AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I am currently putting together a hi fi system for a friend of mine.

We have most of the parts already ordered, And will be doing two different boxes, one for the mid and high/ horn combo. And another for the subwoofers.

the setup is as this:

Source -> Active 3 way crossover -> Subwoofer Amp & mid/ high Amp -> speakers

speakers:
Subwoofers: 2 JBL w15GTI

Mids: Selenium 12PW5 (Haven't bought yet)

Highs: JBL 2425H with JBL 2370a Horns

Now we are building custom boxes, two for the mid/highs, and two for the subwoofers.

Anyone have any experience, know of any resources to look up box designs for these?

P.S. I have box building experience, I've done multiple custom builds for car subwoofers, although years ago in high school.

Any help would be awesome guys, Thanks!!!

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
there appears to be a problem with that driver in the 400-600hz region.
http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-370-selenium-12pw5-slf-specifications-44460.pdf
might want to look into something else.

the w15gti works best in a medium to large sealed enclosure or a large low tuned ported.
4 cubic feet sealed or larger would be a decent choice to get started.

you didn't mention anything about measurements or horn compensation eq.
are you sure that you know what you are getting into?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there appears to be a problem with that driver in the 400-600hz region.
http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-370-selenium-12pw5-slf-specifications-44460.pdf
might want to look into something else.

the w15gti works best in a medium to large sealed enclosure or a large low tuned ported.
4 cubic feet sealed or larger would be a decent choice to get started.

you didn't mention anything about measurements or horn compensation eq.
are you sure that you know what you are getting into?
Thanks for the heads up. I'm just going to save up for the 2206H instead. Anybody have any design builds for the 2206H with 2425H driver with 2370a Horn??

·
Registered
823 Posts
Source -> Active 3 way crossover -> Subwoofer Amp & mid/ high Amp -> speakers

speakers:
Subwoofers: 2 JBL w15GTI

Mids: Selenium 12PW5 (Haven't bought yet)

Highs: JBL 2425H with JBL 2370a Horns
Passive crossover for mid-highs or active crossover? Your description is a little unclear...3-way crossover but 2 amps....

A trip to the Lansing Heritage forum is always helpful when working up an all JBL build.

Sort of looking for a deal on a pair of the w15GTi myself for a future build....very nice driver but I can't find them cheap :(

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
4 cubic feet sealed or larger would be a decent choice to get started.?
I disagree. I did a listening test with a W15GTi where we had a box (I think it was 4.5 or 6.5 cubic feet, don't remember) and added inert stuff (textbooks, etc) and EQ until there was harm noted.

IIRC we got down to ~2 cubic feet before EQ couldn't make it sound as good as the biggest box. IMO 2.5 cubic feet is plenty, with a decent amp and DSP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts