AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I hope the 12 to 13 episodes will be in HDTV also. It is my opinion that they have elevated TV mini series to a new level. HBO Originals in HDTV truly stand up against any first run movies these days.

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
Wonder if this project will be based on the David McCullough best seller, "John Adams", Simon & Schuster? Just ordered this book, along with "Founding Brothers - The Revolutionary Generation" by Joseph J. Ellis.

Thanks for the information. Hope they do this in high definition. HBO originals in mini-series form offer a great alternative to theatrical releases. I'm very much looking forward to this project.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I read the McCullough book some time ago after seeing some favorable reviews. It would be quite difficult to make a screenplay from this book since the bulk of it is based on correspondence between John Adams and his Wife. Though the book is a fascinating read and tells a good story, it doesn't read quite like a narrative and is more of an historical account (albeit a well written one).

The book does give you a great insight into some of the relationships between the founding fathers that will very likely end up in any dramatic account. It will hopefully also show some of the differences in moral fortitude between the persons that put together the government.

Most interesting I think though will be to see how Franklin and Jefferson are portrayed. Especially when contrasted with John Adams, they seem to lack many of the qualities that made Adams a great if not as celebrated.

Even if the book turns out not to be the sole basis for the movie, its highly recommended.

--Karl

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and I am going to get this book also. In light of the more frequent debate over what our founding fathers' intent, and their belief systems, I decided to read more related materials, even if it may take away some of my TV time, which is scarce at best.

However difficult it may be to make a mini series out of this book, having Tom Hanks and HBO on this project makes it more worthwhile.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My hope is that HBO comes out with something good to fill up Sunday night. I used to watch The Practice religiously on sunday nights. Since Sopranos, 6 Feet Under and B.O.B have been showing in the Sunday night slot I have yet to see a new epsiode of The Practice this season.

I was telling a friend today that I was sad that B.O.B. was over. Not only was it a great mini-series it was a nice to have something exciting to watch on Sunday night.

I think I will have to check the book out that you are speaking of. I do not know our history at all. It would be nice to take the time and learn a little something.

DWhite

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.