AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to take an opportunity to show some very nice speakers I had custom made. These speakers consist of a Lambda TD12H, PHL 1120 and NeoPro5i and are being called JCW's. The name consists of the first initials of the folks involved in this project.

I understand this may not be the typical thread that would show up in the DIY section but since these guys did DIY it, I thought is would be OK.

J=James, financier

C=Curt, crossover designer and sound tweaker

W=Wayne, cabinet builder and sound tweaker

I wanted to create this myself but my lack of knowledge in speaker building and due to physical limitations this was not possible. I had contacted a few folks about my concept but things did not work out. I got some advice from another forum member (Chuck) who stated I should see if Curt would be interested in this. After some initial discussions on what I was looking for the project took off.

I spoke with both Curt and Wayne many times during the build process on many different aspects of the build, where the speakers would be located, equipment being used, room size, veneer type, style, etc, etc.

The Lambda is being crossover to the PHL at 500 and the PHL to the NeoPro at 2000. The Lambda is in one cabinet and the PHL-Neo is in a separate one. Both are cherry veneer with solid cherry edges. Combined the two cabinets weigh about 122 pounds (for one side).

A couple of things I will not be discussing are the overall cost of these but will say the drivers themselves were around 1,500. Neither will I be showing schematics of the crossover that were created. Sorry but that is a choice I have made.

I have been using vinyl as my initial listening platform for these. My setup can be seen here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1052573

I hope someone enjoys the work of two guys that really enjoy (and know how to) make some kicking speakers in there spare time and I REALLY wanted to express publicly how enjoyable it was to work with them.

And by the way, these speakers rock. I am hearing things in music that I have not heard before. Allot of drum, cymbal and string sounds are now appearing. The voice section is also very nice, Alison Krauss has never sounded better (along with the Led Zepp and AC-DC). I am not really good at describing sound so I will leave it at that.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Fantastic work ! The cabinets are pure class,I like the driver selection. The sound must be transparent above all,with explosive dynamics. In other words revealing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Amazing looking speakers, and judging by who made them - I'm sure they sound just as good as they look.

Want to practice your write-up skills?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing I forgot to mention is the grills are held on by magnets hidden behind the veneer. Also, the trim is solid cherry.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
The cabinets are pure class,I like the driver selection. The sound must be transparent above all,with explosive dynamics. In other words revealing.

yeah, its from the 3-way thread we have going....Several of us are doing the same thing...John from Acoustical Eleagance has been awesome. Exojam got the last PHL mid-range drivers though
so Im trying some B&C out. Like ExoJam said the costs are up there but anyone can call John and maybe get a discount on the tweeter and woofer.

My drivers are in boxes still and Im doing the cabinets right now.....roundovers done and not on to sanding.....

My crossovers will be posted and they will be all active at first and I might create a passive crossover for the TM section.

Btw, nice job Exojam.....I guess you solved the UPS nightmare!!!!

Quote:
Good job we don't all think like that.

I think Exojam, has a sign contract to not tell anyone since someone professional did it for me, correct Exojam??

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Exomjam, how low does your TD12 box go and what is the volume of the box?

Mine is sealed (2 cuft) and my TD12S are only going down to 70Hz.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The cabinets are separate. I wanted it this way in case I needed-wanted to be able to tilt the top cabinet.

No signed contract just a decision made between Curt, Wayne (who are DIY guys mostly seen on HT Guide)and myself.

Thanks for the comment on Exo. He just turned 9 a few weeks ago. Pure German blood lines. Cannot beat this dude, one hell of a Dobermann.

Cannot talk specifics on the design but they easily go into the 40's

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Cannot talk specifics on the design but they easily go into the 40’s

No worries, its not that hard to figure out since I know the driver size and I can guess the space
Plus I guess it really does not matter actually.

I can not wait to get mine running....Enjoy your system!!!

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Those look great.

I have my drivers ordered from John..I got 2 of those PHL's but do me no good since I am building 5 for my theater. Looking forward to Johns 6.5" mid see how that turns out.

Nate

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Exo: Looks good. Have you listened to any Fleetwood Mac? I like using Nicks' voice when judging the midrange. What electronics are you using with them, and have you noticed any hiss?

I've noticed that with my neopro5i, I can hear hiss much better due to it's higher sensitivity. (laptop source, DEQ2496, EP2500)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nasty,

I would think you could probably sell those PHL with no issues (or wait and pick up three more) since they work fabulous with these other drivers.

Looney,

I have not listened to any Fleetwood Mac yet. I do have Rumors on CD but my LP of Rumors is back ordered. I played Alison Krauss, it sounds amazing.

I just picked up the following three LP's on Saturday and got them cleaned but have have been sick and have not had a chance to listen to them. I hear everything with these drivers, good, bad, whatever comes from the source, I hear it.

Cream - Disraeli Gears

Metallica - Ride the Lightning

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

My gear consists of:

Denon 3803

Rega Planar 3 with Ortofon Blue 2M

Toshiba XA2

Rotel RMB-1075

Crown XTi1000

Sonotube sub with TC2000 15

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
laptop source

High sensitivity designs reveal weaknesses found in electronics. IPOD, portable sources,

etc., generally manifest horrible hiss. Time to optimize.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
...... nuke

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thylantyr /forum/post/14567418

I have been fond of concert DVD's on a larger screen. Oddly, the audio + visual experience, in spite of being compressed audio, seems more rewarding

than CD with no video. Try out some concert DVD's and see if you can

enjoy the experience more.

http://www.amazon.com/Fleetwood-Mac-...0301588&sr=8-1

1 - 20 of 82 Posts