AFAIK they are working fairly well on the streaming side with most of the bugs dealt with about 3 months ago. Quite a few Spotify and Tidal users in the UK with the new JBL/Arcams.
How do you set up Spotify connect with the JBL? I open the app but it doesnt see the JBL as a device on the network. JBL is connected by ethernet.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
How do you set up Spotify connect with the JBL? I open the app but it doesnt see the JBL as a device on the network. JBL is connected by ethernet.
I don't use Spotify but you might need to go to the IP address in your browser and do the very short setup wizard (It is a Google type thing not Spotify specific)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Has anyone reported the multi channel sound browser bug?

Play any 3 or more channel track from you tube and it will only stream in only 2 channels. Atmos etc. Marantz plays them correctly.
Edge, Explorer, Chrome and Firefox. Go into the sound setting and add multy channel to no effect.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Has anyone reported the multi channel sound browser bug?

Play any 3 or more channel track from you tube and it will only stream in only 2 channels. Atmos etc. Marantz plays them correctly.
Edge, Explorer, Chrome and Firefox. Go into the sound setting and add multy channel to no effect.

I don’t think YouTube supports multi channel audio anymore. All the 4K/Atmos tracks you see on the site actually stream in 2 channel. I believe they did support multi channel at some point but a few years ago quietly switched to on 2 channel.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Cross posting from Dirac thread

I reran my DL setup on JBL SDP-55 with the new 3.0 app and DLBC. I am actually pretty disappointed with the results at the moment. All the hype for nothing tbh. Bass is shockingly anemic. I was watching Transformers demo clips with the default DLBC curve and couldn't feel anything. DLBC with 3 DB boost was only slight improvement. The default Dirac curve sounded the best without any DLBC enabled. I have uploaded a new curve with +6DB boost below crossover and will give it a try.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
If you are using Dirac's auto curve the bass will be flat but lack the punch most people crave. You have to implement a custom curve to keep the bass flat but give it presence. See attachments for measured and corrected with a custom curve. Also go to the Official Dirac Live Thread for help. The OP has custom curves done for different bass boost. I like to create my own starting one octave above the crossover and elevating all the way to below 20Hz.
Can you apply Harman curves with DLBC? Do you apply curve first and than calculate bass filters?

Once BC is enabled, I was not able apply any other curve to Subs but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Can you apply Harman curves with DLBC? Do you apply curve first and than calculate bass filters?

Once BC is enabled, I was not able apply any other curve to Subs but I may be wrong.
Apply the curve to all speaker groups. Now I set the curtains to subs HF roll off and then let BC calculate. I believe Marcus has 4 Harman curves with different LF boost. The curve I use came from Kevin Kent at Harman I can send my curves if you would like. I am going to give Marcus's curves a try as soon as I have time.

2201 - 2220 of 2731 Posts