AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now... Before I go into this, some details... I am 21 and my girlfriend of 4 years and I just bought a house 2 months ago. I've always wanted a theater, and we've decided this is going to be the first thing we really "do" to the house.

Thing is though... We don't really know about water damage in this room. It is going into the basement, and the previous owners said the other side of the basement did have a bit of water leakage so we've decided to wait until next year to do any drywalling/carpeting and all that stuff.

And to let you guys know, budget is going to be holding the theater back compared to most (if not all) of yours. We're just kids yet and we definitely don't have the best paying jobs.

Ok. As for equipment so far, this is what I have:

Onkyo HT-S7400 5.1 Home Theater in a Box. (Mainly temporary for a year or two until I can afford better speakers)

Epson 8350

FAVI 120' Electric Screen

But onto the pictures. This is how the room looked a bit after buying the house. Plus these are all taken with my cell phone, as I don't have an actual camera.

-This is the side of the room that the theater is going to be.

-I haven't really decided what I want this side of the room to be quite yet.

And this is how the room looks now:

-Downstairs there is a (temporary) door crappily painted red.

-The door knob

-Area behind the theater. Have no clue what I'll end up doing with this side.

-Other side of the area behind the theater. I have a 500 days of Summer poster coming waiting to fill in that poster frame.

-I got one of those garage shelf units to hold the AV gear. And yes... Beautiful cables. I just love showing them all off.

-The shelfing unit. Projector. Receiver. PS3.

-Theater side. As you can see, I put up a false wall of some basic fabric from Walmart since I wanted to hide the speakers/sub. This will largely be replaced next year.

-Same view. Screen is down.

-The area behind the screen.

____________________________________________________________ ____

So yes. Compared to every theater I've seen on this, I have quite the craphole. However, I'm loving the craphole so far. When all the lights are off and you're watching a movie, everything just disappears and you forget you're basically in a prison room. Ha. Either way though, cant wait until I can get the drywall up though.

Need some help though...

Here is a very quick drawing of the room size I just did in Microsoft Paint:

Any ideas on how I can set this theater up next year when I get the drywall in? And I definitely need some ideas on what I can do on that left side of the room.

So yes. That was my theater so far. It's called the .5 Theater because it's basically "finished" at 50% progress until next year. Until then...

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
direct your pics to the thread. It will help a lot. click on the earth link icon then clear it and paste your copied image from photobucket (hover over pic that you want then go down to the IMG code and click it) it will then be copied. Make sure that when you insert the link here that the window (earth insert link) is blank then press paste.

Thats pretty broken directions but should get you there.

Welcome to the forums and good luck with the HT!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic /forum/post/20879339

direct your pics to the thread. It will help a lot. click on the earth link icon then clear it and paste your copied image from photobucket (hover over pic that you want then go down to the IMG code and click it) it will then be copied. Make sure that when you insert the link here that the window (earth insert link) is blank then press paste.

Thats pretty broken directions but should get you there.

Welcome to the forums and good luck with the HT!

But the pictures are a bit too big and it'll make everyone scroll down forever to see everything.

·
Registered
89 Posts
anyway you can hang some heavy blankets on the walls?

great start

·
Registered
529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20879728

This forum is populated mostly by guys bored at work or relaxing at home not people on their Iphones.

Truer words have never been spoken Ha!

Good luck on your build. I'm sure you'll be very happy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed the pictures.

But yeah, I think I'll end up getting some curtains or something to put along the walls on the theater side. That would help quite a bit, right? At least compared to the brick wall?

EDIT: And on another forum someone wanted me to do quick layout picture of the whole basement, so here it is:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks like a promising area. You've not mentioned your requirements for the room - how much seating, size of budget, any sound proofing...

First start is to decide how deep you want the room. Most people have to plan and limit their seating depending on the room, but you can decide on your seating then build the back wall around that.

As far as sound proofing goes as you're going to frame the walls then it would be very easy to decouple them from the concrete walls to contain the sound. The only issue is the ceiling - for decent sound proofing you'd be best to take down those tiles and use a hat-track to hand your drywall. Stuff the walls with insulation to deaden resonance and you'll be laughing.

Look forward to seeing what you do with the space - remember; lots of pics!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are the dimensions of the room. Would love to hear any help with designing the layout of the room. I just mainly want 2 couches. I'm not sure how that would work though since the ceiling is only 7'2". Would that be enough height to get a riser in there yet even if it is right under the projector yet?

And yeah I would just like some type of false wall behind the screen so I can put the speakers back there. I like having that from wall be barebones looking.

I'm not going to worry about sound proofing so much. The concrete walls are actually already pretty darn good at blocking the sound. The only problem I could see with sound is the bedroom is right above the theater, but I don't mind wearing nice headphones for late night movie watching.

I really don't have a set budget or anything for the construction phase, but I am kind of planning to spend around $3,000 to $4,000. Is that doable for the drywall, carpet, paint, lighting, and all that stuff?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sound wise, how important is having a rear wall? I'm thinking about leaving that whole room open. That way anyone that is in the bar area will be able to watch the screen too without any problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.