AVS Forum banner

3461 - 3480 of 3614 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'am using the Google home app and set up the JBL via this , but I only find the JBl when connected wireless...?
What about the disturbed sound everytime a new track starts when playing Spotify... you having this problem..?
Not having this issue. What firmware are you at now? I’m at 1.36

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I'am using the Google home app and set up the JBL via this , but I only find the JBl when connected wireless...?
Depending on the app, you'll likely have to be on the same subnet as the JBL when plugged into the wired network. In most default home networks, for example, the wired network is on 192.168.0.x while the wireless network is 192.168.1.x. There can be a few different factors, but your wireless router may not route traffic by default between the two subnets or your app may not be designed to look through that network as well (that would be rare). To get around that, some apps are nice enough to include the option to manually specify an IP address to get around that problem. I don't know enough about Google Home to know if that is an option.

Reactions: torolan

·
Registered
397 Posts
Not known, it used to be root with no password until firmware 1.24. It was quite interesting in there :)

For newer firmwares it wants a private key and AFAIK that key has not leaked.
thanks. I tried the basic logins used in typical embedded applications that I could think of as well...no luck. If it’s keyed to the mac address or similar, then it’s hopeless.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Has anyone heard a firm date from JBL when they may offer the matching rack ears for the SDP-55? I'd like to purchase them but every time I ask the date gets pushed back 2 months. I've also considered buying a custom shelf and faceplate from Middle Atlantic for the SDP-55, but the processor doesn't appear to be in the MA database either.
Before I had received the processor, I too wanted the rack ears for the unit. I also wished there were rack ears for the Panasonic DP-U9000. I was forced to put both on shelves and was surprised about how good it looked. I think the trick is getting a shelf that is the same U as the unit sitting on it. I've seen pictures of 4U devices sitting on a 2U shelf and it looks more obvious it's sitting on a shelf. I'm not trying to convince anyone not to use rack ears but simply giving more options for others in the same situation.

Based on the pictures of mine below, I'm not sure what MA would be able to offer for a faceplate unless you went to 5U height. I've seen pics of the faceplates offered by a manufacturer in the UK for the Panasonic player but it's 3U in height. The picture below looks good enough for me. I'm using two different shelves in the pic. The 4U shelf I got for the JBL (Penn Elcom) has a front lip on it that bends up while the 2U shelf (AC Infinity) for the disc player actually bends down a little making it easier to slide the unit onto the shelf. If someone is considering a rack shelf be sure to consider the shelf lip and also the height of your unit with the feet attached. In the case of the SDP-55 I had to take out the 1U blank above the opening to slide in the unit. It would have been very inconvenient if I had a piece of equipment in that location.

As a side note, I didn't realize how much finger oil sticks to the matte faceplate of the SDP-55. It's not very noticeable in reality but it certainly shows up in the pic.

·
Premium Member
4,411 Posts
Before I had received the processor, I too wanted the rack ears for the unit. I also wished there were rack ears for the Panasonic DP-U9000. I was forced to put both on shelves and was surprised about how good it looked. I think the trick is getting a shelf that is the same U as the unit sitting on it. I've seen pictures of 4U devices sitting on a 2U shelf and it looks more obvious it's sitting on a shelf. I'm not trying to convince anyone not to use rack ears but simply giving more options for others in the same situation.

Based on the pictures of mine below, I'm not sure what MA would be able to offer for a faceplate unless you went to 5U height. I've seen pics of the faceplates offered by a manufacturer in the UK for the Panasonic player but it's 3U in height. The picture below looks good enough for me. I'm using two different shelves in the pic. The 4U shelf I got for the JBL (Penn Elcom) has a front lip on it that bends up while the 2U shelf (AC Infinity) for the disc player actually bends down a little making it easier to slide the unit onto the shelf. If someone is considering a rack shelf be sure to consider the shelf lip and also the height of your unit with the feet attached. In the case of the SDP-55 I had to take out the 1U blank above the opening to slide in the unit. It would have been very inconvenient if I had a piece of equipment in that location.

As a side note, I didn't realize how much finger oil sticks to the matte faceplate of the SDP-55. It's not very noticeable in reality but it certainly shows up in the pic.

View attachment 3047214
Looks nice with the blank anodized plates above the units.

On another note, I don’t see many racks with the rack screw covers on there, but if using a rack with a door, these would be un-necessary.

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Has anyone heard a firm date from JBL when they may offer the matching rack ears for the SDP-55? I'd like to purchase them but every time I ask the date gets pushed back 2 months. I've also considered buying a custom shelf and faceplate from Middle Atlantic for the SDP-55, but the processor doesn't appear to be in the MA database either.

Perhaps I'll try calling both places today.
I have asked the UK distributor in March, June and Today about rack rails. Today they confirmed they at last had a part number (In March and June they could not even obtain a part number) and had some on order saying they hoped to have stock in 2-4 weeks and would now accept a pre-order from me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Depending on the app, you'll likely have to be on the same subnet as the JBL when plugged into the wired network. In most default home networks, for example, the wired network is on 192.168.0.x while the wireless network is 192.168.1.x. There can be a few different factors, but your wireless router may not route traffic by default between the two subnets or your app may not be designed to look through that network as well (that would be rare). To get around that, some apps are nice enough to include the option to manually specify an IP address to get around that problem. I don't know enough about Google Home to know if that is an option.
Thankyou for answer. I don’t understand all this. But there is no problem to acsess the webkontroll via vired , and the same with Dirac. So there is conection from the router to the JBL. Ther is only Spotify that don’t works....

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
@jlemoine2 I agreed that looks good. But I prefer the look of the MA faceplates for just a little more money. Makes everything appear a little more clean.

(Also appears I need to dust. The camera picks up everything!)

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
An interesting issue for me that has been somewhat resolved.

SETUP: I have the JBL SDP-55 sending a signal from Output 1 to my JVC projector (Input 1) using a this Fiber HDMI Cable. I've never had an issue getting video to display on the JVC, it's been rock solid. I have the JBL sending a hdmi signal from Output 2 to a LG 4K HDR computer monitor (input 1) using this Sewell HDMI cable. I use the LG monitor to que up movies or to navigate screens when I do not want to turn on the projector.

ISSUE: My projector never had an issue displaying video. It always works no matter the source. However when using the LG monitor while the projector is turned off, no matter the source I had less than a 10% success rate of getting video to display on the monitor if the projector was not powered on. Sometimes I would get the LG to display the menu screens of the AppleTV, but when I would try to watch a movie from my collection of movies I downloaded to iTunes, I would receive a message stating my cable or TV was not HDCP compliant. If I saw the menus screens of the AppleTV and attempted to stream 4K movies such as "6 Underground" using the Netflix app, the movie would never start. The status button would just spin. Exact same situation with Amazon Prime videos. I could navigate to the movie perfect, but I could never get the movie to start. I'd only see a timeline across the bottom of the screen and a spinning status icon. If I attempted to use my Oppo 203, only 10% of the time could I see the menu screen and almost never could I get a movie from disc to show video.

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS: Everything I tested was with the JVC project turned off because the monitor would normally work if the projector was powered on. Since the whole purpose of the monitor was to use when the project was turned off, I didn't want the JVC powered on. So I swapped hdmi cables to the Monitor. No impact. I changed the inputs used on the monitor. No impact. I swapped the outputs from the JBL. No impact. I attempted to use Zone 2 out from the JBL and had better luck, but it was not 100% reliable. Instead of the LG monitor I used a Samsung 4K TV. No impact. Tried different input and outputs with the TV. No impact. Nothing I did would make an impact.

SOLUTION: When I plugged the JVC from the JBL, I could get the monitor to work 100% of the time. No matter the input or output used, it always worked. If I used the LG monitor and the Samsung TV, no matter the combination, both always worked. It was only when I connected the JVC projector to the JBL did things go sideways. I then tried a Sewell hdmi cable from the JBL to the projector instead of the fiber cable. EVERYTHING WORKED! No matter the combination.

Long story short, it appears the fiber hdmi cable when used with the JVC projector AND a secondary monitor of any type prevents the JBL's output 2 from working. But what is weird is if I only use that fiber cable and no second display device, I have zero issues. It has to be the combination of fiber cable and using both outputs from the JBL. One thing I want to go test is what happens if the fiber cable is used to connect the TV and the Sewell hdmi cable is used to connect the LG monitor. That would be the final determination if it's the fiber cable and two output combination that causes the problem.

I'm also thinking of trying to get matching fiber hdmi cables to run from each JBL output to display devices to see if that works.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but thought I would share in case others have issues with dual display devices.

·
Registered
591 Posts
An interesting issue for me that has been somewhat resolved.

SETUP: I have the JBL SDP-55 sending a signal from Output 1 to my JVC projector (Input 1) using a this Fiber HDMI Cable. I've never had an issue getting video to display on the JVC, it's been rock solid. I have the JBL sending a hdmi signal from Output 2 to a LG 4K HDR computer monitor (input 1) using this Sewell HDMI cable. I use the LG monitor to que up movies or to navigate screens when I do not want to turn on the projector.

ISSUE: My projector never had an issue displaying video. It always works no matter the source. However when using the LG monitor while the projector is turned off, no matter the source I had less than a 10% success rate of getting video to display on the monitor if the projector was not powered on. Sometimes I would get the LG to display the menu screens of the AppleTV, but when I would try to watch a movie from my collection of movies I downloaded to iTunes, I would receive a message stating my cable or TV was not HDCP compliant. If I saw the menus screens of the AppleTV and attempted to stream 4K movies such as "6 Underground" using the Netflix app, the movie would never start. The status button would just spin. Exact same situation with Amazon Prime videos. I could navigate to the movie perfect, but I could never get the movie to start. I'd only see a timeline across the bottom of the screen and a spinning status icon. If I attempted to use my Oppo 203, only 10% of the time could I see the menu screen and almost never could I get a movie from disc to show video.

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS: Everything I tested was with the JVC project turned off because the monitor would normally work if the projector was powered on. Since the whole purpose of the monitor was to use when the project was turned off, I didn't want the JVC powered on. So I swapped hdmi cables to the Monitor. No impact. I changed the inputs used on the monitor. No impact. I swapped the outputs from the JBL. No impact. I attempted to use Zone 2 out from the JBL and had better luck, but it was not 100% reliable. Instead of the LG monitor I used a Samsung 4K TV. No impact. Tried different input and outputs with the TV. No impact. Nothing I did would make an impact.

SOLUTION: When I plugged the JVC from the JBL, I could get the monitor to work 100% of the time. No matter the input or output used, it always worked. If I used the LG monitor and the Samsung TV, no matter the combination, both always worked. It was only when I connected the JVC projector to the JBL did things go sideways. I then tried a Sewell hdmi cable from the JBL to the projector instead of the fiber cable. EVERYTHING WORKED! No matter the combination.

Long story short, it appears the fiber hdmi cable when used with the JVC projector AND a secondary monitor of any type prevents the JBL's output 2 from working. But what is weird is if I only use that fiber cable and no second display device, I have zero issues. It has to be the combination of fiber cable and using both outputs from the JBL. One thing I want to go test is what happens if the fiber cable is used to connect the TV and the Sewell hdmi cable is used to connect the LG monitor. That would be the final determination if it's the fiber cable and two output combination that causes the problem.

I'm also thinking of trying to get matching fiber hdmi cables to run from each JBL output to display devices to see if that works.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but thought I would share in case others have issues with dual display devices.
My guess is that it's because HDMI fibre cable is an active cable and when projector is off the JBL is still detecting a connection but no EDID information (or some other handshake failure). When you have a passive HDMI cable you don't have this issue. I doubt a 2nd Fibre cable to the monitor would fix this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've never had an HTPC before, but I'm building one now. If I were to get the SDP-55, what is the best way for me to get bitstream to this for 9.2.6 atmos playback if I assume no HDMI ports are available on my PC for passing audio, but I do have an extra pcie x16 slot, optical out and ethernet? (My video card will have all HDMI ports allocated to a multi monitor setup with high resolution that will chew up the card's bandwidth, basically)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I've never had an HTPC before, but I'm building one now. If I were to get the SDP-55, what is the best way for me to get bitstream to this for 9.2.6 atmos playback if I assume no HDMI ports are available on my PC for passing audio, but I do have an extra pcie x16 slot, optical out and ethernet? (My video card will have all HDMI ports allocated to a multi monitor setup with high resolution that will chew up the card's bandwidth, basically)
Your PC's HDMI port should bitstream audio just fine. Mine does.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
You can use the same port you are using to send video to send audio as well. If that really isnt possible as in you are using all of the ports on your video card for non HT purposes then you should be able to add a second video card to send audio and video to the JBL (Like a cheap Nvidia 1030). The second card idea should also be OK if you are not sending video through the JBL with most HTPC software (I know it works with Kodi) but you are more likely to suffer audio synch issues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can use the same port you are using to send video to send audio as well. If that really isnt possible as in you are using all of the ports on your video card for non HT purposes then you should be able to add a second video card to send audio and video to the JBL (Like a cheap Nvidia 1030). The second card idea should also be OK if you are not sending video through the JBL with most HTPC software (I know it works with Kodi) but you are more likely to suffer audio synch issues.

Well, I have an NVIDIA 3090 planned to do triple screen ultrawide at 3840x1600. From the performance testing I've seen, FPS and refresh will already be taking a toll at that even with the 3090, so I don't want to task it and lose more performance than I have to. So I would like something else to use for the audio since my CPU should still be somewhat free and I have an available pcie x16 available if needed.

But I'm also starting to read up about Dante. Would that do what I'm trying to achieve? I can send bitstream over ethernet or no? Or is that something still having issues with the latest firmware?

if HDMI is my only choice, is there an audio-only card that can get me and HDMI out on my available pcie x16 slot? I believe my Panasonic Ub820 has a secondary non-2.1 HDMI that passes bitstream to my current living room AVR doing 7.2.4 Atmos, so I should be able to do similar on a PC?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I should clarify... during HT application, yes I can send signal to my HT screen and HT AVR via HDMI. However, when gaming I will have triple 3840x1600 monitors using up my ports and filling up my GPU's capacity to deliver the minimum FPS and refresh and those monitors have no eARC. I don't know that I can put the AVR in front of 1 monitor and not have G-Sync issues or further FPS hits so I'd like to separate the video and audio function if I can so that I can use my same speaker config when gaming.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I should clarify... during HT application, yes I can send signal to my HT screen and HT AVR via HDMI. However, when gaming I will have triple 3840x1600 monitors using up my ports and filling up my GPU's capacity to deliver the minimum FPS and refresh and those monitors have no eARC. I don't know that I can put the AVR in front of 1 monitor and not have G-Sync issues or further FPS hits so I'd like to separate the video and audio function if I can so that I can use my same speaker config when gaming.
Your use case now makes sense. :)

A Geforce 1030 might do this job fine, you could use it to send audio to the JBL when gaming and use it for video and audio for HT (I'm assuming you have a different display to your Triple 4K monitors for HT use). The reason I'm recommending the 1030 over the cheaper 710 is you get HDR and better HT support. There is a small chance you will be hit with driver issues but at least you arent risking much money to find out.

Edit: Looking at the 3090 it will support 3 Display port with an HDMI output so I would think you are better off using the HDMI on the 3090. The GPU utilisation for audio output is barely even measurable and you reduce the likelihood of suffering audio synch or driver issues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your use case now makes sense. :)

A Geforce 1030 might do this job fine, you could use it to send audio to the JBL when gaming and use it for video and audio for HT (I'm assuming you have a different display to your Triple 4K monitors for HT use). The reason I'm recommending the 1030 over the cheaper 710 is you get HDR and better HT support. There is a small chance you will be hit with driver issues but at least you arent risking much money to find out.
Yes, I have an LG 77CX for HT use. So getting a second video card for audio only? I'll check into that. I'm surprised I can't find an audio card with HDMI, but I haven't looked more than a day yet. How about Dante? Is that a potential solution? Bitsream over ethernet or have I not done my homework well on that? I haven't researched much on it yet, but starting down that path now.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Yes, I have an LG 77CX for HT use. So getting a second video card for audio only? I'll check into that. I'm surprised I can't find an audio card with HDMI, but I haven't looked more than a day yet. How about Dante? Is that a potential solution? Bitsream over ethernet or have I not done my homework well on that? I haven't researched much on it yet, but starting down that path now.
Dante from the SDP-55 is for output from the SDP-55 to power amplifiers only so wont help you (Dante doesn't really work in the current firmware either). Video card is definitely the way to go for HDMI audio output and using the spare HDMI output on your 3090 would be my first choice.

3461 - 3480 of 3614 Posts