AVS Forum banner

2221 - 2240 of 2731 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Super happy for the sdp-55 sounds better than all I have tried in my home. Already got the feeling this is it when I tried it at my dealer against other brands. But now at my home everything falls into place.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
What huge speakers are those!?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi guys,
Im really thinking of replacing my denon avr-x7200wa to the jbl sdp-55. I have only 1 question, does anybody on this thread knows if the sdp-55 has a video upscaler/converter ? Which can convert video sources from 1080i,1080p to 4k.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Hi guys,
Im really thinking of replacing my denon avr-x7200wa to the jbl sdp-55. I have only 1 question, does anybody on this thread knows if the sdp-55 has a video upscaler/converter ? Which can convert video sources from 1080i,1080p to 4k.
I don't believe there is any video conversion. This applies to pretty much all modern high end prepros, why do you want that? (Normally the display itself does a better job of upscaling)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't believe there is any video conversion. This applies to pretty much all modern high end prepros, why do you want that? (Normally the display itself does a better job of upscaling)
Tks for the reply. 2 of my sources are 1080i and 1080p. I’m using Sony 760es pj and does not convert. So my present avr does convert everything to 4k.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Something isn't adding up here. Either

1)the Sony 760 ES is a 4k projector and will convert everything for you (a 4k projector cannot display 1080P/I natively...it is a fixed pixel panel and can only display 4K)
or
2)the sony 760 ES is a 1080P projector and 1080P projectors can't display 4k and so conversion won't do anything

I am 99% sure the 760 ES is native 4k so #1 would apply here. Maybe you want a better scaler than whats internal in 760 ES and are hoping the JBL would do it better than the Sony. Hopefully I am not missing the obvious :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I did my Dirac measurement again, and the result is more or less the same. With Dirac Bass Control the sound is very thin and bass nearly non existant. Without DBC on the other hand the bass is almost too much and doesn't sound very controlled. I have to say this is no where near the results with other processors with Dirac I already tested.

One thing I was wondering: Arcam provides a calibration file for the mic, JBL doesn't. Wouldn't you need a calibration file for the JBL too, since I guess the mic is more or less the same.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
So I did my Dirac measurement again, and the result is more or less the same. With Dirac Bass Control the sound is very thin and bass nearly non existant. Without DBC on the other hand the bass is almost too much and doesn't sound very controlled. I have to say this is no where near the results with other processors with Dirac I already tested.

One thing I was wondering: Arcam provides a calibration file for the mic, JBL doesn't. Wouldn't you need a calibration file for the JBL too, since I guess the mic is more or less the same.

It appears that the mics are same but I wasn't able to find an official confirmation on this. I used the Arcam file for calibration last time but used UMIK for my most recent measurements.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Dirac just quick being able to be enabled on my 55 - I turned it off while playing a DTS-HD sountrack, and now it will not re-engage. Either from the direct access on the remote or in the menu. It shows as an active selection in slot one, but cannot be selected. Weird. Power cycles dont affect this. Guess I will re-upload? On 1.32.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Dirac just quick being able to be enabled on my 55 - I turned it off while playing a DTS-HD sountrack, and now it will not re-engage. Either from the direct access on the remote or in the menu. It shows as an active selection in slot one, but cannot be selected. Weird. Power cycles dont affect this. Guess I will re-upload? On 1.32.

Did you try the WebUI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I had two of my three calibrations just disappear! Everything in place one day. Turned on the 55 the next day and only one Dirac calibration left. Weird.

Also, my 55 stopped recognizing ripped BD files as Atmos. Just sees Dolby TrueHD.

Today would be a good day for a new firmware.... Just saying'...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Swan f2.2a they are divided in 3 pc each so yeah they are big and heavy but sounds really good . But they need alot of power so have at the moment a rotel rb-1590 .

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Sweet lord!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I had two of my three calibrations just disappear! Everything in place one day. Turned on the 55 the next day and only one Dirac calibration left. Weird.

Also, my 55 stopped recognizing ripped BD files as Atmos. Just sees Dolby TrueHD.

Today would be a good day for a new firmware.... Just saying'...
It's summer, they're on breaks. 3-4 weeks now :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been building a new theater in my basement Over the last 6 months and it was finally competed a couple weeks ago. I had the audiocontrol x7 and 2 audiocontrol amps up and running over the last week. Didn’t want to post anything until I had some time under my belt. Man was it a learning curve with Dirac. After many hours working through it I have done 2 calibrations, the first didn’t go so well. I have uploaded 2 curves one being the +6db and the second the +10db curve. The +10db was alittle to much for me. My question is with Dirac enabled I have a pretty loud hiss coming from all speakers, if I turn Dirac off it goes away. Second if my center channel seems low do I up the volume in Dirac or can I just turn it up in the processor.

2221 - 2240 of 2731 Posts