AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to buy it online?

I keep seeing a "full screen" version and a "pal" version.

Is this the website error, or what?

I would think (or know) that I want the WIDESCREEN 16X9 NTSC version...

Does it say "full screen" but really is anamorphic 16X9?

Someone expain this all to me please:) So I can buy it

·
Registered
80 Posts
As far as I know, there is only one DVD version of DVE. I bought mine from Amazon, got it for ~$15 using a Share the Love discount. Their normal price is ~$17 and free shipping if you spend more than $25. Use www.dvdpricesearch.com to check other places that have it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Greetings,

Amazon.com is probably one of the best places to pick this up at the moment. I purchased my copies from there. There is not a 4x3 or 1.33:1 version of Digital Video Essentials, it was entirely mastered in the 1.78:1 fomrat; however, there are several test patterns for setting up geometry on a 1.33:1 display.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I just played with my copy last night and couldn't get to all of the test patterns. How do I navigate this thing? Where are the advanced video test patterns? How do I set contrast on an LCD projection? I could only see the contrast settings for the CRT types.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

Been a lurker here for a while now and I appreciate all the insight and knowledge I've received from reading through the forums.

Anyway...ordered mine from Overstock with the $5 off for first customers coupon. It arrived today!

Now I just need to go out and get a TV to use it on! I've been trying to decide on either the Hit 51F500 or the Mits 48413! Iknow, I know...I've read them all, and still I can't seem to make a decision!

Now back to my 10yr old Sammy 27"!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Greetings,

Avia is a great test disc. Digital Video Essentials has shallow ramps that allow for a more accurate setting of the contrast and brightness control on digital devices. These ramps are better at showing where the projector's circuitry clips the signal. The best advice I can give you is to go through the test patterns, ask any questions you may have regarding them and decide for yourself which one is better.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackCow
Now I just need to go out and get a TV to use it on! I've been trying to decide on either the Hit 51F500 or the Mits 48413!
I'm not sure why MikeF won't even concede on this no-brainer. The Mits 48413 is in a different [higher] category than the 51F500. Mits 313 is comparable to the F500, and the 413 comparable to the S500.

If MikeF doesn't agree...he has lost his damn mind.

48413 vs. 51S500...now that's a fair comparison with no clearcut answer.

·
Registered
423 Posts
As far as the DVE video calibration goes, it is a step backwards. There are less grayscale windows and the percentage numbers do not match the IRE numbers from previous VE or AVIA for luminance. The color decoder test pattern is better than previous, but not as good as the Sencore VP-400 series (all in one)or AVIA patterns. There is no Y/C delay correction on DVE that I have found. Let's say I am dissapointed. I hear there is a calibrator edition coming and I hope it is better than this one.

The overscan pattern on DVE better for fine tuning sharpness, but the size is wrong again.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
I'm not sure why MikeF won't even concede on this no-brainer. The Mits 48413 is in a different [higher] category than the 51F500. Mits 313 is comparable to the F500, and the 413 comparable to the S500.

If MikeF doesn't agree...he has lost his damn mind.

48413 vs. 51S500...now that's a fair comparison with no clearcut answer.
Marc--

I said:

"Go for a 51S500 if you can... you can get it under $2000 all day long..."

I have not lost my mind- just have a well known Hitachi brand preference:D

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

DVE is a fine consumer level calibration disc. The professional version is coming eventually. And of course at a professional level price as well.

Think $300 or more ... similar to the AVIA pro discs.

Regards

·
Registered
605 Posts
Michael,

Joe Kane Productions is expecting a 5 disc set as the professional version at a price of $125 retail. This has always been the goal, I can't imagine it would be too much more than that - we will just have to wait and see.

Gambrelw,

Percent amplitude and IRE are not exactly used the same way. Both Video Essentials and Digital Video Essentials have been checked over and over and even over again to insure accuracy. The reason Joe Kane Productions decided to use percent amplitude to label the grayscale patterns is because the IRE system does not exist in component video. The IRE system was developed and applied to the composite and S-Video systems. Video Essentials was originally made for laserdisc and then taken from the master and made for DVD.

You mentioned the Overscan Pattern being incorrect in size. How did you measure this?

Thank you,

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackCow
Anyway...ordered mine from Overstock with the $5 off for first customers coupon
I just went and bought one, based completely on this post.

I was thinking I got a deal by getting the disc for $12,

but then after the fact I see that if you pay $24 by buying it

directly from the manufacturer you get to choose a second DVD

for free. So basically you're getting two discs at $12 bucks a piece.

Granted, your list of choices for the free disc probably has a pretty

limited appeal, but it happens to be right up my ally, so now I'm

kickin' myself.

There may be a few others like me who may be content to pay the $24

and get some other cool footage that was deemed cool enough by

Joe Kane to be included on his site.

Just a heads up.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by David Abrams

Percent amplitude and IRE are not exactly used the same way. Both Video Essentials and Digital Video Essentials have been checked over and over and even over again to insure accuracy. The reason Joe Kane Productions decided to use percent amplitude to label the grayscale patterns is because the IRE system does not exist in component video. The IRE system was developed and applied to the composite and S-Video systems. Video Essentials was originally made for laserdisc and then taken from the master and made for DVD.
Informative- Thank you:)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.