AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really wanting Jimi Plays Monterey on DVD as I think this performance best captures Jimi at the top of his game and eclipses the other live performances I've seen by him. The thing is, I don't want to purchase the rather spendy Complete Monterey Pop 3 DVD set just for this performance (the rest of Monterey Pop doesn't interest me).

I noticed Jimi Plays Monterey was released on VHS a few years ago, does anyone think it will be released on DVD too? Or should I just pony-up the $55 for Monterey Pop?

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
That performance changed my life, well it may have also had something to do with the acid we were taking. I wasn't actually at it, but discovered it decade later at a party with some friends, whose older brother had a copy around. I was a budding guitarist and I put it on and had an epiphany. The guitar work on "Hey Joe" and "Like a Rolling Stone" is frighteningly good.

There are a few different Hendix DVDs out now, and some of them have footage from Monterey I think. The "Jimi Hendrix" documentary, which is probably the best one about him I guess, is out on DVD now, and it has some scenes, but they are not full performances if I remember correctly (but worth it to see Little Richard's big toe shoot up into his boot, and to see other side effects of heavy drug use in the 60's.)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Pronto Pup,

For $13 you can can get the new Jimi Plays Berkeley DVD.

Eddie Kramer who remastered Monterey Pop, worked his magic again with the DD5.1 soundtrack.

Guitar tone and vocals are vibrant and really put you at the concert.

Video is 4:3 but looks good for 1970.

This is a must buy for any Hendrix fan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.