AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the beginning of planning a theater remodel. I have changed things up over and over the past 8 years. So I think I’ll take you down memory lane for a bit. Then we will get to business. But 1st, here’s my current room, and equipment list.

Equipment is:
Epson 5040ub
125” 2.35:1 a/t screen
Oppo 203
Marantz 7705 pre/pro
Emotiva xpa-7, a-700
1 fp10k, 2 fp20k
Titan 630’s, 4volt 10, 4 volt 6’s
4 ported NSW21’s ported 16.5hz tune
2 ds4’s ported 18hz nearfield
2 hst18’s ported 15hz tune rear subs
MiniDSP 10x10

Theater rack is on a dedicated 20A
All clone amps on dedicated 30A

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This was my blank slate, 8 years ago, before I started down the rabbit hole.

Then I put this in it.

And after adding nearfield IB subs, I ended up changing the orientation of the room. Screen wall will become the wall with the windows. Also switched to a/t screen at this point.

You can see the IB manifolds in this pic, on the right wall. There were 3, 2 drivers in each. Like this:

So later I built a hollow IB stage, moving my drivers up front, under the screen. The IB vented into the adjacent furnace room. Not ideal, but it worked rather well!

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Now we’re up to January 2015. At this point I begin a free fall down the diy speaker building rabbit hole. I built diysg cinema 10’s for LCR. What an upgrade from my Klipsch I was rollin with.

So now I wanted bigger subs, once I started reading in the Martysub thread.

And added rear Martys

Everything basically stayed this way, while I built volt 10’s for surrounds, and after AVR upgrades I built volt 6’s for Atmos. Things were just rolling along until the titan 615’s came out in March 2017. I knew I needed them, so I started the 1st decently sized remodel of my room. I gutted the IB stage and right wall of the room. It had a 4” jog in it, and I couldn’t live with that, so it had to go.

On onto the titans!

So I went from the above pic, to this

To this:

To today’s setup

Minus the devastators. Those have been sold. After realizing the NSW’s had enough midbass.
(Yeah I know. But it is. Trust me)

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So why the remodel? I always had a dream that I would move. To a house with a deep basement with high ceilings, that I could start over with my decade of experience and knowledge, but that ain’t happening. I am where I’ll be for at least 5 more years. Or more. Honestly no current plan to move. So I have a few goals.
Tear out all drywall.
Clips and channel, GG+DD on all walls and ceiling, making a fully enclosed space
Have a nicer more dedicated room that’s a black hole around the screen. I added black velvet here and there over the years, and the improvement was amazing.
Have acoustic treatment plan
Have a sealed, moderately soundproofed room. I don’t care about sound escaping so much, but brutal vibration I want to stop. See my video link to understand why. It’s laughable. And that mic in the vid I suspect is off a bit. It’s louder then 125db in there. And the system is not maxing out either.

So why the thread? I need ideas and help. I’m not helpless with the labor side, but I just need a good plan on how to proceed. Will my plan reach my goals? I don’t know. 130db of bass shaking the house is hard to stop. I know that. So any thoughts are appreciated.
I’ve built a system that I am very happy with. If I work now on the room, the system will be even better. Example I need to fully be enclosed. Then the bass will be better. And the sound floor lower. Better experience overall.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I am curious about your rack. What does the back of it look like? Is it custom built? Piece of furniture? Does the equipment run hot//how is the cooling situation?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I guess "small" is in the eye of the beholder. This layout looks cavernous compared to the working space available to me in my basement.

Reactions: pkinneb and Jk7.2

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess "small" is in the eye of the beholder. This layout looks cavernous compared to the working space available to me in my basement.

12’ X 22’ is what I’m working with. Down sides are 7’ ceiling. Plumbing drain pipe from 1st floor within the footprint of the room. Beam and support pole prevents expansion to the right. Water meter in room at front left. Theater placement means all basement traffic has to walk through the room. So I call it small for those reasons. If it was 12 X 22 with 10’ ceiling, all unobstructed, I’d be ecstatic!

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
i thought u replaced your main subs with NSW's?

super awesome room though...

Reactions: m0j0 and Jk7.2

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am curious about your rack. What does the back of it look like? Is it custom built? Piece of furniture? Does the equipment run hot//how is the cooling situation?

I did custom build this rack. It’s basically just a shelf. I bought mdf finished panels from Manards, just a home improvement store here in MI, and cut them and screwed them together. I’ll attach a few pics. It’s wide open front to back. I have a couple fans that automatically come on when I power up the system, that blow air into the pre/pro. Nothing gets hot. Just barely warm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is very impressive. I am starting to plan out a home theater in my basement with very similar dimensions to yours. I think mine will be 14' wide x 23' long and a 7' ceiling.

Do you think you have the space for two rows of seating with a riser? I'd like to get two rows of 4 in, but I'm not sure if I will have the room.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is very impressive. I am starting to plan out a home theater in my basement with very similar dimensions to yours. I think mine will be 14' wide x 23' long and a 7' ceiling.

Do you think you have the space for two rows of seating with a riser? I'd like to get two rows of 4 in, but I'm not sure if I will have the room.

A riser is out of the question with 7’ ceilings. Maybe the theater seats that are lower in the front row, and higher in the second row would work. It’s a compromise of course, but may work for you. Sight lines will most likely be interrupted this way. I went with a bar top and bar stools for a second row. Not as comfortable, but of course I had to make compromises too. Most of us do.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Mass and decoupling.........the ceiling will be the hardest to design........might have to get creative.

Yeah my floor above the theater bounces a lot. But I’m sure it will be worse once the pressure is contained in the room. You don’t think the standard clips, channel and DD will do enough?
Maybe like this? With extra mass between the joists

·
Registered
Yamaha RXa2060 - HTM12 / Pa460 3way LCR - Volt10s atmos - HT8s rears - (4) Dual JBL Devs - (2) F20s
432 Posts
I know I’m small potatoes around here but in my 2 1/2 years of upgrades I can say 3 things have really stood out on my quest.

1. An AT screen. Pretty self explaining but I would never be without one again.

2. Truly capable and matching LCR even xo at 80hz (60hz for the cc). And a capable CC.....??? who would have thought, WOW.

3. Left and Right rear subs.... I do not mean at all STEREO or having DIRECTIONAL bass behind you (clarifying for the peanut gallery). What I do mean is having two subs in each corner of the rear of the room at equal distance (or close to) to your MLP for me was a personal satisfaction that is hard to forget. I know you have the stair subs and I remember reading about how good they were when you put them in which started my quest with rear subs (and I tried a lot), but dual rear corner subs is something I would seriously concider.

I bring this up because I know you plan on doing front Devs. @Red Five has a “BMD 21” shallow DF” that would work great with the front setup but up against the back wall tipped upright and stacked on each other pointing at opposite corners of the room (I hope I explained that right), or they even could be incorporated into a new bar pointing at opposite side walls. At only 20 inches in depth you wouldn’t loose much floor space at all AND I think they should spl match pretty well for you because your seating should be closer to these. Actually I could think of a lot of good reasons and not many bad reasons.

Just a thought.... but seriously, rear corner subs.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts