AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I recently bought a Mitsubishi HC7800D and was viewing on what I thought was a very

good S-I-L-V-E-R and noticed lack of focus and a ton of noise in the image. So I started out

looking for a screen to do 2D/3D and ended up going with a 106" JKP 1.1 screen.

The reason is my room is total light controlled and black and nonrelective treated walls and

wanted to see an image with very good whites/color/ and focus. My previous HP screen was

very good and I thought bright or that plasma pop but had enhanced noise in the image. Being

that I sit 11ft back this noise really bothered me and since have read that I needed to sit

further back which is not an option in my theater.

My initial findings running the projector in low lamp mode this screen has plenty of pop and a

very clean and detailed image. Noise is all but gone and the projector looks fantastic. If I were

to describe the picture it would be real and life like another word would be natural. Now I know

I only watched 2 hours on the screen and the projector has 25 hours but this is a very good

combination DLP and JKP.

The thing that struck me was how uniform and bright the image was with excellent detail

and focus and how pure the picture looked never got this with my previous screens.

Tonight I am going to test 3D and going to see if the same holds true.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see no sheen from my close seating it is a very clean image. Pixels are nonexistent and there seems to be a clarity to the

image I have never seen. I am glad I went with the 1.1 over the .09. I never knew that a screen made this much difference.

Every movie looks real like the movie is coming out of the screen! I thought the high power was good where that screen was

brute force the JKP is like a smooth cigar. I would have never thought the Mitsubishi HC7800 would look this good. If you

have anymore questions I will try to answer them. Oh I forgot zero texture smooth as silk.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Watched the Avengers in 3D last night in low lamp mode and was plenty bright

on the JKP 1.1 in low lamp mode. Excellent 3D viewing tried hi lamp mode but

there was no need.

·
Registered
JVC RS2000| Runco Q750| Hitachi 3500 LED| DPI LED 600|130in 2:35.1| MadVR| Pioneer VSX-LX503
5,360 Posts
I have a sample and it looks very good. I'm thinking about getting one. I also have a carada cw in my room and the jkp 1.1 looks much smoother. I was discouraged from buying one but I think I might get one still.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
In my NOSHO, the JKP .9 and 1.1 are two of the very best reference quality screens out there. The material is textureless.. The third contender s the Stewart Snomatt 100 (1.0) gain. The JKPs may even have less texture than the Snomatt which has a minute amount which is not visible. The Stewart has slightly better uniformity in gain . Since I already owned a four way masking Stewart, I rescreened with the Snomatt. Going from the Studeotec 130 was a night and day level improvement in realism and having the screen surface completely disappear.

·
Registered
JVC RS2000| Runco Q750| Hitachi 3500 LED| DPI LED 600|130in 2:35.1| MadVR| Pioneer VSX-LX503
5,360 Posts
Mark, if you have seen them both, do they have any sheen at all? I have samples but haven't got around to using them. I heard that they do, but by looking at them, I can not see how. I had a SI Gamma 4K reference screen and the sheen and texture was visible on bright scenes. I seen a little from my HP screen also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have also placed an order for a 133" JKP 1.1. I'm not happy with my HP 2.4 screen, the screen has distracting visible dark streaks/texture during bright scenes. I even had the HP swapped twice and the problems still appear (the streaks/texture were different in every screen), Da-Lite was kind enough to allow me to pick another fabric instead.

I will post my observations compared to the 2.4 High Power once I receive the new screen.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120  /t/1466698/jkp-1-1-in-the-house#post_23528061

Mark, if you have seen them both, do they have any sheen at all? I have samples but haven't got around to using them. I heard that they do, but by looking at them, I can not see how. I had a SI Gamma 4K reference screen and the sheen and texture was visible on bright scenes. I seen a little from my HP screen also.

Please give me a call and we can discuss this question.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagorian  /t/1466698/jkp-1-1-in-the-house#post_23529104

I have also placed an order for a 133" JKP 1.1. I'm not happy with my HP 2.4 screen, the screen has distracting visible dark streaks/texture during bright scenes. I even had the HP swapped twice and the problems still appear (the streaks/texture were different in every screen), Da-Lite was kind enough to allow me to pick another fabric instead.

I will post my observations compared to the 2.4 High Power once I receive the new screen.

Gagorian,

Look forward to your impressions comparing the JKP 1.1 vs the 2.4 HP.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagorian  /t/1466698/jkp-1-1-in-the-house#post_23529104

When did you order your screen? Or when was the last time you had it swapped out?

I got a HCHP a couple months ago and had them do another QC check on it before it shipped to make sure it wouldn't have those issues.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I finally got around to looking at my samples to pick my next screen. Before I taped them to my carada cw screen, I really liked how smooth the jpk 1.1 and .9 material was but the da lite da mat was almost just has smooth. There was a slight texture to it, but a little less than the carada cw. First I compared the Jamestown and carada cw and I liked the carada but the Carada isn't worth 3x the cost. Then I put the jkp screens up and I preferred the jpk screens. Next I put the da mat screen in the middle of the jkp .9 screen and I could not tell the difference from them at my 11.5ft seating distance. They actually look like the same material. I think this might be my next screen and I can get it much cheaper than the jkp and carada screen.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I'm a newbie here and have had the JKP 1.1 133" for about 1.5 months in a dedicated theater paired with the Sony HW-50 and have to say it is absolutely awesome. Still getting everything dialed in but so far so good. Thank you Craig at AVS for your suggestion on a great screen.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade my screen from what I have - a 92" Da-lite Cinemavision, to a 100" Da-lite Cimena contour. Need help with screen selection. The throw is about 11 feet, right now I'm using a JVC RS-1 but plan to upgrade to either Sony HW50ES (or it's upcoming replacement) or a JVC RX55. Room has some ambient light in daytime (only really watch football in daytime), ceiling is light colored but walls are dark. Was looking at the JKP 1.1 material - do you have to use it in a batcave, or is it OK with some ambient light? If it's not suitable, any other suggestions preferably from the Da-Lite line? I see a grain in my Cinemavision on light colored field, would like something smoother if possible.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm currently in the process of swapping my screen out as well, and the JKP 1.1 was one of the potential options along with the Da Lite Da Mat 1.0.Currently I have Da Lite 119" High Contrast Grey Da Mat 0.8 gain with an Epson 5020. I thought it looked good until recently having my setup ISF calibrated.

Given that I can swap out the screen only, and keep my existing frame, going this route was more efficient from a price standpoint.

Looking forward to other feedback and if anyone can post up some screenshots, that would be great.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k02c5  /t/1466698/jkp-1-1-in-the-house#post_23545715

I'm currently in the process of swapping my screen out as well, and the JKP 1.1 was one of the potential options along with the Da Lite Da Mat 1.0.Currently I have Da Lite 119" High Contrast Grey Da Mat 0.8 gain with an Epson 5020. I thought it looked good until recently having my setup ISF calibrated.

Given that I can swap out the screen only, and keep my existing frame, going this route was more efficient from a price standpoint.

Looking forward to other feedback and if anyone can post up some screenshots, that would be great.

I say first get samples, you would be surprised at how similar the DaMat and jkp is. The jkp is a bigger sample, so you can place the DaMat sample in the middle to have a good comparison

1 - 20 of 114 Posts