AVS Forum banner

3421 - 3440 of 3867 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Any DANTE users on here who can confirm whether this thing is capable of decoding TrueHD/Atmos and DTS-HD from a Blu Ray player source,doing some basic bass management and spitting the processed signal out via DANTE yet?
This is really all I need from it!

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
UHD discs with DV can now be ripped to MKV with the DV intact by MakeMKV. Apparently on the Nvidia Shield there is a beta of Plex and a version of Exo player (needs side loading) that will play the MKVs. I haven't tried either yet but it doesn't sound like either player is 100% yet.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Are you talking about ripped bd or physical disc's? Ripped bd's would be uploaded to the Plex for playback.
Ripped.
I'm not aware that Plex is able to play those natively, I'm talking about full structured disc rips with menus, not mkvs. Unless you are talking about a Plex addon on Kodi?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I calibrated my system last night, everything worked perfect. Didn’t have any hookups and loaded the filter perfectly. Is there a way to calibrate your base? I know you can calibrate the base with your speakers, but is there a way to just test your base speaker individually like on REW to find the best result for my room?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
UHD discs with DV can now be ripped to MKV with the DV intact by MakeMKV. Apparently on the Nvidia Shield there is a beta of Plex and a version of Exo player (needs side loading) that will play the MKVs. I haven't tried either yet but it doesn't sound like either player is 100% yet.
I think Emby too. I hope CoreELEC can be able to add support for those as well. Plex is fully useable only on NV Shield and I don't own one or plan to atm.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Upon receiving the SDP-55 last week, my cinema was finally completed last weekend after spending 3 years slowly chipping away through the build process as funds became available. Last night I watched Ready Player One and was treated to one of the best sounding movie experiences I've encountered. Yes, I do see some of the bugs with the processor such as Atmos didn't seem to work with my 9.1.6 setup (4 subs via MiniDSP 2x4HD) and the bass seemed nearly non-existent with any level of Dirac bass management enabled (3.0.9) so I left it off for the movie but still used a Dirac filter. However, when watching that movie I caught myself grinning like an idiot multiple times throughout as I was treated to a great sounding processor.

While the problems are a bummer, being from the software industry I am accustomed to dealing with bugs we seemed to be forced into with this Arcam firmware. Too bad the development is more incremental rather than iterative. I'm excited to see what is coming next for the processor after getting a taste of what it can do last night. I'll be looking for the trick/workaround to get Atmos to kick-on.

For what it's worth, I'm using 1.36 based on some recommendations from folks on this forum. I did briefly try 1.40 but the mode switching seemed problematic in the four hours I was on the version putting my system through initial trials. I've had no issues changing firmware twice now via USB with an old Lexar 16gb drive I found in the back of my junk drawer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What exactly doesn't work with Atmos on this unit? Does it just not recognise and decode it? In that case what do you get? TrueHD I'm guessing? Can I ask what you are using as a source as a few people seem to be having trouble with Atmos via eARC?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
What exactly doesn't work with Atmos on this unit? Does it just not recognise and decode it? In that case what do you get? TrueHD I'm guessing? Can I ask what you are using as a source as a few people seem to be having trouble with Atmos via eARC?
I did not spend a lot of time experimenting on that. The time last night was spent on getting the bass to come through. From what I could tell while sorting through the modes, Atmos was not always in the rotation but when I landed on TrueHD one time I did see it switch by itself to Atmos. It also showed Atmos on the processor display. I wasn't getting sound from any of the 6 ceiling speakers. I also tried switching to Dolby Surround and didn't get any sound from ceiling speakers in that mode either. I didn't try any other modes. This is with Dirac enabled (bass control off). I didn't try with Dirac disabled.

This was a disc movie from a Panasonic DP-UB9000 > SDP-55 > JVC Projector. I have the projector plugged into the 2nd display output on the processor. I wanted to do everything possible to bypass eARC. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hmm, thanks for your reply. This is almost exactly how I'm hoping to use it except I also want Dante outputs which I don't think work properly yet either.
Still on the edge of buying one of these but it's a lot of cash to gamble that these issues will eventually get sorted with firmware updates given the amount of time they've had to get it sorted so far!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Upon receiving the SDP-55 last week, my cinema was finally completed last weekend after spending 3 years slowly chipping away through the build process as funds became available. Last night I watched Ready Player One and was treated to one of the best sounding movie experiences I've encountered. Yes, I do see some of the bugs with the processor such as Atmos didn't seem to work with my 9.1.6 setup (4 subs via MiniDSP 2x4HD) and the bass seemed nearly non-existent with any level of Dirac bass management enabled (3.0.9) so I left it off for the movie but still used a Dirac filter. However, when watching that movie I caught myself grinning like an idiot multiple times throughout as I was treated to a great sounding processor.

While the problems are a bummer, being from the software industry I am accustomed to dealing with bugs we seemed to be forced into with this Arcam firmware. Too bad the development is more incremental rather than iterative. I'm excited to see what is coming next for the processor after getting a taste of what it can do last night. I'll be looking for the trick/workaround to get Atmos to kick-on.

For what it's worth, I'm using 1.36 based on some recommendations from folks on this forum. I did briefly try 1.40 but the mode switching seemed problematic in the four hours I was on the version putting my system through initial trials. I've had no issues changing firmware twice now via USB with an old Lexar 16gb drive I found in the back of my junk drawer.
Hmm, thanks for your reply. This is almost exactly how I'm hoping to use it except I also want Dante outputs which I don't think work properly yet either.
Still on the edge of buying one of these but it's a lot of cash to gamble that these issues will eventually get sorted with firmware updates given the amount of time they've had to get it sorted so far!
Like "mpapro", I'm on-the-fence and wavering towards the SDP-55. So, "jlemoine2", I like reading your "grinning" comment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Video Streaming Question: Can Dante be used for this purpose? That is, could I load Dante Software on my Windows based PC and stream movies (via say JRiver Media Center) using an Ethernet cable into the SDP-55's Dante input? If not, would a direct HDMI connection from my PC into the SDP-55 work? Would any other movie streaming method work? One that wouldn't entail my PC's HDMI output being directly connected to the SDP-55?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Dante use is an audio only interface in this instance. Video over Dante was only introduced last year and I've not seen an implementation of it yet.

HDMI is going to be your solution in this case whether from your PC or another media player device.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Dante use is an audio only interface in this instance. Video over Dante was only introduced last year and I've not seen an implementation of it yet.

HDMI is going to be your solution in this case whether from your PC or another media player device.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk
Thanks, I thought as much. That is, to stream movies, my HTPC would need a direct HDMI connection to the SPD-55. But I was hoping otherwise. I was hoping I could leave the HTPC where it is upstairs, rather than moving it to the basement, where the SPD-55 is intended to be.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Buying a product that still doesn't fully work a year with no or so after release, and with no clear resolution in the horizon, seems like a masochistic move. Even if most of what you want works, you're still paying thousands of dollars to essentially be a beta tester.
But if it's 60%-70% off MSRP and does what you need without bugs, sure, why not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Buying a product that still doesn't fully work a year with no or so after release, and with no clear resolution in the horizon, seems like a masochistic move. Even if most of what you want works, you're still paying thousands of dollars to essentially be a beta tester.
But if it's 60%-70% off MSRP and does what you need without bugs, sure, why not.
Agreed. Which is why I haven't made the jump yet. Unfortunately there simply isn't anything else on the market that does what I need and those that even come close are 2 or 3x the price of this one!
I have been told that there may be a few more options coming onto the market with Dante/AES67 in the next year or so though..

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Agreed. Which is why I haven't made the jump yet. Unfortunately there simply isn't anything else on the market that does what I need and those that even come close are 2 or 3x the price of this one!
I have been told that there may be a few more options coming onto the market with Dante/AES67 in the next year or so though..
I don't know what you need :) And tbh, even if you told me, I probably won't understand lol. Doesn't change the fact this is an unfinished product and every fw breaks something new in return of fixing something old. You lived this long with something else, it might be better to practice patience and wait for something that actually works.

3421 - 3440 of 3867 Posts