AVS Forum banner

3481 - 3500 of 3614 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dante from the SDP-55 is for output from the SDP-55 to power amplifiers only so wont help you (Dante doesn't really work in the current firmware either). Video card is definitely the way to go for HDMI audio output and using the spare HDMI output on your 3090 would be my first choice.
DOH! That's what I get for researching in the middle of the night.

During HT I will have a spare, but not during gaming.

So, I will use the 3090 for video output and get some other HDMI video card for audio only and try that.

However, thunderbolt 3 does 40Gbps. There's not a way for me to use those ports for audio out by getting an adapter?

(Oops, I never mentioned I had 2 thunderbolt 3 ports. I have an Asus Maximus xii Extreme motherboard, if that helps).

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
DOH! That's what I get for researching in the middle of the night.

During HT I will have a spare, but not during gaming.

So, I will use the 3090 for video output and get some other HDMI video card for audio only and try that.

However, thunderbolt 3 does 40Gbps. There's not a way for me to use those ports for audio out by getting an adapter?

(Oops, I never mentioned I had 2 thunderbolt 3 ports. I have an Asus Maximus xii Extreme motherboard, if that helps).

Oh, I see you dont actually have that many PCIe lanes available on that motherboard/platform and oddly enough they remove the video output for the CPU (Which might have been an option).

If you don't use Thunderbolt take the Thunderbolt card out and put the Geforce 1030 in that slot. For HT/Audio Purposes an X4 slot wont be limiting at all and it is better than using the other X16 slot which would limit your 3090 to X8 bandwidth.

All that Asus bling on the motherboard will probably stop you inserting an X16 graphics card in that slot unless you remove the heat shielding but if this card is only for audio then a Geforce 710 can be bought with PCIE X1 connector and will work fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh, I see you dont actually have that many PCIe lanes available on that motherboard/platform and oddly enough they remove the video output for the CPU (Which might have been an option).

If you don't use Thunderbolt take the Thunderbolt card out and put the Geforce 1030 in that slot. For HT/Audio Purposes an X4 slot wont be limiting at all and it is better than using the other X16 slot which would limit your 3090 to X8 bandwidth.

All that Asus bling on the motherboard will probably stop you inserting an X16 graphics card in that slot unless you remove the heat shielding but if this card is only for audio then a Geforce 710 can be bought with PCIE X1 connector and will work fine.
Sounds like a plan. I can put the thunderbolt 3 card in the pcie x4 slot and allow room on the x16. I'll see about getting a separate video card to use as an hdmi port expansion. It's too bad I can't just use the thunderbolt 3 since it has the bandwidth, but I can't find any adapters, cables, docks, etc that convert it to hdmi 2.1.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Sounds like a plan. I can put the thunderbolt 3 card in the pcie x4 slot and allow room on the x16. I'll see about getting a separate video card to use as an hdmi port expansion. It's too bad I can't just use the thunderbolt 3 since it has the bandwidth, but I can't find any adapters, cables, docks, etc that convert it to hdmi 2.1.
Ideally you dont want to use the second X16 slot at all. That board only runs X8/X8 when both X16 slots are in use. If you need the thunderbolt card then you will have to use this suboptimal config but Geforce 3090 + Geforce 710 Pcie X1 card with no thunderbolt card is best.

Here is an example PCIE X1 Geforce Card:

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Fellas, I don't mind talking a little off-topic post here and there, but lets try to avoid a full discussion on a HTPC build in this thread simply because it will be connected to a JBL SDP-55

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I am having issue with audio not locking in immediately. I have 1.40 FW. Playing file with Dolby Atmos on local network. Dirac without DLBC engaged. Video starts but audio takes a minute or so to play. When you skip a chapter, similar thing happens. It does recognize the correct format but its just nuisance that every time you stop/restart or skip the video, audio drops for 20-30 seconds. I am going to retest it without Dirac. Just wondering if this a common issue or just me? Thanks

@Krobar .

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
I am having issue with audio not locking in immediately. I have 1.40 FW
It's known, but seems to affect some users more than others. I've only hit it once, and we use our system about 2hrs each night in the almost two weeks since I installed 1.40. I piled on with a report to Harman, and they said they already knew about it and hoped to have it fixed in the next release.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I am having issue with audio not locking in immediately. I have 1.40 FW. Playing file with Dolby Atmos on local network. Dirac without DLBC engaged. Video starts but audio takes a minute or so to play. When you skip a chapter, similar thing happens. It does recognize the correct format but its just nuisance that every time you stop/restart or skip the video, audio drops for 20-30 seconds. I am going to retest it without Dirac. Just wondering if this a common issue or just me? Thanks

@Krobar .
live had similar behavior with Dolby TrueHD. A pause usually does the trick for me, but I think this is something they’re aware of.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It's known, but seems to affect some users more than others. I've only hit it once, and we use our system about 2hrs each night in the almost two weeks since I installed 1.40. I piled on with a report to Harman, and they said they already knew about it and hoped to have it fixed in the next release.
live had similar behavior with Dolby TrueHD. A pause usually does the trick for me, but I think this is something they’re aware of.
Does it happen without Dirac filter engaged?

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Does it happen without Dirac filter engaged?
For me, it doesn’t matter whether a Dirac filter is engaged or not. The issue pops up if I toggle a different Dirac filter, toggle to a different mode (e.g., like Dolby Surround or Aur–2D Surround, etc.), or if I toggle Dolby Volume. The solution for me is to pause a second or two and then push play. Usually, if I do that 1-3 times, then the signal “catches” and I’m good. It is a mild issue for me and only pops up with the Dolby higher resolution tracks (but not Dolby digital plus or Dolby digital).

Reactions: AdamAttewell

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
As others have noted, it's an issue with FW 1.4. I've also called and submitted the issue to Harman. For whatever reason my system was impacted so much by the issue I rolled back to 1.36. The 1.36 is pretty darn solid for mean I have no major complaints with using it. Audio lock on happens with 1-2 seconds every time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Audiocontrol gave me a different firmware on Wednesday to solve this issue. I would play anything atmos and it wouldn’t lock on to the Audio. I would have to press the direct button for a couple of minutes to get it to catch. They confirmed this problem with there own unit in house. I will be installing the new firmware today.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Audiocontrol gave me a different firmware on Wednesday to solve this issue. I would play anything atmos and it wouldn’t lock on to the Audio. I would have to press the direct button for a couple of minutes to get it to catch. They confirmed this problem with there own unit in house. I will be installing the new firmware today.
is it version 1.39 which now appears on their site, or something else?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can anyone tell me if you can do 15.1 Auro with the SDP-55? Can outputs 13-16 be configured for TML, TMR, TS and CH channels?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Same firmware I received
So I guess audiocontrol is in fact modifying things on their own...or they just had the interim releases between the arcam 1.36 and 1.40 releases and chose to release an interim version and either JBL/arcam will do the same later or chooses not to.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Only speculation here but my guess would be they have internal beta releases of firmware and as it’s tested and things change they change the name of the firmware so they know what one to release. From my discussion the only difference between 1.39 and 1.41 was some small decoding updates, I guess those had some unintended consequences of not locking on to audio sources such as atmos.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Only speculation here but my guess would be they have internal beta releases of firmware and as it’s tested and things change they change the name of the firmware so they know what one to release. From my discussion the only difference between 1.39 and 1.41 was some small decoding updates, I guess those had some unintended consequences of not locking on to audio sources such as atmos.
Arcam chose to skip 1.38/1.39, there were betas released for it. 1.38 does fix the Atmos + DLBC issue and does not suffer from the Atmos lock issue but does still have some of the popping issue on lock which occurred with 1.36/1.37 for some people.

Edit: When I say pops in this case it is the loud bang issue which could damage speakers. This is almost certainly why Arcam/JBL do not want to offer 1.38.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Can anyone tell me if you can do 15.1 Auro with the SDP-55? Can outputs 13-16 be configured for TML, TMR, TS and CH channels?
You cant. Auro does not go beyond 13.1 at all:

Harman does support the full Auro 13.1 layout including centre height (One detail the HTP-1 misses) but it is configured as follows:
CH13/14 - Can we wides or subwoofers
CH15/16 - Can be Middle Heights, CH/VOG (Auro) or Subwoofers

They do offer automation control to switch the speaker config so in theory you could switch between Channel 15/16 Config and their matching Dirac calibrations using the CI commands.

3481 - 3500 of 3614 Posts