AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off the bat, I am no audio guru, but I had my heart set on a JL Audio Fathom 13 as posted in previous threads. I went to a local store here and listened to this sub and this is what I noticed.

Being an avid car audio enthusiast I have an entire JL Audio setup in my vehicle with a W7 13" Driver for a subwoofer. I'm 30-something, and have been into car audio since I was 16... Once I had this sub in my vehicle there was no turning back, its loud, it shakes, and in the meantime is sounds really really good.

Now that I have that audio system where I want it, it was time to get into the HT area of my life
... I purchased a CC-690 Center and Studio 100 Fronts so far for my speaker system and knowing what the W7 does in my vehicle I was pretty well set on purchasing the F113 from JL Audio.

ANYWAYS... I went to a local store here in town that has the F113 and demo'd it for quite some time with the people at the store... Movies, music (all types even to the sounds of Insane Clown Posse on some DTS CD they had...)

(This should start some arguments)

I was not impressed at all. I was actually at the stage of wondering how this thing is worth the $4000CAD they are telling me I could pick this up for. It just wasn't what I had expected, not even close.

After totally being disappointed with the way the F113 sounds I asked to hear something that would be comparable....

The store employee pointed me into the direction of the Definitive Technologies SuperCube Trinity... I have never heard of the brand or the sub ever... But once he popped in all the same CD's we listened to on the Fathom 13 I was in love. This is what I was looking for. This sub can be felt in the heart, it just pounds, its deep and it sounded pretty darn good to me. More like what I was looking for.

The price of the Trinity is $500-700 cheaper than the Fathom 13 which looks attractive. Its quite a bit less power, quite a bit taller, and has 3 - 14" drivers I believe.

Anyways... I know this is probably going to set some people off, but in my opinion, the Trinity blows away the Fathom 13, in music, and in movies. If you are into more of the newer music of today and like to feel your entire body shake at the drop of bombs in moves, then the trinity is the sub for you!

Just thought that I would post what I thought about the 2.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just as an FYI, you probably will not get much of a response other than what I am going to tell you. Check out the "official craigsub" thread page 1 number 8, you will find where a blind test ranked both of these subs. From there do a search within the 190 pages of the thread and you should find just ablout all of the info you will need. I believe both rank very high, if Wife approval factor (WAF) is not important, go for the cheaper in my opinion. I have not heard either, just trying to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
30,709 Posts
90% of what you heard in the showroom is setup and room acoustics. Unless, the two were in the same system and equally optimized (extremely doubtful), it is impossible to draw useful conclusions other than that they both work.

In addition, since you say "Once I had this sub in my vehicle there was no turning back, its loud, it shakes, and in the meantime is sounds really really good," it may be that what you are looking for is not the same as what others desire. So, if the DefTech moves you, go for it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Check HERE for a Wealth of Information!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am actually going to tell you something completely different that the previous poster (dsully444). You did exactly the right thing. You went and listened for yourself. Do not rely on the "Craigsub" subwoofer review section as a guide to what you should like. Far too many people use that as a indicator on what to buy. all the listening tests are subjective to his preference. In that review, the JL finished ahead of the Def Tech in overall scoring. You found that you liked the Trinity more than the JL and thats what matters most. I found I preferred the JL more than a Trinity (as well as many othrs) so I went with the JL. I do think that the design of the JL requires more critical placement than the larger Def Tech. Either way, trust YOUR ears and not someone elses!!

·
Registered
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/12875575

Did you know a $600 mwf-15 beats the Trinity? So then trinity is the sub for who!

Are you going with this and cancel your eD sub?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don't overlook that the Trinity was rated at 109 db at 20 Hz and the F113 102 db. and the Trinity was 3 db louder in the 20-63 Hz

average reading. The Trinity probably did sound louder and more powerfull. The F113 is rated higher because of it's sound quality.

Now move up the ladder a little higher and the Castle, PB13-Ultra, or the Conquest might give you both.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadi /forum/post/12876242

Are you going with this and cancel your eD sub?

Not unless somebody gives me the kind of information about a7s that would make such a move reasonable..Right now I'm in the dark about where that sub stands, but I'm gonna keep it if nothing shows up.

·
Registered
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/12877254

Not unless somebody gives me the kind of information about a7s that would make such a move reasonable..Right now I'm in the dark about where that sub stands, but I'm gonna keep it if nothing shows up.

There will be always be better if you keep visiting this forums
If this is your first serious sub I think you will be happy.

I upgraded from Bic H-100 to used SVS PB12-ISD(paid $250). Luckily mine is

just $50 bucks upgrade and I am a happy camper.

Stick with your eD since you waited long enough and by all accounts it should be a good performer.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
The JL f113's stongest point is compactness and true sub performance as well as very high SQ.

The subs that best the Fathom in output are all a good deal larger...and ported.

A sealed sub is easy to integrate(I speak from experience with over 50 subs from sealed,to ported,to ...band pass all besides horn like the Danley Labs ). Plus the JL has ARO(think audio EQ) to help make it blend even better in your room.

Some tests of brute force do not determine soundquality or ease of integration. Some people take one thread as a Bible of ultimate truth.

If you do not mind larger boxes,sure there is the Epik Conquest and biggo eD subs,these as any well designed massive sub using 18" woofers will have a good deal more output.

Per dollar the best value (OUTPUT WISE) is found with VENTED subs,sealed subs like the Fathom are outstanding in music systems and where you want a classy looking compact sub with big performance.

For very large rooms multiples are needed.

The Trinity as was tested by Craig offers more low end output(no wonder dual 14" driver with FOUR PR's versus ONE 13.5 " in the JL it better move more air),for HT may be a better choice,as here fake sound effects and shake factor impress the audience.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb540 /forum/post/12874736

I am actually going to tell you something completely different that the previous poster (dsully444). You did exactly the right thing. You went and listened for yourself. Do not rely on the "Craigsub" subwoofer review section as a guide to what you should like. Far too many people use that as a indicator on what to buy. all the listening tests are subjective to his preference. In that review, the JL finished ahead of the Def Tech in overall scoring. You found that you liked the Trinity more than the JL and thats what matters most. I found I preferred the JL more than a Trinity (as well as many othrs) so I went with the JL. I do think that the design of the JL requires more critical placement than the larger Def Tech. Either way, trust YOUR ears and not someone elses!!

While I agree that, if possible, you should listen to ANY component you are thinking of using (of course, preferably, it should be in your home environs), please feel free to mention that Craig's ranking is NOT indicative of HIS preference -- his comparisons and rankings are done w/ a GROUP of audiophiles and speaker designers under single-blinded conditions.

But I get the feeling you actually know that...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Fathom 13 is nice looking I will give it that.

I don't know if it was the sound room they had it in or what, but it just didn't do much, I could see it moving, but there was no big bass coming from it... I dont know if thats what SQ is about, but being barely able to hear anything coming from it I cant tell if it sounded nice or not.

Thanks for all the comments though... I am new to HT as I said and just wanted to post my comparison of the 2 subs.

What other subs would compete well with the Trinity? I am looking for that boomy kinda bass with as much SQ as possible.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
To be frank -- I am getting from your comments and your car audio background that you may be more a fan of good old-fashioned boominess.

I'd recommend the biggest ported sub you can swing. The JL is absolutely wrong for you.

Consider the Epik Conquest.

My $.02

·
Banned
11,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XST /forum/post/12879193

The Fathom 13 is nice looking I will give it that.

I don't know if it was the sound room they had it in or what, but it just didn't do much, I could see it moving, but there was no big bass coming from it... I dont know if thats what SQ is about, but being barely able to hear anything coming from it I cant tell if it sounded nice or not.

Thanks for all the comments though... I am new to HT as I said and just wanted to post my comparison of the 2 subs.

What other subs would compete well with the Trinity? I am looking for that boomy kinda bass with as much SQ as possible.

Here is a summary (more detailed info is available in the thread) for the Trinity:

Quote:
7. Definitive Technology Trinity

Listening results: The Trinity surprised a few listeners by being much musical than a dual active 14 and quad passive 14 inch drivered sub "should". Its music/movie weakness was above 60 Hz, and this sub is a total performer when used with a 50-60 Hz crossover. For home theater, no sub here delivered a better performance on the machines emerge scene from WOTW, while Steely Dan's 2AN was almost as good as the Elemental Design's delivery.

Measured results ... 20 Hz: 109 dB ... 20-63 Hz average: 115.5 dB

I thought it was pretty clear that the Trinity is a beast, in terms of delivering visceral bass.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub /forum/post/12879349

Here is a summary (more detailed info is available in the thread) for the Trinity:

I thought it was pretty clear that the Trinity is a beast, in terms of delivering visceral bass.

fair enough, Craig.

I think the pricing difference was probably sneaking into my $.02 (probably $.01 of it or so
).

·
Banned
11,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie /forum/post/12879382

fair enough, Craig.

I think the pricing difference was probably sneaking into my $.02 (probably $.01 of it or so
).

I was replying in part to the OP's preference for the Trinity, which has performance that is perfect for some people.

And I was replying in part to kgb540's post that the OP should not use ... hang on, let's be accurate here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb540 /forum/post/0

Do not rely on the "Craigsub" subwoofer review section as a guide to what you should like. Far too many people use that as a indicator on what to buy. all the listening tests are subjective to his preference.

Of course, kgb540 has a track record of posting as he did, while ignoring what actually occurs in the thread. Yes, it is shocking, but it is clear he has an agenda.

He manages to ignore these quotes from the opening page of the thread, from 13 months ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub /forum/post/0

Other people may audition the same 2 subs and come to the opposite conclusion from mine.....

Hopefully, over the next few months, as I get a chance to catalog a few more subs, it will become clear that this is merely an attempt to help people who are looking for a new subwoofer to wade through a lot of info fairly quickly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How would the SVS PB13-Ultra compare to the Trinity?

I like the way this sub looks, the size is nice, and it ranked high on craigsub's list...

Would this be more boomier than the F13, and close to what one would get from the Trinity? As one said above I think I am looking for a more boomy sub, but I do want the SQ there as much as can be.

·
Banned
11,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XST /forum/post/12879561

How would the SVS PB13-Ultra compare to the Trinity?

I like the way this sub looks, the size is nice, and it ranked high on craigsub's list...

Would this be more boomier than the F13, and close to what one would get from the Trinity? As one said above I think I am looking for a more boomy sub, but I do want the SQ there as much as can be.

I don't like the word boomier to describe the difference ... but the Trinity does hit harder, especially in that all important ""slam" area from 30-60 Hz.

I cannot think of a good reason for you not to get the Trinity.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the only real reason would be the price. They want $3450 CAD (which is the same as US right now) for the Trinity. I can order the SVS in Canada w/ taxes etc for $2000 shipped. I am still requiring the 4 di-pole surround speakers for my 7.1 setup, so saving the $1500 would get me the 2nd set.

Is the trinity THAT much better than the PB13-Ultra? I mean the SVS PB13-Ultra is ranked higher on the list you've created?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts