Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Daisy Whitney TVWeek.com January 5, 2006

During Thursday morning's opening keynote at the Consumer Electronics Show, Sony Corp.'s Chairman and CEO Howard Stringer announced that Sony Pictures' syndicated game shows "Jeopardy!" and "Wheel of Fortune" will be available in high-definition starting this fall.

They will be the first game shows available in the crisp, rich, HD format. The time is right, Mr. Stringer said, since the sale of HD sets will eclipse the sale of standard-definition sets for the first time this year, according to the Consumer Electronics Association.

"With the proliferation of HD, programming is ramping up," Mr. Stringer said.

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=9119

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Cool! An HD milestone for both game shows and syndicated programs. :cool:

I always thought Jeopardy would look great in HD.

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can almost see the Phillip Swann sniping "review" about how terrible Vanna looks in HD!

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
According to this , Wheel of Fortune already uses HD on the set to display "destination prizes".

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
I can almost see the Phillip Swann sniping "review" about how terrible Vanna looks in HD!
My exact thought you took the words right out of my mouth

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Is it logical to assume that my local NBC affiliate will present Jeopardy in HD if they are currently presenting all of the NBC network programming in HD?

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure about logical (lots of logical assumptions seem to be tossed on their ear by HD) but it does seem reasonable.

Why not call the station and ask?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
WMAR (which shows Wheel and Jeopardy in Baltimore) showed a Billy Graham syndicated special in HD.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall1
Is it logical to assume that my local NBC affiliate will present Jeopardy in HD if they are currently presenting all of the NBC network programming in HD?
No, passing through network HD is completely different than storing and forwarding syndicated programming and most stations are not equipped for it.

·
Premium Member
48,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the "Wheel" and "Jeopardy" announcements are huge in getting women more interested in HD.

Now if "Oprah" would join in......

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
This is great news and will surely get me back into Jeopardy, but am I missing something, I though both these shows were on ABC, not NBC.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Couldn't they offer a "live" HD feed at the most common time these shows are aired, Jeopardy at 7 and Wheel at 7:30, ET and PT?

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa
I think the "Wheel" and "Jeopardy" announcements are huge in getting women more interested in HD.

Now if "Oprah" would join in......
Come on now... let's not go there!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The answer is "Awesome!"

What is Jeopardy in HD?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn
This is great news and will surely get me back into Jeopardy, but am I missing something, I though both these shows were on ABC, not NBC.
They are syndicated so any station, no matter what the affiliation, could pick it up. However, I am pretty sure ABC has a deal for all their O&O's, so a majority of the country sees the show on their ABC affiliate.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Quote:
These shows are syndicated and will air on different network affiliates at different times in each market.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Thanks guys, I didn't realize they were syndicated, but I just went to ABC.com and couldn't find anything so yeah....

learn something new everyday :)

·
Super Moderator
18,005 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys, I didn't realize they were syndicated, but I just went to ABC.com and couldn't find anything so yeah....

learn something new everyday :)
Which, as mentioned earlier, will be the biggest issue with HD distribution. IIRC, they're King World properties, and that's Viacom and we know how Viacom feels about HD (even though they're no longer CBS' parent). Somehow, a receiver, possibly a dish, timeshifting gear and routing equipment is going to have to show up at every affiliated station. Kind of doubt King World will provide that.. at least not outside of the top ten markets. But they might help with the financing .

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace
No, passing through network HD is completely different than storing and forwarding syndicated programming and most stations are not equipped for it.
My thoughts exactly, because not all stations play Wheel and Jeoprady at the same time, so either they will feed it every thirty minutes, or they expect the stations to pony up for HD timeshifting....

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.