AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When watching my local ABC WTNH-DT I notice a jerky motion sometimes, like several frames are being lost every 1-5 seconds. Sound is fine during this time. Signal strength is steady (100 during the day, around 79+ at night). Has anyone else ever seen this? Is it a defect in my STB or a problem with WTNH?

If it matters to anyone, my equipment includes: Winegard GS1000 antenna, ChannelMaster 7777 pre-amp, Hughes E86, Toshiba 56H80, Yamaha 1105 receiver. My house is at or near the top of a hill/mountain around 950', if I read the topo-map right. Antenna is mounted on 10' mast to chimney for a total height of ~990'. I usually pick up WFSB at a signal strength of 100 and never see the jerky motion on that channel or on 199/509 Directv. Any ideas?

I found a similar post on another site:

"Mits HD5 and Jerky ABC HD pict.

This article authored by Brian on 1/30/01 at 8:17 PM.

I just got a Mitsubishi SR-HD400 for the Super Bowl. (*That* was awesome!) But, I've noticed a problem viewing HD content from ABC. Movement in the picture seems real jerky and discrete. It's almost as if a strobe was being used, except there is no flashing. The problem is absent when 4:3 commercials come on, even though they are up-converted to the HD feed.

My theory is that the Mitsubishi box is having trouble up-converting the 720p ABC HD feed to the 1080i that the box outputs to the TV. I'm guessing that I don't see this problem with 4:3 commercials, or 480i content up-converted to 720p (then 1080i) because there is less actual picture information, in spite of the HD format, and therefore it is computationally easier. In any case, the result is unacceptable and may very likely cause me to return the box as "not ready for prime time."

Any thoughts?"

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have the same problem along with evryone else in CT. This problem only started a couple of months ago. The former chief engineer of WTNH-tv now works with us at ESPN. He left Channel 8 about 4 month ago but keep in contact with the new chief. I was told they did a software upgrade 2 months ago which is when the issues started. I have tried to call the new chief with no luck. I hope they fix the problem in time for the new season.

Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.