Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it seems that way ;)

I installed a new lamp yesterday. What with HD football season in high gear, I figured I needed a backup lamp, and it seems they are always back ordered when you need them.

OH MY GOD. What a difference it made. I guess as my previous lamped dimmed over the hours, I just adjusted to the growing lack of brightness. I guess I'd forgotton what makes the PLV-70 so special in the first place:

ITS BRIGHTNESS!

Ambient light? SO WHAT! Even with light coming in from a window (north facing, under a deck) the picture has SNAP. Let me tell you - it's great to watch football in HD on an 8' screen and have enough light in the room to interact with others. JHouse knows what I'm talking about. :D

So, looks like I won't be upgrading anytime soon. I need every one of those 2200 lumens.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
In calibrated mode what ANSI lumens is plv-70 capable of? 2200 ANSI lumen is the specification.

·
Registered
307 Posts
How many hours on the bulb J.Mike? I bought a new lamp last week but haven't put it in yet. I have about 1200 hours on the original lamp and I suspect it may be dimming, although not significantly. Still looks great IMO - especially HD. Too bad there's not NHL to watch. :(

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mattias,

I'm not able to accurately determine what the calibrated ANSI lumens is. I'm sure it's down, but not by much, and certainly higher than any other home front projector currently available.

I'll be the first one to admit that the PLV-70 is incapable of throwing an 'accurate' picture - well, accurate by AVS standards ;) Nevertheless, I enjoy a bright picture with georgous saturated colors, excellent resolution and sharpness, hardly enough screendoor or FPN to notice, and punchy contrast.

Keep in mind it's been on the market for 3-4 years and is unchanged - and still selling. It's becoming the G90 of LCD projectors!

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
How's the color uniformity and vertical banding/streaking on the PLV after x000 hours?

An upgraded version may be a nice match for a Sony black screen.

One plus for 1 chip DLP - color uniformity and convergence perfection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.