AVS Forum banner

4561 - 4580 of 4596 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Are you using Lumagen to connect sources or prepro (and feeding the prepro out to Lumagen)? I am having issues with my setup. You can check out my post on the lumagen thread. Thanks in advance!

I send all my HDMI’s to my Lumagen and send Audio from my Lumagen to the Prepro. I haven’t had any issues as of yet. My understanding they say to use the Lumagen as the brain for everything. Allow all the signals to go to the Lumagen before sending it to any thing else. What kind of HDMI’s are you using? This does matter a lot, you can ask Kris Deering for help with that because I know many have had issues with not getting a picture because of the HDMI cable itself.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Am I the only one who is outrageously disappointed with Dirac? I've rung the changes on wide/narrow, 8-17pts of sampling, BC and no BC, and yet the sound is always edgy at the top and anemic at the bottom. Plucked string bass in jazz recordings sounds like viola pizzicato. The only benefit is a somewhat wider soundstage. I've also used the 4/6/8 dB Harman target curve boosts with no love. I'm a classical musician so it's not like I'm into bloated, blasting bass. What am I missing here? I have Revel F/C 208s across the front and two subs. There's no good reason for this. Turn off Dirac and I have plenty bass. I even attenuate the bass on the back of the 208s. Completely puzzled.

·
Registered
JBL SDP-55, Tascam ML-16D, 3x Bryston 6B SST, 9B SST, 2B-LP, 3x Dynaudio Contour S1.4, 12x Cont. SR
337 Posts
Am I the only one who is outrageously disappointed with Dirac? I've rung the changes on wide/narrow, 8-17pts of sampling, BC and no BC, and yet the sound is always edgy at the top and anemic at the bottom. Plucked string bass in jazz recordings sounds like viola pizzicato. The only benefit is a somewhat wider soundstage. I've also used the 4/6/8 dB Harman target curve boosts with no love. I'm a classical musician so it's not like I'm into bloated, blasting bass. What am I missing here? I have Revel F/C 208s across the front and two subs. There's no good reason for this. Turn off Dirac and I have plenty bass. I even attenuate the bass on the back of the 208s. Completely puzzled.
I do like what Dirac does in my Home Theater. I have been using one of the Harman curves (I think +6dB) and did not limit the frequency spectrum that Dirac is allowed to adjust. As the treble was a little too aggressive for me, I modified the target curve to roll off somewhat which did the trick for me. The main advantage I see for Dirac in my theater is a more coherent presentation. Although all my speakers are similar (3x Dynaudio Contour S 1.4 as LCR, 12x Dynaudio Contour S R for surround, height and top) it just appears to integrate better with Dirac than without. Regarding bass, I like the cleanliness and integration that Dirac acchieves. Upper bass is way better than before (more punchy). I run a SBA with four Velodyne DD-12 subwoofers and I make use of its presets. I ran the Dirac calibration with the Classical preset, as this is supposed to be the „most accurate“ and truthful one. The other presets like Action or Movie add some EQ and modify the servo. I assume that Velodyne had the same problem as Dirac has now in the sense that customers complained about missing bass. The Velodyne Digital Drive subwoofers with their servo technology are capable of keeping distortion below 0.5 or 1% (depending on the generation). This leads to a much cleaner bass than on most competing designs, but less distortion, also means less volume or less perceived bass. So in the DD series, they added a control where you can reduce the tightness of the servo to allow for a somewhat boomier bass. So I let Dirac handle the general integration and use the presets of the Velodyne subwoofers to get what I want on different source material.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Hi Bob, I have similar speakers and I’ve found it to be working quite well. Have you dabbled with REW measurements much to see what’s going on? I’ve found Dirac especially impressive in the Bass region when it comes to bringing about a smoother curve. I’m wondering if without Dirac, there is a frequency range that is naturally boosted in your room (for example, 50-70 Hz) where your system is giving that additional oomph you’re wanting to experience even with Dirac engaged.

Reactions: boblinds

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Two things, are you crossing the 208s over and letting the subs handle the bass only? Might be hitting cancellations between the two. Try that if you're not. Cross everything at 80-100 hz (try a couple inputs) and see if it doesn't open up.

I like bass, but I had to use a plus 15db curve to give me the same plus 6-10db gain I used to get with ARC/minidsp. I haven't ran REW, but it doesn't seem like it's truly plus 15 in the bass. It's definitely the minimum of what I need.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I only use Dirac up to 250Hz or so and have found whilst it does smooth everything out well the bass loses the impact and feel I like. I have tried both Harman default, +6 and +10.

Dirac always turns my three subs down to somewhere near -10dB. I have recently found great results with using Dirac but turning my subs back up 6-10dB after calibration. I used to worry about it ‘screwing’ with what Dirac was doing, but I have got over that because it sounds great that way.

Subs are crossed over to my 708p’s at 100Hz.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I send all my HDMI’s to my Lumagen and send Audio from my Lumagen to the Prepro. I haven’t had any issues as of yet. My understanding they say to use the Lumagen as the brain for everything. Allow all the signals to go to the Lumagen before sending it to any thing else. What kind of HDMI’s are you using? This does matter a lot, you can ask Kris Deering for help with that because I know many have had issues with not getting a picture because of the HDMI cable itself.

Have you ever tried the other way? I mean using prepro as the switcher and feeding it to the Lumagen.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Thanks so very, VERY much for all the detailed Dirac info, guys. We've become quite the helpful community of SDP-55 survivors. :) I appreciate it. I'll give your suggestions a try and see if I can't sort this out. I do know that I have a little mid/upper bass boost as part of the room acoustics--as HTNUT suggested--that, frankly, isn't entirely unpleasant. I did tame it to a reasonable degree using the Revels' room boundary switch. I'll continue to tweak levels, xover etc.; and if I make any interesting breakthroughs, I'll share. Stay well y'all!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have you ever tried the other way? I mean using prepro as the switcher and feeding it to the Lumagen.
No I haven’t. My understanding many in the Lumagen page will tell you not to do that. I think it’s about the Prepro changing the picture or putting grain in it that it shouldn’t. But I would reach out to Jim the owner of Lumagen or Kris Deering. They know everything about the Lumagen and will be able to get you on the right path. Just shoot them a message on here and let them know what’s going on. You will find both of them on the Radiance Pro forum.

·
Registered
487 Posts
With a different processor, HTP-1, and DLBC, did not get good results with Harman curves. Reduced top end to follow natural frequency response of Aerial Acoustic speakers and increased 20 hz by 6db. In our large room with 7.4 system, gives excellent results. REW confirms disappointing results with Harman and positive results with the above suggestion.
Even though you have different processor, room and speakers, might wish to give it a try.
Neglected to add that I also raised volume in subs 10bs and that they are sealed SVS SB16s

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
No I haven’t. My understanding many in the Lumagen page will tell you not to do that. I think it’s about the Prepro changing the picture or putting grain in it that it shouldn’t. But I would reach out to Jim the owner of Lumagen or Kris Deering. They know everything about the Lumagen and will be able to get you on the right path. Just shoot them a message on here and let them know what’s going on. You will find both of them on the Radiance Pro forum.

Thank you!

Is there a way you can connect one of your sources directly to prepro (and feed it to Lumagen) and see if it works. Its not an emergency so whenever you get a chance. I just want to see if the problem is limited to my specific setup or can it be replicated by others with JBL SDP-55.

·
Registered
424 Posts
With reference to an eventual lack of bass when using Dirac Bass Control this post may be relevant:
Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hope JBL can have more than three save slots soon then.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Was already commented previously that it'll never happen by JBL. It's hardware limited.
I wonder how that is, since it has the same internals as the http-1?

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I wonder how that is, since it has the same internals as the http-1?
Same main TI DSP chip but definitely not the same internals. The Dirac software they are using definitely appears to support more slots but there may not be enough storage or predicted write endurance or some other factor preventing it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I downloaded a group of targets from the Synthesis site and used separate target curves on my speaker groups, including a subwoofer-specific curve. Plus (thanks Jsin!) I raised my crossover points for the Revels. Watched Batman v. Superman yesterday and the Dirac sounded excellent with plenty of LFE reproduction but also wide soundstage and dialogue clarity. (I've been waiting until the Snyder Justice League cut came out to watch his DCEU trilogy.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I downloaded a group of targets from the Synthesis site and used separate target curves on my speaker groups, including a subwoofer-specific curve. Plus (thanks Jsin!) I raised my crossover points for the Revels. Watched Batman v. Superman yesterday and the Dirac sounded excellent with plenty of LFE reproduction but also wide soundstage and dialogue clarity. (I've been waiting until the Snyder Justice League cut came out to watch his DCEU trilogy.)
I've been having similar issues running Dirac. I was in the Dirac Live channel asking for help and it was suggested to purchase the umik-1 as it's a high quality and calibrated mic vs the supplied mic. I have one on order, can't hurt I suppose.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Interesting, because from what I read, the target curve should be identical with all speaker groups, if I remember things correctly (or, if I understood them correctly). Have you looked at the curves from the first page of the Dirac Live thread?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Interesting, because from what I read, the target curve should be identical with all speaker groups, if I remember things correctly (or, if I understood them correctly).
I had drawn the same conclusion and then I downloaded the file of target curves from the Synthesis site. They seemed to indicate different curve for different speaker groups, so since nothing else had quite worked, I gave it a try. Combined with higher crossover points to the Revels, it gave better results. Or, at least, a balance my ears preferred.

If Dirac had intended us to always use the same targets, I don't think they would have enabled the ability to assign different curves/corrections to each speaker group. Furthermore, using Bass Control, the software seems designed to offer whole room EQ by taking into account the interaction between all those groups.

4561 - 4580 of 4596 Posts