AVS Forum banner

1941 - 1960 of 2691 Posts

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
there is a new version Dolby processing with Movie, Music and Night modes.
Any idea what happens in Movie and Music modes? Are these just different DRC profiles alongside of Night?

·
Registered
290 Posts
there is a new version Dolby processing with Movie, Music and Night modes.
I've never heard of that! Is this a JBL post-processing mode? One would think with all the advertising Dolby does, we would have heard about those options by now if they were from Dolby. It might quell the uproar over removing "center spread" if they were replacing it with a "music mode."

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I've never heard of that! Is this a JBL post-processing mode? One would think with all the advertising Dolby does, we would have heard about those options by now if they were from Dolby. It might quell the uproar over removing "center spread" if they were replacing it with a "music mode."
I'm not sure what it is about either. Dolby Volume is gone aas are the Dolby Volume related settings. These modes appeared in the CI documentation last month and I didn't understand them but it seems they have now started to implement whatever it is.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Any idea what happens in Movie and Music modes? Are these just different DRC profiles alongside of Night?
My ears tell me that they are just applying a different response curve, rolling off a bit more for music vs. movie. Interesting, they have an Off setting that appears to disable Dolby entirely...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Center Spread is till present in today's SDP-55 firmware.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Spoke too soon. Chirp in the left is still there.
Well thats not good.
Its definitely less often, but, yeah, they still have something wrong. There's faint clicking as well, but the chirp is volume dependent. So if you have it loud, it is loud. Sounds like what direct.tv used to do in the old days when it would digitize with he sound. Its kind of piercing

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
My ears tell me that they are just applying a different response curve, rolling off a bit more for music vs. movie.
Hmmm, that would be opposite of the "old days" when THX Re-EQ applied some HF reduction for movies. :confused:

Interesting, they have an Off setting that appears to disable Dolby entirely...
As in the audio goes silent?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hmmm, that would be opposite of the "old days" when THX Re-EQ applied some HF reduction for movies. :confused:
Yeah, confused me, too. But it was just my initial reaction. Could be more going on.

As in the audio goes silent?
:) No, as in, Dolby Surround doesn't appear in the rotation as you cycle through surround modes. (!) But I only tested it once...

On an unrelated issue, I found that my 55 didn't want to play 96kHz audio FLACs in Dolby, DTS, or Auro surround mode. Just played random digital noises. But, interestingly, L16 Immersion (which sounds slightly better in this release, IMO) played the file perfectly (as did Digital Stereo mode.) I reported to JBL.

I did do a full Dirac calibration successfully, enabling Bass Control in the Filter Design screen. Tight bass to be sure, but perhaps a bit bass shy to my ears (of course, I can boost the bass level to suit). As usual with Dirac calibration, the left-to-right soundstage enlarged noticeably. The cheap boom mic stand I bought from Amazon worked great, made it really easy to position the mic to all the needed positions.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Did my first full DBC calibration with three of my four subs. Leaving the fourth off until I get a new amp with a quieter fan.

Did all the measurements. The calculation only takes about 2-3 minutes, which is nice. The run through is basically bug free finally.

But, then when I went to save it, stuck on saving the file to the receiver. That's pretty lame.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
It's the Measurements!

I did professional recording studio maintenance for over 30 years. I calibrated and serviced analog tape machines, mixing consoles, A/D and D/A converters etc. I have not done that work for ten years, but as far as I know, the pro audio standard is still 0 VU = +4dBu = 1.23 Volts. The old standard used dBm (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm), but that ended a long time ago when they figured out you don't want to use 600 ohm transformers to optimize power transfer, you want to optimize voltage transfer and have low impedance outputs and high impedance inputs on audio devices. People may not know, audio was born out of the telephone company in the US and they thought they wanted to optimize power transfer and used impedance matching. When I first started working in recording studios (1976), there were a bunch of 600 ohm devices still in them. Now I really feel old, lol.

Anyway, I have no idea why Amir is using 4 volts or how that would affect his measurements in the Audio Precision equipment. Maybe he should ask Harman how they test their products and come up with published specifications. If the testing methodology is not the same, it would make sense that his measurement data might not be the same.
0 dBFS PRO is +24dBu, that makes +4dBu = -20 dBFS, +24 dBu is about 12.3 VRMS. Don't let the 1.23 V output confuse you, that is -20dB from maximum output.

0 dBFS Consumer Single-ended is (about) 2V or +8.2 dBu or about 16 dBu less than PRO maximum. Most AVP's with balanced outputs should do at least 4V maximum because all the units have to do is implement a simple circuit that goes from SE to balanced and typically has an inherent gain of +6dB. Based on how easy this can be accomplished it is sad how many expensive units don't measure up.

This is a similar concept to speaker calibration where the calibrated 85dB SPL from a speaker at the listening position for videos (in the studio and at home), which is -20dB less than the 105 dB SPL maximum. Most AVR's/AVP's calibrate at 75dB SPL to make the calibration less aggravating to the person doing the calibration and then adjust upward to the 85 dB SPL level.

My guess only, I have no direct knowledge of this, is that Amir thinks that it is humorous (or sad) that so many people seem to ignore his measurements (or don't understand them) and instead pay attention to his opinion of gear. The idea of Amir's site it to make the measurements available with the goal of causing the manufacturers of mediocre equipment to improve.

If you understand some of the basics of AV equipment you will realize that much the equipment could be far better with better engineering, and improved parts selection with minimum added cost, but foremost an interest by the management of these companies in making the equipment better.

The idea of Amir's site is to make the measurements available. Amir's opinions are just an add-on. Use of the measurements does require a certainly level of technical knowledge and frankly basic knowledge of how AV equipment is designed. That so many people seem to only pay attention to Amir's opinion unfortunately indicates that they lack the technical knowledge to use the measurements as intended.

Too many people also seem to be so insecure that they can't handle the situation if the measurements are poor. Even worse people pay a lot of attention to Amir's opinion. It's funny to see how Amir gets in people's heads with those pink panthers. If a person can't develop their own opinion of the gear that Amir measures solely from the measurements then they should not use Amir's site because likely the site will just bother them.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
So much for boosting the level to get more bass. Doesn't appear that sub trim does anything when using BC.

Bob is right. It's pretty weak, even if it is detailed. Even plus 6db isn't like boosting 6 with MiniDSP.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why is the corrected filter not showing for any sub except "front sub one"? It measured all the subs, but only the front sub has a dot to the right of it and only clicking on that one shows a correction filter.
I ran a Dirac session with 2 subs as well and noticed the same thing, so wrote to Dirac support explaining that I thought only one sub was included in the actual correction, although both of them were measured in the sweeps, as only behind sub1 there was a corrected spectrum to be seen/selected and nothing appeared behind sub2.

their (pretty quick) answer was the following;
The corrected response you see is the summed response of the two subwoofers considering the phase, delay, and gains. So when you set the target for the subwoofer group, you will set the color tone for the summed response of the two subwoofers

So it seems both of them are actually corrected

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Too many people also seem to be so insecure that they can't handle the situation if the measurements are poor. Even worse people pay a lot of attention to Amir's opinion. It's funny to see how Amir gets in people's heads with those pink panthers. If a person can't develop their own opinion of the gear that Amir measures solely from the measurements then they should not use Amir's site because likely the site will just bother them.
Agree with you ... mostly! But Amir can also be not so 'definitive' in his recommendation. If we go by his recommendations only RMC-1 will probably qualify. Sometimes the recommendations are relative to their peer group - and that is where Amir's subjective commentary could be better framed.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Why is the corrected filter not showing for any sub except "front sub one"? It measured all the subs, but only the front sub has a dot to the right of it and only clicking on that one shows a correction filter.
I ran a Dirac session with 2 subs as well and noticed the same thing, so wrote to Dirac support explaining that I thought only one sub was included in the actual correction, although both of them were measured in the sweeps, as only behind sub1 there was a corrected spectrum to be seen/selected and nothing appeared behind sub2.

their (pretty quick) answer was the following;
The corrected response you see is the summed response of the two subwoofers considering the phase, delay, and gains. So when you set the target for the subwoofer group, you will set the color tone for the summed response of the two subwoofers

So it seems both of them are actually corrected
Interesting. Well that doesn't tell me why no subs are output at all when Dirac is selected on the SDP. This was Bluetooth input so maybe there's a bug there.

·
Registered
375 Posts
0 dBFS PRO is +24dBu, that makes +4dBu = -20 dBFS, +24 dBu is about 12.3 VRMS. Don't let the 1.23 V output confuse you, that is -20dB from maximum output.

0 dBFS Consumer Single-ended is (about) 2V or +8.2 dBu or about 16 dBu less than PRO maximum. Most AVP's with balanced outputs should do at least 4V maximum because all the units have to do is implement a simple circuit that goes from SE to balanced and typically has an inherent gain of +6dB. Based on how easy this can be accomplished it is sad how many expensive units don't measure up.

This is a similar concept to speaker calibration where the calibrated 85dB SPL from a speaker at the listening position for videos (in the studio and at home), which is -20dB less than the 105 dB SPL maximum. Most AVR's/AVP's calibrate at 75dB SPL to make the calibration less aggravating to the person doing the calibration and then adjust upward to the 85 dB SPL level.

My guess only, I have no direct knowledge of this, is that Amir thinks that it is humorous (or sad) that so many people seem to ignore his measurements (or don't understand them) and instead pay attention to his opinion of gear. The idea of Amir's site it to make the measurements available with the goal of causing the manufacturers of mediocre equipment to improve.

If you understand some of the basics of AV equipment you will realize that much the equipment could be far better with better engineering, and improved parts selection with minimum added cost, but foremost an interest by the management of these companies in making the equipment better.

The idea of Amir's site is to make the measurements available. Amir's opinions are just an add-on. Use of the measurements does require a certainly level of technical knowledge and frankly basic knowledge of how AV equipment is designed. That so many people seem to only pay attention to Amir's opinion unfortunately indicates that they lack the technical knowledge to use the measurements as intended.

Obviously for those of us that are not engineers most of the discussion on Amir’s site is way over our heads. I get the idea that manufacturers could easily do a significantly better job but the real question is can we hear it?

I’ve been patiently waiting for the stability of these units to improve only to now be worried that they really don’t improve the sound from my existing system based on the measurements?

I would really appreciate your opinion on the basic question, do the poor measurements of these units override Dirac’s superior room correction?

If so, what are some better options in this price range?

I certainly understand the subjective nature of sound. I also appreciate that Amir is trying to give us some objective markers, be it for us or the manufacturers.

I would really appreciate if the engineers in the group that have these units could give us your recommendations?

Thanks

1941 - 1960 of 2691 Posts