AVS Forum banner

1961 - 1980 of 2684 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Not an electrical engineer, but I can say I raised my amp gains 10 dB (lowering the mic sensitivity) to try to get me back to what I had with my anthem on output. It's not as bad as the first videos I uploaded, but I can hear the hissing/ticking I previously uploaded when I first received the unit from about 3-4 feet from the wave guides.

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
Am I understand the feedback correctly thus far? Bass management is not working properly or if it is working properly the results are neutered/anemic bass response. I hope it isn't the later because I have high hopes for this technology.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Can anyone explain how the 2 Output HDMIs work on the SDP-55. I have a NAD T777 v3 with 2 HDMI outputs but one output is 4k and one 1080, and the second port output is unstable. If the Dirac BM is a hit and the 2 HDMI outputs can output at 4k I may look at replacing the NAD with the SDP. It looks like the Monoprice HTP-1 outputs two both of it's outputs at 4k at the same time which would work for me but long term the SDP may be the better solution.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,491 Posts
Obviously for those of us that are not engineers most of the discussion on Amir’s site is way over our heads. I get the idea that manufacturers could easily do a significantly better job but the real question is can we hear it?

I’ve been patiently waiting for the stability of these units to improve only to now be worried that they really don’t improve the sound from my existing system based on the measurements?

I would really appreciate your opinion on the basic question, do the poor measurements of these units override Dirac’s superior room correction?

If so, what are some better options in this price range?

I certainly understand the subjective nature of sound. I also appreciate that Amir is trying to give us some objective markers, be it for us or the manufacturers.

I would really appreciate if the engineers in the group that have these units could give us your recommendations?

Thanks
IMO, what you can hear has to do with your hearing, room, speakers, and electronics. If you have 100 dB @ 1 watt efficient speakers, you will hear noise that 85 dB speakers do not.
Since SPL is by definition what humans can hear, then theoretically, anything above 0 SPL is audible. Practically, this is overkill.
If you measure the SPL of a room, you might find say 40 dB of noise but this can be misleading because the energy may be mostly in the lower frequencies and not where our ears are most sensitive.
I do not get excited by products that rely on masking and my ambient noise floor for transparency. I agree with the sentiment expressed by Benchmark, it can be easier to remove the distortions than to determine if they are audible.

Regarding the output voltage, that again is based on your amplifier gain. The AHB2's have selectable gain, so if you can see the distortion curve at each voltage the proper gain can be selected.

Amir has stated the Dirac may be more important to customers than the issue found in the measurements.

No manufacturer wants to see a headless panther sitting on their products. However, they made claims about jitter and other features and when they don't deliver on those claims, I have no sympathy.
I suspect that ASR measurements have already stimulated greater design hygiene. Manufacturers grew complacent when glowing reviews and no measurements.

Emotiva does not yet have Dirac, the HTP-1 has no analog inputs but measures well at voltages that are required by most consumer amplifiers.

The Arcam products have issues that may be addressable by software, we have seen that already in other processors.
IMO, this is a test of responsiveness. Is the management willing to engage and correct issues found by their customers and by ASR.
Perhaps, JBL has put the processor on the bench to see how it fairs in the event that one of them finds their way to ASR ;)

- Rich

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
Can anyone explain how the 2 Output HDMIs work on the SDP-55. I have a NAD T777 v3 with 2 HDMI outputs but one output is 4k and one 1080, and the second port output is unstable. If the Dirac BM is a hit and the 2 HDMI outputs can output at 4k I may look at replacing the NAD with the SDP. It looks like the Monoprice HTP-1 outputs two both of it's outputs at 4k at the same time which would work for me but long term the SDP may be the better solution.
Both HDMI outputs on the 777 are 4k. One is 18 Gbps, [email protected], 4:4:4, HDCP 2.2, the other one 9 Gbps, [email protected], 4:2:0, HDCP 1.4.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Am I understand the feedback correctly thus far? Bass management is not working properly or if it is working properly the results are neutered/anemic bass response. I hope it isn't the later because I have high hopes for this technology.
I definitely don't have the big bass I had before. It is smooth, but it's boring to me so far. I even ramped the curve up plus 6db in one slot.

I'm not sure how I'll get the bass I liked to show off with the skhorns with this set up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it possible that Bass Control has removed standing waves that you've become accustomed to and now it feels anemic?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Is it possible that Bass Control has removed standing waves that you've become accustomed to and now it feels anemic?
Regular Dirac should have already cut out the majority of the standing waves. If one is running a sloped, target curve the thunder should be close to the same. I would expect more punch since most of the REW room graphs I have seen over the years typically show a suck-out around the crossover between the mains and subs; which, if the BC is doing its job, that bass should improve not diminish. My hopes were more mid-bass slam around the crossover and better seat to seat consistency.
Alright, now I'm a believer. New sh... has come to light.

Not ideal, but I have to manually go around and turn my amps up 2 clicks each, but that did it. Along with starting a shelf plus 10 starting at 80 to flat at 40 helped.

I didn't care for adjusting the gains of each sub up for some reason. Better to walk around and do the amps. Less nasally in the upper bass.

Some notes that used to be there, but I could tell had some interference are now clear and have authority. Most all notes sound even. I had a decent calibration with MiniDSP, but this is better. It integrated my Skhorns and sealed subs better. Bass is more even throughout the room and not just at the 5 points I measured.

It definitely moves some air. Doing dishes, the water in my sink was rippling. Knocked over some things. Good times.

There is a hang up on trying to load new filters though and you have to hard cycle the SDP.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Don't take this wrong, because I am glad its sounding better for you, but I still have to question why it set the levels so low in the first place. Something doesn't seem right. It was my hope this product would get away from the "fixes" like gain bumps or distance tweaks in Audyssey. I was hoping this would be the "set it and forget" solution. Maybe the elusive, automated unicorn of bass management has yet to be captured. I will continue to sit back and watch from the sidelines as these products develop and mature.
You also have to consider where you are. Low in AVS terms is subjective.

I will say since they changed how the sub measures in level, it's been lower. My first Dirac calibration I was really impressed with the bass, but it was likely hot and they fixed it for the average normal user.

·
Registered
12,223 Posts
This is a similar concept to speaker calibration where the calibrated 85dB SPL from a speaker at the listening position for videos (in the studio and at home), which is -20dB less than the 105 dB SPL maximum. Most AVR's/AVP's calibrate at 75dB SPL to make the calibration less aggravating to the person doing the calibration and then adjust upward to the 85 dB SPL level.
I only mention this because you are a stickler for accuracy. AVRs use -30 dBFS to calibrate to 75 dB SPL, which means the calibration is equivalent to the -20 dBFS / 85 dB method. No need to adjust anything. :)

·
Premium Member
23,836 Posts
> Am I understand the feedback correctly thus far? Bass management is not working properly or if it is working properly the results are neutered/anemic bass response. I hope it isn't the later because I have high hopes for this technology.

On the Arcam thread at the UK forum more than one person said the bass was stronger.

Since SPL is by definition what humans can hear...
That may be true for the definition of sound, but that's the first I've heard that about SPL.

Every definition I saw (I stopped after three) defines it as air pressure variations relative to ambient.

Amir has stated the Dirac may be more important to customers than the issue found in the measurements.
The trouble is that that single most important point (IMO) is stated once as an aside, whereas he goes on endlessly about mostly irrelevant (to SQ) measurements.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can any of you guys that already have the unit give a little insight on the implementation of Auro 2D vs 3D as a music upmixer? We know that the HTP-1 doesn't even officially offer 2D so it's implementation is to simply use 3D and turn off your height speakers. So when the SDP is in 2D mode does it seem to be exactly the same as 3D, minus the the heights? 2D doesn't actually seem to be part of the Auro license (or at least I cannot find any official mentions of it by them) so it would seem that the manufacturers could have a lot of leeway in how they implement it. They could even have a different algorithm for it.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,491 Posts
That may be true for the definition of sound, but that's the first I've heard that about SPL.

Every definition I saw (I stopped after three) defines it as air pressure variations relative to ambient.
Benchmarks notes on the audibility of distortion:
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/interpreting-thd-measurements-think-db-not-percent?_pos=1&_sid=d4bc899b9&_ss=r

ACOUSTIC MEASUREMENTS USE A DB SCALE
When we measure sound pressure levels (SPL) in a room we use a decibel scale. The SPL is the ratio of the acoustic level to the threshold of normal hearing at 1 kHz. If the SPL of a signal is above 0 dB SPL it should be audible to listeners with normal hearing. If the SPL of a signal is below 0 dB SPL it should be inaudible to most listeners. The threshold of hearing varies from listener to listener and it also varies with frequency. Use the 0 dB SPL as a general rule of thumb for the threshold of hearing.
- Rich

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
On the Arcam thread at the UK forum more than one person said the bass was stronger.

The trouble is that that single most important point (IMO) is stated once as an aside, whereas he goes on endlessly about mostly irrelevant (to SQ) measurements.
I understand your point but ASR is founded on providing objective measurements so it isn't surprising they focus on these measurements. Personally I think they do have some relevance to SQ, the objective feature type stuff doesn't really need a review for me to work out but the measurements add insight which is not available elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
To follow up on my post about the subwoofers disappearing when Dirac is enabled, that seems to be on the Bluetooth input only.

Please don’t use Bluetooth, when you have Airplay and Google Cast :) please please please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Is there an app for this unit? The marketing material states that there is but I cannot find one.

There is an app but it’s real crap. Use the web ui - a lot more powerful and feature packed.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
There is an app but it’s real crap. Use the web ui - a lot more powerful and feature packed.

Can you please share the link for the app. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1961 - 1980 of 2684 Posts