AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does anyone know how much safe power the jl13 w6 can take, they say 500w but would a 1000w be ok turned down a little ?

Any help appreciated

·
Registered
398 Posts
Better to overpower than under. It's like running a car redline. You surely can run an amplifer at it stated upper ratings, butt more likely it isn't running at it's best. By giving more power, your amplifer will barely be sweating with plenty of headroom to shape the curves instead of 90 degree distortion on those bass notes.

1000 watts would be fine, but I seriously doubt you'll reach 1000 watts realistically. I can barely stand 400 watts before I worried that parts of my car are being not shaken but, battered and beaten and this was just with a single 8 inch sub.

Also at 1000 watts, buying the amp is the beginning of the journey. You'll need to upgrade the 'Big 3' electrical wires. 1000 watts is alot of power.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Thanks for your answer, i managed to get two from the states at just over the price of one in the the uk, so should be plenty enough bass.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't know if I agree that it is better to overpower than underpower as too much power is what kills subs. But as long as you are careful and listen for signs of stress then you should be ok. Also be sure that your gains are set correctly and to upgrade the "big 3" as razel suggests.

·
Registered
24 Posts
back to how a sub can be killed faster. say for instance you have a 04 kicker square 10 l7. if you put to much to it it will beat but after a few weeks or so of playing hard bass notes it will eventually fry the voice coils. and say you under power it with 200 watts rms instead of the subs recommed 500 watts rms you and then after a few weeks of playing you want to go to the recommed 500 watt the subs voice coils will just go you wont know that the sub is fried. you just might think that the amp fried or something until you ohm test the coils to find out that they will read at a higher ohm level or the level will just fluxuate from 4 to 9 ohms.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sometimes you can press on the woofer and listen for rubbing noises other times you can try to measure it, but the best way to test it is to hook it up to a working amp and just listen.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_the_Bass /forum/post/13093768

and say you under power it with 200 watts rms instead of the subs recommed 500 watts rms you and then after a few weeks of playing you want to go to the recommed 500 watt the subs voice coils will just go you wont know that the sub is fried.

Why do you think that switching to rms power will blow the subs voice coil? The simple fact of the matter is beyond physical damage (screwdriver through the surround/etc.) subwoofers "blow" from too much power, period. Whether you apply too much power for the application and go beyond the mechanical limits, or clip the signal and go beyond the thermal limits it's always from too much power.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Kephart /forum/post/13098702

Why do you think that switching to rms power will blow the subs voice coil? The simple fact of the matter is beyond physical damage (screwdriver through the surround/etc.) subwoofers "blow" from too much power, period. Whether you apply too much power for the application and go beyond the mechanical limits, or clip the signal and go beyond the thermal limits it's always from too much power.

i dont know how much i would say that. the most common reason i see subs "blown" is from distortion, dirty nasty power with the gains set to max and crossed over at 500hz.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just because distortion is present when the subs blow doesn't mean distortion is responsible. What is responsible is the excess power present. Once to prove my point, I took a JL W7 in a sealed enclosure, hooked it up to the smallest amplifier we had (peak power being well below the rms handling of the sub), turned up all the settings on the amp and head unit and let it play for a long while. There was quite a bit of distortion being played and yet the sub survived without a problem. If distortion really killed subs then there wouldn't be any sub that could survive a week as so much modern music is recorded with quite a bit of distortion in it.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_the_Bass /forum/post/13093768

back to how a sub can be killed faster. say for instance you have a 04 kicker square 10 l7. if you put to much to it it will beat but after a few weeks or so of playing hard bass notes it will eventually fry the voice coils. and say you under power it with 200 watts rms instead of the subs recommed 500 watts rms you and then after a few weeks of playing you want to go to the recommed 500 watt the subs voice coils will just go you wont know that the sub is fried. you just might think that the amp fried or something until you ohm test the coils to find out that they will read at a higher ohm level or the level will just fluxuate from 4 to 9 ohms.

So am I necessarily harming a sub by under powering it?

I am powering a JL Audio CS112RG-W1v2 by two channels of JL Audio A Series A4300 translating to 90w at 4ohms. Crutchfield website states that the sub has 50~500w RMS while JL Audio website says 300w RMS.

I have been told (now that I have bought and installed the system) by the installer and Crutchfield that the reason behind rather lack of bass is because I am providing such little power to the sub.

So, would I harm the sub if I continued to use this amp (I am planning on adding a new mono amp just to power the sub).?

TIA

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredjetdiwagon /forum/post/13118863

So am I necessarily harming a sub by under powering it?

I am powering a JL Audio CS112RG-W1v2 by two channels of JL Audio A Series A4300 translating to 90w at 4ohms. Crutchfield website states that the sub has 50~500w RMS while JL Audio website says 300w RMS.

I have been told (now that I have bought and installed the system) by the installer and Crutchfield that the reason behind rather lack of bass is because I am providing such little power to the sub.

So, would I harm the sub if I continued to use this amp (I am planning on adding a new mono amp just to power the sub).?

TIA

It depends. If you don't turn up your system too loud it shouldn't damage the sub at all. Damage from underpowering happens when an amp can't supply the power to the speaker when needed (volume way up). It basically toasts the voice coils due to heat, though it's pretty easy to tell when this might happen because you can hear distortion, aka clipping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts