AVS Forum banner

4521 - 4540 of 4596 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
yessir! I happened to notice it said “Roon Ready” a little later in the morning, to the left of the album pics. I don’t notice a performance difference—I’m sure there were little gremlins that Arcam was trying to kill before Roon accepted it as ‘Roon Ready’ that I was oblivious to (and I’m ok with that). Roon really is a nice system. Harman ought to just completely buy into that for its own ecosystem instead of developing MusicLife further or something else to match BlueOs or what Denon does. It seems like giving some kind of rebate opportunity for a Roon lifetime subscription with the purchase of these processors would be a better way to go (and they could do something like manufacture Roon cores that match the processors, or something like that, etc.).
I don't want Harman/Samsung involved in Roon, EVER!
Roon is very well developed and mantained and it should stay like this. An Involvement of Companies, who don't care about the Customer will be the death of roon. For example, they wanted to get rid off the Hardware which stated roon ready but wasn't anything near certified and the plan was to pull the plug. So some of us got involved and stated, that it would be unfair to the existing customers and roon reacted and found a solution, Harman never ever would have.

And also, WHY? Roon doesn't in any way replace a nice app to control the device and/or use things like spotify or amazon music, or a lot of other streaming services.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Roon is very well developed and mantained and it should stay like this. An Involvement of Companies, who don't care about the Customer will be the death of roon. For example, they wanted to get rid off the Hardware which stated roon ready but wasn't anything near certified and the plan was to pull the plug. So some of us got involved and stated, that it would be unfair to the existing customers and roon reacted and found a solution, Harman never ever would have.

And also, WHY? Roon doesn't in any way replace a nice app to control the device and/or use things like spotify or amazon music, or a lot of other streaming services.
Wouldn't want Samsung involved in Roon either but I would argue a manufacturer app is no longer worth the effort. These devices already offer Airplay 2, Chromecast, Spotify Connect and Roon streaming which control basics like the power and volume as well as doing a good job of streaming control (I would also like to see Tidal Connect). The web interface is adaptive and at least for me seems to work well on a selection of phones and tablets so that covers all of the extra device control like sound modes etc. The only weak point IMHO is the poor support for local files / UPNP in the web interface as Roon is the only service that supports local files but it seems that will become less and less relevant as less people use local files (Personally I use local files and Tidal).

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wouldn't want Samsung involved in Roon either but I would argue a manufacturer app is no longer worth the effort. These devices already offer Airplay 2, Chromecast, Spotify Connect and Roon streaming which control basics like the power and volume as well as doing a good job of streaming control (I would also like to see Tidal Connect). The web interface is adaptive and at least for me seems to work well on a selection of phones and tablets so that covers all of the extra device control like sound modes etc. The only weak point IMHO is the poor support for local files / UPNP in the web interface as Roon is the only service that supports local files but it seems that will become less and less relevant as less people use local files (Personally I use local files and Tidal).
U got a point there, but I still would like to see a nice app for the device. I know it is possible to control it in other ways :) but at the end i am not a developer and no UI-Designer either and there is something like a WAF, which is vcery important over here :)
For the waf an integration of streaming services like Amazon would be welcome, too.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
U got a point there, but I still would like to see a nice app for the device. I know it is possible to control it in other ways :) but at the end i am not a developer and no UI-Designer either and there is something like a WAF, which is vcery important over here :)
For the waf an integration of streaming services like Amazon would be welcome, too.
Fair enough, it does look like the current app released in December 2020 should work with the SDP-55:
MusicLife – Apps on Google Play

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Bug list updated:

Roon users; does Dirac still get incorrectly reported in the Roon processing chain?

·
Premium Member
699 Posts

Well, I didn’t really mean for them to purchase Roon, but they could always use Roon as the foundation for its own ecosystem. Why try developing more of something to compete against Denon/Sonos (like MyMusic) when you could piggieback off of the Roon platform (e.g., make a matching Roon core—I.e., a Roon core with the casing of one of the respective processors. It already has appleplay, and just needs something like Spotify connect. At that point, there’s no need to develop an additional app/ecosystem like BlueOs/Sonos/Denon-like system. Instead, put a little money towards a rebate for Roon. Win-win for everyone, I would think.

One more thing—yeah, Roon’s app does work as a control, for the most part. I guess it can’t power on the device, but that’s it, really. Otherwise, its user experience is superior to the streaming service apps.

·
Registered
588 Posts
From a Harman/corporate perspective Roon makes no sense as a replacement for the MusicLife app (or even a rebate) for the following reasons
  1. Roon only integrates with 2 streaming services, one of which is very niche with a very small user base
  2. Roon requires a server to function.
    1. Which means Harman would be telling all prospective customers their AVR purchase is not complete and customers need to spend “more” money on more hardware and software
    2. Support costs and hassle with server is astronomical
  3. Roon Lifetime users would get no additional benefit from a rebate, and would view the rebate/integration as a tax on their purchase price
  4. New to Roon customers would not see the benefit over a “simple” steaming app or web GUI and would be put off by the extra cost, and complexity for very little perceived value (how many of us simply throw away all the coupons and other ads that come with our purchases
  5. “Roon Ready” already provides the necessary incentive for existing Roon users to purchase Arcam gear

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
From a Harman/corporate perspective Roon makes no sense as a replacement for the MusicLife app (or even a rebate) for the following reasons
  1. Roon only integrates with 2 streaming services, one of which is very niche with a very small user base
  2. Roon requires a server to function.
    1. Which means Harman would be telling all prospective customers their AVR purchase is not complete and customers need to spend “more” money on more hardware and software
    2. Support costs and hassle with server is astronomical
  3. Roon Lifetime users would get no additional benefit from a rebate, and would view the rebate/integration as a tax on their purchase price
  4. New to Roon customers would not see the benefit over a “simple” steaming app or web GUI and would be put off by the extra cost, and complexity for very little perceived value (how many of us simply throw away all the coupons and other ads that come with our purchases
  5. “Roon Ready” already provides the necessary incentive for existing Roon users to purchase Arcam gear
I think you’re making good points, and I admittedly haven’t thought of this much, except in passing. I think the idea is first about furnishing a way to stream music already stored in a lot of folks’s hardware, and second, with streaming services. There have already been discussions in this very thread from either owners/prospective owners about adding something like a BlueOs Node for streaming music, including the capability for higher res streams.

I ended up going with the Roon lifetime service, and I justified the purchase as being close to what something like a Node costs. I figured Harman might do well in promoting something like that as a solution, rather than something like a Node device (or set of devices). Add Spotify Connect, and what else is there?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I went through a similar thinking process myself. Spending on Roon Lifetime made more sense to me than a separate hardware streamer (node 2i) and being Roon Ready nudged me in the direction of Arcam over the competitors. However I suspect we are a small minority of users. Most other customers would likely already be Roon users (and only care about Roon Ready), or not care enough about Roon to become a new subscriber

·
Registered
588 Posts
A fellow audiophile, who has about 50K invested in his 2 channel system, goes through a ridiculously painful exercise of navigating the DLNA based hierarchies every time he wants to listen to music through his streamer. However, he refuses to even consider Roon as an option due to the perceived complexity of setting up the server. It’s just too overwhelming for him.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
A fellow audiophile, who has about 50K invested in his 2 channel system, goes through a ridiculously painful exercise of navigating the DLNA based hierarchies every time he wants to listen to music through his streamer. However, he refuses to even consider Roon as an option due to the perceived complexity of setting up the server. It’s just too overwhelming for him.
That‘s bizarre to me. My core is a simple, tiny, intel box that I picked up on eBay and mounted under my desk. I imagine the cores that can be bought on Roon are relatively simple to set up and don’t require any formatting and such. That’s what brought me to the thought of “why would Harman devote a bunch of R&D into stuff that might do something similar to Roon or BlueOs, etc., when it could use Roon in a more robust way?“

·
Registered
588 Posts
I agree Roon server is dead easy, and there’s always a Nucleus type option if that’s too much as well.
If I were looking for a new AVR/processor today and if I didn’t already have Roon lifetime -Tidal Connect would be my top priority in streaming features. With Tidal Connect, I could quite happily give up Roon and use something cheaper (Plex, DLNA, Audirvana etc) for local library playback

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I agree Roon server is dead easy, and there’s always a Nucleus type option if that’s too much as well.
If I were looking for a new AVR/processor today and if I didn’t already have Roon lifetime -Tidal Connect would be my top priority in streaming features. With Tidal Connect, I could quite happily give up Roon and use something cheaper (Plex, DLNA, Audirvana etc) for local library playback
Yeah I don’t think Tidal Connect was even out when I committed to Roon. There wasn’t a good way to stream direct from Tidal or Qobuz at the time. I agree that Tidal Connect would’ve made a Roon commitment difficult. Even though the JBL doesn’t have it, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it as a feature within the next year? That said, Roon’s app is pretty slick, and I especially like its update on iPad (where you no longer have to be in a horizontal view).

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
@HTNUT1975 Can you check to see if Dirac now appears and disappears correctly in the Roon DSP/Processing chain? (Have an old bug listed about this and I reckon it might be fixed)

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
@HTNUT1975 Can you check to see if Dirac now appears and disappears correctly in the Roon DSP/Processing chain? (Have an old bug listed about this and I reckon it might be fixed)
yes I will check that out, today.

4521 - 4540 of 4596 Posts