AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: I'm close to getting these Cobalt 816's...I think I'm getting a really good deal (~$1,400 through December) although I see the Cobalt S is coming in March for about a 15% premium. Any Thoughts?

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
80 Posts
Those are very good speakers and you are getting a great deal on them. They retail for $1695.00. The new Cobalt Signatures are coming out in a few months, but they aren't a replacement for the current Cobalts rather a kind of go between from the Cobalt's to the Electra's. The only differences between the current Cobalt and the Cobalt S is going to be a new tweeter (actually the same Tioxoid tweeter that is in the Electra's) and they will be using a better wood material for the Cabinet along with adding the Signature Red Wood color. Will they sound better than the current Cobalt's? Sure they will, but to me for the price the current Cobalts are excellent speakers and at the price you've been offered, I'd jump on it.

Good Luck

Brandon

·
Registered
53 Posts
Gary,

As an happy owner of the Cobalt 826 may I suggest that you check out the 826 over the 816's, if the $$ difference isn't too great, as you will get a true 3 way speaker with an additional 6 1/2 " driver with a more advanced crossover network. My .02

Alan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input...The "deal" price is $1,395 and only

good through December 23. AudioPlusServices (North America

distributor) only had 12 of the "Style" color left so I went

ahead and ordered. I (and wife) much prefer the lighter color

of the Style. I did hear that March 1 is when the Cobalt S is

supposed to be available and supposedly at the same price as

the Colbalt...They say $1,799 is normal price. If I decide to

"upgrade" later, shouldn't be a problem given my good deal.

Also, I already have lots of powered Sub (2 separate dual-12")

so low-end bass isn't as big a concern. I believe the 826's would

have been ~$2,400 so an additional $1000 for the 826 :-(

thanks again,

GaryWM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.