AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JL F113 sub in a dedicated theater. Unlike in the past, when I bought the sub, it is now almost 100% movies/theater. It is a pretty small room (1600 cubic feet). Since size of sub no longer matters (theater now vs living room when I got the sub), I was thinking of selling it and getting something like the SVS PB13 to give me some more output down low. As a point of reference, I usually listen from -15dB below ref to -10dB below reference. I have my sub calibrated at 75dB, the same as my speakers.

What I found out last night after measuring, is I have a ton of room gain from 16hz up to 36hz. So much so, that after using the e.l.f trim (-12 cut at 25hz) and ARO eq (cutting more of the deep bass), from 16hz to 36 hz, my freq response is still 8dB higher than from 40hz up to 100hz.

When I look at testing such as Ilka's sub tests, it shows that from 40hz up, the F113 actually outputs as much or more than the SVS. I am thinking with all of the room gain below that, the advantage of the SVS will be completely lost on my setup.

Am I correct in saying that I wouldn't really see any improvement by going with a more powerful sub in my room?

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's really hard to say, different subs in same room will produce completely different results. You didn't state what you used to measure your room response but I use REW and a calibrated mic,...place the sub where you sit and take response plots at different mic positions where you would place the sub along the room walls. Choose the best plot that follows the ideal curve without your mains, and run ARO and use the trim if necessary. Once you have the sub setup add the mains and use phase and/or distance to blend them smoothly together.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I aggreee with clubfoot it is hard to tell with out trying. The 113 though is one heck of a sub and perfert for HT. Things would get a little muddyer with a some other subs the 113 is so fast.

Also you may want ot consider how these complment your mains and other speakers. you may be traiding lower base for less clarity in the room of the sub makes up part of the lows on the other speakers. I am actually thinking of adding buttkickers for fun and better low base feeling. I have 2 113 and they do it but late at night when I don't want to crank it or just to add to the experance. I also am in a dead room with a concreat floor.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I think in that size room the F113 is more then capable.

I am not sure what you would gain with a PB13.

As you said it goes deep. You have the SPL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts