AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm in the process of finishing off my basement and I am going to place 2 JL 13w7 at the front as sort of a large stage below the screen. I can go roughly 68" wide for each and that will fill out the width of the room. I had figured about 20" tall (20" is the maximum) and 24" deep with ~70" long 4"x16" port. I plugged it into WinISD, and it looked ok to me but to be honest I don't know enough about it to know for certain. Each sub will be getting approximately 1000-1200W each.

Any input on the size and tuning for the port is appreciated, I can really only go deeper as the 20" tall and 68" wide are the max dimensions. I already have the amp and both subs, actually been running one sub in a smaller 30" cube box and it is amazing.

·
Registered
474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity /forum/post/16977859

Ok, so I'm in the process of finishing off my basement and I am going to place 2 JL 13w7 at the front as sort of a large stage below the screen. I can go roughly 68" wide for each and that will fill out the width of the room. I had figured about 20" tall (20" is the maximum) and 24" deep with ~70" long 4"x16" port. I plugged it into WinISD, and it looked ok to me but to be honest I don't know enough about it to know for certain. Each sub will be getting approximately 1000-1200W each.

Any input on the size and tuning for the port is appreciated, I can really only go deeper as the 20" tall and 68" wide are the max dimensions. I already have the amp and both subs, actually been running one sub in a smaller 30" cube box and it is amazing.

It sounds like an interesting build. I did 2 curved sealed boxes (4 ft^3 each) for my 13W7s. I'm running them off a Crown CE4000, and I was not happy with the output until I added my two corner bass traps. Now it's pure clean, tight bass that's more or less car audio levels

I was going to do the same kind of idea as you. Build a bench in front of the basement, and have all my equipment on top. I decided against it because of vibration from the subs can't be good for a computer/processor/amps. In addition, having moveable boxes will help you select an optimum location in the room.

I'd be interested to see how your project turns out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by macming /forum/post/16980904

It sounds like an interesting build. I did 2 curved sealed boxes (4 ft^3 each) for my 13W7s. I'm running them off a Crown CE4000, and I was not happy with the output until I added my two corner bass traps. Now it's pure clean, tight bass that's more or less car audio levels

I was going to do the same kind of idea as you. Build a bench in front of the basement, and have all my equipment on top. I decided against it because of vibration from the subs can't be good for a computer/processor/amps. In addition, having moveable boxes will help you select an optimum location in the room.

I'd be interested to see how your project turns out.

Yeah, i'm actually not going to have anything on top of them, well I guess I will probably put my Paradigm center on top of it. I'm hoping it turns out well, because I really don't have any where else for such a large sub box unless I go with a couple of smaller ones similar to the specs I had for the orignal build. Just make them rectangular instead of a cube. I thought about building them into the riser, but I couldn't really find a spot to put the subs where you wouldn't have to walk on them, plus I forgot how deep these subs were too. Any suggestions on the bass traps and the advantages, I haven't done any research on those yet either.

·
Registered
474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity /forum/post/16980968

Any suggestions on the bass traps and the advantages, I haven't done any research on those yet either.

I can't think of any disadvantages for corner bass traps. They are not like regular treatment where you can over deaden the room.

After I put mine in place, the bass definitely became tighter, and I turned down the output a bit and I still have more bass.

I'll post a picture of my setup when I get home tonight if you're interested.

I have my Studio 60, 13W7, CC570, 13W7, and Studio 60 sitting in the front row. I think it looks excellent in this configuration

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by macming /forum/post/16981531

I can't think of any disadvantages for corner bass traps. They are not like regular treatment where you can over deaden the room.

After I put mine in place, the bass definitely became tighter, and I turned down the output a bit and I still have more bass.

I'll post a picture of my setup when I get home tonight if you're interested.

I have my Studio 60, 13W7, CC570, 13W7, and Studio 60 sitting in the front row. I think it looks excellent in this configuration

Yes pics please
, mine will be very similar setup to yours with Studio 100's and the signature C5 center, then the dual 13w7's will be what all of that will be sitting on.

·
Registered
474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity /forum/post/16981550

Yes pics please
, mine will be very similar setup to yours with Studio 100's and the signature C5 center, then the dual 13w7's will be what all of that will be sitting on.

Here you go
I posted some pictures before, but I didn't have my bass traps finished yet. Now the HT looks complete

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WOW, I really like those enclosures so how do you like them sealed? Right now i'm looking at doing 10 ft^3 for each enclosure and set the center channel down in between them similar to what you have shown. The Studio 100's would then sit on top of the subs on each side, i'm hoping this would allow for mounting the screen lower and install a tre ceiling. I also thought about making columns on either side of the theater near some duct work and mounting the subs in those, leaving the front completely open other than the fronts.

·
Registered
474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity /forum/post/16984001

WOW, I really like those enclosures so how do you like them sealed? Right now i'm looking at doing 10 ft^3 for each enclosure and set the center channel down in between them similar to what you have shown. The Studio 100's would then sit on top of the subs on each side, i'm hoping this would allow for mounting the screen lower and install a tre ceiling. I also thought about making columns on either side of the theater near some duct work and mounting the subs in those, leaving the front completely open other than the fronts.

Keep in mind, I think generally speakers sound their best when the tweeter is at ear level. Elevating speakers may have negative impact on sound quality. The best way to test it is to put your 100s on a milk carton (anything that's similar in height) and see if it sounds OK

I love the sound quality of a sealed setup. The rear of my HT is wide open, I had some serious cancellation issues previously. Now my bass trap solved those problems, and I am totally satisfied. However, a properly ported setup should sound amazing too. Just spend sometime to make sure you get the design right before building.

I'm excited to see your build, so hopefully you'll document your build process better than I did.

·
Registered
474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/16984071

Thats right where my sealed subs measured the best and sound great ! They look great..nice room !!!!

I did the "measurement" by ear, and they ended up in front purely for speaker cable connection/aesthetics reasons
I guess I got lucky hehe.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by macming /forum/post/16984113

Keep in mind, I think generally speakers sound their best when the tweeter is at ear level. Elevating speakers may have negative impact on sound quality. The best way to test it is to put your 100s on a milk carton (anything that's similar in height) and see if it sounds OK

I love the sound quality of a sealed setup. The rear of my HT is wide open, I had some serious cancellation issues previously. Now my bass trap solved those problems, and I am totally satisfied. However, a properly ported setup should sound amazing too. Just spend sometime to make sure you get the design right before building.

I'm excited to see your build, so hopefully you'll document your build process better than I did.

Yeah, I always preferred sealed boxes, but was always told that the ported was the way to go for the w7's and my test setup went fairly well. I'm going to do my best to document everything, but I'm in the middle of the theater build as well as trying to figure out the theater layout, sub size and build along with everyting else. Been kind of crazy, didn't realize just how much I needed to review until I started getting into it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Those subs look mighty similar to the paradigm signature servo subs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts