AVS Forum banner

2241 - 2260 of 2691 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
I keep coming to this thread hoping to see the latest FW was the magical fix and this turned into the awesome piece of AV gear we were all hoping for.
I wonder which will take longer - a proper functioning SDP-55 or Ohio State winning another National Championship :D:p

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Second if my center channel seems low do I up the volume in Dirac or can I just turn it up in the processor.
I think that relative volume settings inside and outside Dirac are exclusive. That is, once you enable Dirac, it takes over the volume settings so changes made outside Dirac (that is, in the processor's level settings) will have no effect on Dirac channel balances.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Something isn't adding up here. Either

1)the Sony 760 ES is a 4k projector and will convert everything for you (a 4k projector cannot display 1080P/I natively...it is a fixed pixel panel and can only display 4K)
or
2)the sony 760 ES is a 1080P projector and 1080P projectors can't display 4k and so conversion won't do anything

I am 99% sure the 760 ES is native 4k so #1 would apply here. Maybe you want a better scaler than whats internal in 760 ES and are hoping the JBL would do it better than the Sony. Hopefully I am not missing the obvious :)
This is not the thread to discuss about projectors so I’m gonna make it short and sweet. A native 4k pj can play various resolutions, u can check Sony 760es spec sheet. I know I’m using one. The 760es does not convert resolution. Anyway I got my answer that sdp55 does not have a video scaler/converter. Please get ur facts right before u r sure of ur 99% certainty. So it ends here.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have been building a new theater in my basement Over the last 6 months and it was finally competed a couple weeks ago. I had the audiocontrol x7 and 2 audiocontrol amps up and running over the last week. Didn’t want to post anything until I had some time under my belt. Man was it a learning curve with Dirac. After many hours working through it I have done 2 calibrations, the first didn’t go so well. I have uploaded 2 curves one being the +6db and the second the +10db curve. The +10db was alittle to much for me. My question is with Dirac enabled I have a pretty loud hiss coming from all speakers, if I turn Dirac off it goes away. Second if my center channel seems low do I up the volume in Dirac or can I just turn it up in the processor.
Tbere is a X7 tread here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3148982-audiocontrol-maestro-x7-9-1-6-immersive-av-preamp-processor.html

·
Registered
373 Posts
I got the JBL Synthesis 55 this week and finally have time to hook it up this weekend due to a long week at work. I am trying to figure out how to configure the speaker types on the JBL and the manual and GUI are lacking.

Currently I have a 7.2.4 system (will be 9.2.4 in July) and not sure how it should be configured.

The LCR and first subwoofer is simple enough.

I assume I should hook the second sub, front sub, on channel 13 so it would be independent of the first sub.

I am confused with the Atmos, height, speakers though. Setting the front heights seems simple enough but the JBL doesn't allow the rear heights to be selected unless I enable surround back speakers (which I do not have).

I see the option to configure the 5 & 6 channels to what you which leads me to be even more confused.

Can anyone who went through this before help with this?

Tx

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
This is not the thread to discuss about projectors so I’m gonna make it short and sweet. A native 4k pj can play various resolutions, u can check Sony 760es spec sheet. I know I’m using one. The 760es does not convert resolution. Anyway I got my answer that sdp55 does not have a video scaler/converter. Please get ur facts right before u r sure of ur 99% certainty. So it ends here.
AND YOU WOULD BE WRONG :) Every 4k panel in the world (flat panel or projector) has to scale everything to the native resolution of panel. Every pixel is always "on" or else the tv would have a bunch of black pixels that aren't being activated...which would make the picture look like a joke. Thats how LCD, LCOS, OLED,etc...all work. All of them :)

Don't confuse what signal you can feed a flat panel TV or projector with what its actually displaying. The Sony projectors accepts a lot of resolutions (true 4K, 1080 p/i, , 720 P/I, 480 P/I, etc... and will convert them to 4k).

Here is one of many articles that confirm this:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-ultra-hd/#:~:text=Yes, 4K Ultra HD TVs,or rendered in SD resolution.

Can 4K Ultra HD TVs play Full HD (1080p) content?
Yes, 4K Ultra HD TVs can play Full HD content, but it won’t be displayed in the standard 1920 x 1080 resolution we’ve all come to know and love. Instead, to fill the extra pixels that make up a 4K Ultra HD screen, the content first has to be upscaled. The same applies to content shot or rendered in SD resolution.

and one more:
http://www.projectorsir.com/faq/what-is-native-resolution-and-does-it-matter/

How does the projector handle a signal in a resolution other than its native resolution?
If the input resolution is higher (as high as the maximum) or lower than the native resolution, the projector will convert the signal to the native resolution using a process called scaling.

Imagine a projector with a native resolution of 1280×720 capable of handling up to 1080i HD signals. Without scaling, the projector won’t be able to handle 1080i content because the 1920×1080 resolution obviously has more pixels than the device’s micro-display which only has 1280×720 pixels. To display higher resolution content, the projector automatically down-scales (compresses) pixels in the input feed to its native resolution. In this example, if the input were 4K (4096×2160), the projector won’t work since its maximum resolution is only 1080i.

If the input is of a lower resolution, say, 640×480, the opposite scenario happens. This same projector will automatically upscale (expand) the content to fit into its larger native resolution of 1280×720.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got the JBL Synthesis 55 this week and finally have time to hook it up this weekend due to a long week at work. I am trying to figure out how to configure the speaker types on the JBL and the manual and GUI are lacking.

Currently I have a 7.2.4 system (will be 9.2.4 in July) and not sure how it should be configured.

The LCR and first subwoofer is simple enough.

I assume I should hook the second sub, front sub, on channel 13 so it would be independent of the first sub.

I am confused with the Atmos, height, speakers though. Setting the front heights seems simple enough but the JBL doesn't allow the rear heights to be selected unless I enable surround back speakers (which I do not have).

I see the option to configure the 5 & 6 channels to what you which leads me to be even more confused.

Can anyone who went through this before help with this?

Tx
Assuming the setup is the same as the Arcam you should say Sub None and then have your pair of of subs on 13 & 14.
I can select rear heights OK without the rear surrounds too so I'd have expected that to be OK for you.
I'm accessing via the Web interface.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I had planned on letting Dirac do all the channel leveling work but since it's still not reliable, is the handheld sound pressure meter still the defacto method of leveling all channels? Any particular model the best to buy these days? Or something I can do easier or better through REW?
Do you have a Umik-1 mic? If not pick one up to use with REW that has a SPL function but you can also use the mic for Dirac.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Assuming the setup is the same as the Arcam you should say Sub None and then have your pair of of subs on 13 & 14.
I can select rear heights OK without the rear surrounds too so I'd have expected that to be OK for you.
I'm accessing via the Web interface.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I had planned on letting Dirac do all the channel leveling work but since it's still not reliable, is the handheld sound pressure meter still the defacto method of leveling all channels? Any particular model the best to buy these days? Or something I can do easier or better through REW?
Do you have a Umik-1 mic? If not pick one up to use with REW that has a SPL function but you can also use the mic for Dirac.
I have a Dayton UMM-6. Is the UMIK enough of an upgrade to warrant a purchase if I already have the Dayton?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have a Dayton UMM-6. Is the UMIK enough of an upgrade to warrant a purchase if I already have the Dayton?
Just use the Dayton mic and not worth replacing. I would use it for Dirac too. I haven't had SPL issues with Dirac. I think it balances my speakers pretty well.

2241 - 2260 of 2691 Posts