AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay controversey, stereotypes, and content aside the Nielsen ratings that MTV received for season 1 had them renew for season 2.

Quote:
"...averaged 3.6 million viewers during last Thursday's back-to-back episodes, and gained a 3.5 share with viewers 12-34,"

January 18th, 2010
http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/20...p-on-climbing/

These ratings are higher than an episode of Law & Order: SVU.

I don't see how MTV would allow 495 Productions (production company) to shoot in standard definition for season 2 in South Beach Miami, FL in May.
SOURCE

Has anyone heard anything official regarding in HD production?

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Hope not. Focusing on those bozos could damage the HD camera lenses. But on a positive note, I've read that Season 2 will take place in Florida, not Jersey. Whatever it takes to get them out of the state.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Why would MTV not allow them to shoot SD? MTV nwtorks in general, does not seem to give a crap about HD or they would actually air shows in HD more than one time and would not window box them for other runs, both before and after the HD showing.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
My bet is that they'll shoot in widescreen SD and then letterbox it (even on their HD channel) so it "looks" like it was a high quality production without actually spending an extra dime on it.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
'Jersey Shore' in HD belongs in the category "crimes against humanity". Especially when MTV "HD" airs music videos and movies in [email protected]$#ING WINDOWBOX format and BET "HD" airs "Everybody Hates Chris" in 4x3 SD, even though Viacom's Nick At Nite shows it in HD.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i doubt it. 495 is a small outfit and probably owns some prosumer DVCAM stuff that they do their production on. On top of that all the robotic cams and "security" type nightvision stuff is dirt cheap to do in SD, but prohibitively expensive to do for HD...my money is on it being SD again.

·
Registered
924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniec /forum/post/18263336

i doubt it. 495 is a small outfit and probably owns some prosumer DVCAM stuff that they do their production on. On top of that all the robotic cams and "security" type nightvision stuff is dirt cheap to do in SD, but prohibitively expensive to do for HD...my money is on it being SD again.

It better be in HD. Real World and Real World/Road Rules Challenge are now shot only in HD and they would have the same challenges. Those shows do well but I think Jersey Shore did even better in ratings. MTV would silly not to get this shot in HD.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f /forum/post/18273173

It better be in HD. Real World and Real World/Road Rules Challenge are now shot only in HD and they would have the same challenges. Those shows do well but I think Jersey Shore did even better in ratings. MTV would silly not to get this shot in HD.

Ratings have nothing to do with whether or not MTV shoots in HD.

Look at "16 and Pregnant." That show is highly rated. (My wife loves it for some reason. That really creeps me out.) It's pretty much always in 16x9 SD.

·
Registered
612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspaz /forum/post/18259789

These ratings are higher than an episode of Law & Order: SVU.

Uhh probably because 12-34 is not the key demo of anything on broadcast TV, and certainly not Law & Order. Who under the age of 18 watches SVU? I guess picking the oldest skewing thing on TV is a good way to pump up Jersey Shore.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalist5.1 /forum/post/18275981

because 12-34 is not the key demo of anything on broadcast TV, and certainly not Law & Order.

You are correct.

Quote:
I guess picking the oldest skewing thing on TV is a good way to pump up Jersey Shore.

Not my intention at all. I looked up the ratings numbers myself to find anything comparable in primetime on a network channel.

It is not a fair comparison as the age demographic is not the same but those ratings numbers (Jersey Shore) are still very good for a cable channel and I was only presenting similar ratings numbers by an example of a very popular show (L&O:SVU) by ratings.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f /forum/post/18273173

True, but Real world is produced by a larger outfit with more 'hit' shows (Bunim/Murray Productions) then Jersey Shore (495 Productions). Remember it's not MTV that is producing these 'reality' shows it's an independent production company with their own budgetary constraints.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Another budgetary fact is that in the long term these MTV reality shows don't do well in syndication so they're practically disposable.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and if you didn't think this show could do it it has inspired similar shows with other stereotypes:
Quote:
495 Productions, the production company behind Jersey Shore, is working on a spinoff dubbed the Persian Version. It will focus on Iranian-American men and women who love to party
Quote:
The Persian Version will join two other knockoffs reportedly in development—one focusing on Russian-Americans from Brooklyn's Brighton Beach and another on the denizens of Los Angeles' Koreatown.
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b175...#ixzz0khtzxDgp

·
Registered
772 Posts
What's going on with Jersey Shore and high def on MTV HD? The first episode aired in HD but every subsequent repeat and even new episodes are now letterboxed within a 4:3 window on MTV HD. At least that's how it's showing up for me on TWC NYC. Are people with different providers seeing the same thing or are you still getting all the episodes in HD? When the Jersey Shore episodes started airing in letterbox, I thought either TWC or MTV were transmitting HD programming with the wrong aspect ratio but The Real World, Warren the Ape and The Hard Times of RJ Berger - all HD programs - are still being aired in full screen HD. Any ideas what's going on?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee /forum/post/19042293

What's going on with Jersey Shore and high def on MTV HD? The first episode aired in HD but every subsequent repeat and even new episodes are now letterboxed within a 4:3 window on MTV HD. At least that's how it's showing up for me on TWC NYC. Are people with different providers seeing the same thing or are you still getting all the episodes in HD? When the Jersey Shore episodes started airing in letterbox, I thought either TWC or MTV were transmitting HD programming with the wrong aspect ratio but The Real World, Warren the Ape and The Hard Times of RJ Berger - all HD programs - are still being aired in full screen HD. Any ideas what's going on?

Peter, thats a weird thing thats been happeing with MTV, about most repeats of HD shows, being shown letterboxed. Its been happeing for a long time. When this happens, you might be lucky to get an HD re-airing.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Has anyone e-mailed MTV about this? I would, but I never watch the channel. It's really pathetic they don't understand how to do HD apparently. Comedy Central is excellent - almost everything they show now is in HD and repeats are also all in HD.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Unless an insider can provide an address or a contact, I have no idea where or to whom to write.

To be fair, I don't think it's as bad as Tele-TV says. There are only five HD shows on MTV - Real World, RJ Berger, Warren the Ape, Degrassi and Jersey Shore. For the first four shows, both new and repeat episodes air in HD. Degrassi is a pleasant surprise because it's a TeenNick show that airs in SD 4:3 because TeenNick HD doesn't exist yet MTV runs the 16:9 HD version. Jersey Shore is the only program where the repeats and the NEW episodes are both letterboxed, at least after the premiere episode which aired in HD. That's the weird thing that's brought my attention to this issue; the premiere episode of Jersey Shore was in HD but they inexplicably switched to letterbox since. It's like they changed their mind and decided Jersey Shore should be an SD show like Teen Mom.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Well I know MTV-HD shows HD movies in SD too. They did it for House of Wax and I was pissed. There's no reason for that crap. They must be run by the same market they're targeting.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee /forum/post/19043235

Unless an insider can provide an address or a contact, I have no idea where or to whom to write.

To be fair, I don't think it's as bad as Tele-TV says. There are only five HD shows on MTV - Real World, RJ Berger, Warren the Ape, Degrassi and Jersey Shore. For the first four shows, both new and repeat episodes air in HD. Degrassi is a pleasant surprise because it's a TeenNick show that airs in SD 4:3 because TeenNick HD doesn't exist yet MTV runs the 16:9 HD version. Jersey Shore is the only program where the repeats and the NEW episodes are both letterboxed, at least after the premiere episode which aired in HD. That's the weird thing that's brought my attention to this issue; the premiere episode of Jersey Shore was in HD but they inexplicably switched to letterbox since. It's like they changed their mind and decided Jersey Shore should be an SD show like Teen Mom.

Thanks Peter, your right about the first ep being HD. I thought I was losing it when I saw the second episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 /forum/post/19043243

Well I know MTV-HD shows HD movies in SD too. They did it for House of Wax and I was pissed. There's no reason for that crap. They must be run by the same market they're targeting.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I was just flipping throught the channels yesterday and came across MTV HD, and there were showing that Hillary Swank movie Freedom Writers, and it was in SD. I'm 99% sure that movie aired in HD on a premium ch. before.

BOTH/GUYS - QUESTION please:

So ANY?? show that is window-boxed (four black bars/ all around the screen), is a show that was shot in HD?

TIA!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts