AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jekyll and Hyde: The Musical is scheduled to be shown in HDTV on HBO-HD on Saturday December 28 at 4:45 PM. I hope it is the same HD video presentation we saw on PPV in March of last year . However, the HBO schedule page describes it as a "film presentation". Anyone know which one it really is?

I would think it's the same one we saw on PPV, due to the following announcement of a Broadway deal with HBO:

Quote:
Broadway Goes PPV

Multichannel News

12/2/2002 10:29:00 AM

Fresh off a distribution deal with Home Box Office, Kay Koplovitz’s Broadway Television Network will look to offer a live pay-per-view airing of a top Broadway play in May.

While BTN wouldn’t reveal the name of the play to be carried live, executives said offering a live PPV telecast will provide a major boost for both the company and the PPV-event category.

HBO Signature will distribute four of BTN’s PPV events as part of a multiyear agreement, beginning Dec. 7 with Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical.

Other BTN shows to air include Putting It Together, A Musical Review (Jan. 4) and Smokey Joe’s Café: The Songs of Leiber and Stoller, which will premiere in early 2003.
Jekyll and Hyde, Putting it together and Smokey Joe's Cafe just happen to be the three HD video presentations that have been done on HD-PPV over the past two years.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Dale Cripps HDTV Magazine says it is to be a film version of Jeckyl & Hyde. I just noticed that you said that in your first post. I guess he got that from HBOs web page. I hope that is incorrect. It should be the live version shot with HDTV cams which is much to be preferred.

Larry

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
IT was really fun, something different to see in hd and I liked it alot. hopefully we can get more stuff like this in teh future.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wow, I just watched this presentation on HBOHD and I couldn't believe that this outstanding PQ was on HBO. I kept switching back and forth between "Jekyll"/HBO and "The Merry Widow" on PBSHD OTA, and the HBO feed was clearly superior, Black Blacks, beautifully saturated colors, very 3D. I want more of this, and I don't even like musicals. (I was watching on a Mits WS-73711 via A Sony HD-200) It's on HBOHD again on Thurs Jan 02nd at 11:30 AM EST, check it out, this is one of the best (IMO) HD offerings yet.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Didn't get to see all of this but, on what I saw, the picture guality was outstanding-I would have to say it was probably the best I have seen on HBO. The audio was very good also.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
astounding picture quality. however, David Hasselhoff in HD was not that appealing, so I turned it off after 30 mins.

still, all in all, the picture quality was fantastic.:D

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Linux23
David Hasselhoff in HD was not that appealing, so I turned it off after 30 mins.
I would've kept it on just to look at Coleen Sexton! :D

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
i actually thought he did a better job then I thought he would, and good in general. I was too busy looking at the girl with the redish hair to care about david. :) anyone know her name, I missed it in teh credits

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tonypaul
I want more of this, and I don't even like musicals.
"Putting it Together: a Musical Review" with Carol Burnett will be on in January, and then "Smokey Joe's Cafe: the Songs of Leiber and Stoller" in February.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tonyb100
i actually thought he did a better job then I thought he would, and good in general. I was too busy looking at the girl with the redish hair to care about david. :) anyone know her name, I missed it in teh credits
That would be Andrea Rivette (playing Emma). The brunette was Coleen Sexton, playing Lucy.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
thanks vic, and thanks for the post giving us the heads up.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Quote:
I kept switching back and forth between "Jekyll"/HBO and "The Merry Widow" on PBSHD OTA, and the HBO feed was clearly superior
The PBS website states that "The Merry Widow" was SD Widescreen which would explain why HBO looked better. PBS did a nice job regardless.

Taken from the website:

GREAT PERFORMANCES:

"The Merry Widow" from the San Francisco Opera

Note: Widescreen Standard Definition

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
well atleast we now know hbo can beat sd widescreen. :) but seriously as I said before J and H looked great.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Kaa 1954,

The PBS website in San Diego lists "The Merry Widow" as a high definition broadcast on DT 30 (15.1 on my channel guide). It looked like HD, just not as wonderful as J and H on HBO. I have viewed SD material on KPBS's 15.2 (San Diegos SD widescreen PBS channel) and there is a major difference in PQ. It's possible that in PA it was only broadcast in Widescreen SD, however here in San Diego (IMO) it was HD.

I've emailed KPBS asking for a clairification as to the digital standard used in their broadcast of "TMW" and I'll post a further reply to their response.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Tuned in at various times and was delighted with the fidelity, presumably taped at 1080 60i. Seemed technically superior (crisper images) than CBS's "The Young and the Restless," another 1080 60i taped show that I rarely catch.

Of course Y&R is a soap and this was a staged drama. Naturally I was concerned about losing my imagination since this wasn't captured in 24p (film or tape), then converted to 1080 60i using 3:2 pulldown. It was direct, and I'm not certain, after reading other posts and the theory outlined here , whether such HBO productions are safe. ;) A while back I caught a segment on PBS of "The Ryan Interview" , featuring Ashley Judd, also taped at 1080 60i. This may be too much realistic imagery of dramas directly captured and 'visually implanted' at 60 images per second. -- John

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Picture quality was excellent. I could only watch a few minutes at a time but a got quite a few laughs watching Michael Night bellow out in song. His high kick at the end right before the credits was too much...I almost died.

Now all we need is Riverdance in HD!!! :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.