AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have seen some of my posts to far, regarding certain questions I have had during the planning process of this whole HT build. From curtains for sound absorption to rack design I have finally reached a point where I can take those blind faith leaps foreward into construction.

First, my inspiration (I recommend everyone find an HT picture somewhere that they can use for inspiration.) Here is mine:

Second, the space I have to work with

Next, what I have planned:

Here is the schematic drawing I have come up with (to scale 1ft = 1 block)

Check out my 3D rendered walk-through ** CLICK HERE**

I am planning a center raised ceiling cut out that you can see on this walkthrough ** CLICK HERE**

Here are some stills from the walkthrough:

My sound reflection points using First Reflection Point

The rack will go under the stairs. I used Rack Tools to come up with this

The wet bar in back I want to be similar to this:

I have been planning the cable runs as of late and here is what I have

INPUT PLEASE!! IS THERE ANYTHING I HAVE FORGOTTEN, ANYTHING I NEED TO TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION, ANYTHING I SHOULD DO DIFFERENTLY?

Stay tuned...

Low voltage Cables.doc 20k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think it's going to look great. I love the use of wood everywhere in the inspirational picture. Are you sure you want to use that couch though? That won't fit that many people very comfortably for a long duration.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What you gonna do about that plumbing in the back?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinACrider /forum/post/0

I think it's going to look great. I love the use of wood everywhere in the inspirational picture. Are you sure you want to use that couch though? That won't fit that many people very comfortably for a long duration.

That wood is great isn't it. I am going to do that on the pilars along the sides, but not all of the walls like he did.

The couch is a problem right now. You think I should go with theater seating instead? I am looking for seating that is a little more intimate than separates though.

As for the wet bar. I am going to have to have it plumbed in...

·
Registered
756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcritch /forum/post/0

The couch is a problem right now. You think I should go with theater seating instead? I am looking for seating that is a little more intimate than separates though.

Intimate as in facing each other for conversation, or intimate as in snuggling up together and watching a movie? You can get theater seats in loveseat/couch configurations that allow for snuggling. You could also throw some spillover chairs in there that swivel for conversation if that is you intent.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
That's some nice clean space to work with. I'm envious of your ceiling height.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,584 Posts
Looks like a great project please document your progress we will all follow it.

however, based on the body language of your in-laws It looks like they think you are a little daft about this project.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/0

Looks like a great project please document your progress we will all follow it.

however, based on the body language of your in-laws It looks like they think you are a little daft about this project.

You nailed it right on the head!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/0

That's some nice clean space to work with. I'm envious of your ceiling height.

I still wish I had another foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_hinni /forum/post/0

Intimate as in facing each other for conversation, or intimate as in snuggling up together and watching a movie? You can get theater seats in loveseat/couch configurations that allow for snuggling. You could also throw some spillover chairs in there that swivel for conversation if that is you intent.

Intimate as in snuggling up together and watching a movie. Thats why I was thinking of using a small sectional. Something like this maybe:

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
It all depends on whether you are making a media room with other purposes or a dedicated theater room. I think the sectional couch is a terrible idea in a theater room. At the very least have your couches, if you are using couches, all facing the screen.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall /forum/post/0

It all depends on whether you are making a media room with other purposes or a dedicated theater room. I think the sectional couch is a terrible idea in a theater room. At the very least have your couches, if you are using couches, all facing the screen.

I agree, sectional is a bad idea in theater, but I do intend to make this more of a 'media' room where you can hang out. Will be a lot of Xbox going on as well PC,Wii, poker, drinking, partying, passing out, waking up and partying some more...

Its just that I dont want a stuffy, row type theater seating that dictates everybody shut up, face foreward and watch the move like some fascist scene from 1984.

I like the spinning chair idea. I think I will try to find some space for that... front right?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Lomax /forum/post/0

Some of the most comfortable and relaxing theaters I have been in had nothing but oversized couches and loveseats in them. Oh and those huge beanbag chairs are great as well.

Max, you always get me...

btw, where is that post on DIY flush rack mount.

For those of you who dont know, max has one of the best looking racks on AVS. And his equipment mount is nice too. Here is a picture of it:

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,584 Posts
JJ, I don't know how new that house is, it looks brand new. You may want to make sure you live through a really heavy rainstorm to be sure it stays nice and dry before hiding the exterior walls behind insulation and drywall.

I'm actually kind of surprised that there isn't any insulation on those walls already? Or did you take it down to paint the walls? usually code requires a certain amount on any new construction.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcritch /forum/post/0

For those of you who dont know, max has one of the best looking racks on AVS. And his equipment mount is nice too.

Well done!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/0

I'm actually kind of surprised that there isn't any insulation on those walls already? Or did you take it down to paint the walls? usually code requires a certain amount on any new construction.

Um...its an unfinished basement. That big window is one of these Egress Windows. Walls? I assume you mean the ceiling supports because the walls are just concrete.? Where we are in Michigan there is no code that says you need batting in ceiling for basement. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are talking about.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
There's prescriptive code and then there's design-based code.

If you have a home builder that is building the same house again and again (or a custom home), there are tradeoffs that can be designed to meet the energy code. Larger overhangs, low-e glass, high efficiency furnaces. Plug them all into REScheck. It's it passes, you're good to go. Of course, you need a licensed professional to do so. The rest of us just look at the book and it says "use R19 here, R30 there, and R11 there".

Or the insulation could be on the outside of the foundation.

Or the inspector could have done a drive-by inspection.

Who knows.

Tim

·
Registered
335 Posts
Actually my house is built the same here in MI. I know in my case all I have outside of my basement walls is the waterproofing system. No insulation on the outside and none on the inside until you frame the walls. JJ you will probably have your basement done before me based on the rate I am going

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.