AVS Forum banner

1741 - 1760 of 2731 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Dirac has set all my speaker levels at -10 db and subs are close to -2db. Is this normal? I am new to Dirac so don't have enough knowledge to draw any conclusion but my understanding is that speakers are set at lower level to match them with the ones that are at 0 db but in my case all are set at -10db.

Also, when I change the filter to +6db or +10db the levels of individual subs in the speaker level section is unchanged.
Dirac is pretty stupid in that it will only give you the option to boost 8db. I guess that's a good thing for most people, but bad if you have a ST of headroom with your subs and want to increase it.

I get the alternative is to drop all the other frequencies, but I'm already limited playing my system at 99 (max) as is on most sources.

I do think it calibrates too low.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Hmm, that is bad.

Does it count boost you have in the target curve in that 8 dB?
If you have areas that have -12db dips, it will only calibrate that to -4 under the target. 8dB total.

So, if you have a plus 6dB target and it has to use the whole 8dB to get there, it won't matter if you make a plus 10dB curve because it's maxed.

It won't even raise the sub level up and then squash it. It is what it is, in my experience.

I like running stupid plus 20-25 dB output sometimes with certain music which I can accomplish previously with my anthem plus the miniDSP. I don't think I can do that with this and BC. We'll see what happens there.

Definitely going to have to figure out a way to get the levels up. Mine is too quiet as is. Maybe play my amp gains higher and reduce the mic input down low, but then I worry about the noise in this processor.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
If you have areas that have -12db dips, it will only calibrate that to -4 under the target. 8dB total.

So, if you have a plus 6dB target and it has to use the whole 8dB to get there, it won't matter if you make a plus 10dB curve because it's maxed.

It won't even raise the sub level up and then squash it. It is what it is, in my experience.

I like running stupid plus 20-25 dB output sometimes with certain music which I can accomplish previously with my anthem plus the miniDSP. I don't think I can do that with this and BC. We'll see what happens there.

Definitely going to have to figure out a way to get the levels up. Mine is too quiet as is. Maybe play my amp gains higher and reduce the mic input down low, but then I worry about the noise in this processor.
I think you will probably be worse off SQ wise if using volumes above 75 in normal usage so probably worth raising the power amp gain (This is a generalisation though so your mileage may vary).

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Won't telling the system that there is no main subwoofer result in the main speakers not having low frequencies directed to the subs? Otherwise that does seem to be the right workaround. Of course the real fix is to just have an option in the settings to tell it exactly how many subs are on those outputs 🙂
I don't think so, AFAIK this is how you configure 2 or 4 subs with these units and a few UK users are on that config. The subwoofer setting just sets if there is a subwoofer plugged in to channel 8 or not. Let me know if you need any test tones to confirm bass management is working.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't think so, AFAIK this is how you configure 2 or 4 subs with these units and a few UK users are on that config. The subwoofer setting just sets if there is a subwoofer plugged in to channel 8 or not. Let me know if you need any test tones to confirm bass management is working.
It is not neccessary to set LFE to on, for the system to know there is a subwoofer present. It was in 1.22, but since 1.24 the system acts correctly according to used Subwoofers on 13+14 or 15+16.
As a matter of fact, you won't beable to get a dirac measurement, if you do otherwise.

·
Registered
941 Posts
In that regard, Dirac is pretty clever: Don't try and boost 12db dips :)
If you have a -12db dip, then it is due to the direct and indirect sound cancelling each other out. EQ is not magic (no matter what the company writes) and a frequency dependent gain of 12db will most likely not sound very good even though you have the headroom in amps and subs.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
In that regard, Dirac is pretty clever: Don't try and boost 12db dips :)
If you have a -12db dip, then it is due to the direct and indirect sound cancelling each other out. EQ is not magic (no matter what the company writes) and a frequency dependent gain of 12db will most likely not sound very good even though you have the headroom in amps and subs.
Yes, and no.

Sure, for the average user, that's a great feature. Although plus 8 in a dip still isn't going to be great, by any means. And it doesn't allow those of us with huge headroom to boost if we want.

A better feature would be like Trinnov where you can tell it how much you will allow it to boost and cut within whatever frequencies.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Yes, and no.

Sure, for the average user, that's a great feature. Although plus 8 in a dip still isn't going to be great, by any means. And it doesn't allow those of us with huge headroom to boost if we want.

A better feature would be like Trinnov where you can tell it how much you will allow it to boost and cut within whatever frequencies.
DL allows a max. boost of 10dB. If you need more then something else is wrong and room EQ is the wrong tool.

Reactions: jlemoine2

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
That's just your opinion. Again, some people like to boost the bass higher.

Flexibility is a good option.
So in which case is it a good option to boost more than 10dB? I'm not talking about equal loudness compensation here but EQ for solving acoustical problems.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yes it is. btw. HTP-1 allows to add 16 bands of 10dB EQ (shelf or peak), 12dB tone control (with adjustable corner frequency) and (variable) loudness in addition to Dirac's rather weak bass boost capabilities... All are also possible to select with 8 presets.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yes it is. btw. HTP-1 allows to add 16 bands of 10dB EQ (shelf or peak), 12dB tone control (with adjustable corner frequency) and (variable) loudness in addition to Dirac's rather weak bass boost capabilities... All are also possible to select with 8 presets.
And FWIW the HTP-1 also received the same headless Pink Panther from ASR that has some of the participants in this thread in such a tizzy.

·
Registered
941 Posts

It's science.. Not opinion.

If you are talking about boosting the bass with a shelf-filter or boosting the whole subwoofer 10db, then I agree that this is something some people prefer and this is by no means bad if you have the headroom.

But boosting a null 12db which is a narrow frequency limited issue due to the room/sub interaction, that's just wrong. It will not sound good.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
It's science.. Not opinion.

If you are talking about boosting the bass with a shelf-filter or boosting the whole subwoofer 10db, then I agree that this is something some people prefer and this is by no means bad if you have the headroom.

But boosting a null 12db which is a narrow frequency limited issue due to the room/sub interaction, that's just wrong. It will not sound good.
I already addressed this. Of course, like I said, not boosting a null. But, there should be an option that allows experienced users that know what they're doing to bypass the restriction.

It can have a basic mode for the regular users. I doubt many are buying at this level anyway.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
HTP-1 got a bit unfair treatment in that review.
As much as I genuinely admire and trust Amir's work, I think a number of pre/pros and receivers may be getting unfair treatment in his evals. Unfortunately, I'm not an electrical engineer, so I can't back up with expertise my suspicion that his criteria for evaluating those product categories may not be entirely valid.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,496 Posts
As much as I genuinely admire and trust Amir's work, I think a number of pre/pros and receivers may be getting unfair treatment in his evals. Unfortunately, I'm not an electrical engineer, so I can't back up with expertise my suspicion that his criteria for evaluating those product categories may not be entirely valid.
They are valid in that balanced outputs should provide 4 volts.
The argument for 4 volts is that virtually all balanced DACs output 4 volts and even the Oppo UDP-205 outputs 4 volts.

They are not representative since most many have amps that require < 2 volts to achieve full power.
I'd rather they show the distortion profile in a ramp. This allows folks with adjustable gain amps to get the best match with the least distortion.

- Rich

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,496 Posts
And FWIW the HTP-1 also received the same headless Pink Panther from ASR that has some of the participants in this thread in such a tizzy.
The Emotiva RMC-1 was also guillotined.
There is a chance the panther will get its head back when Emotiva releases Dirac.

- Rich

1741 - 1760 of 2731 Posts