AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I can't tell you what it was like for me to see "The Breakfast Club" when I was 15. It seems kind of silly now, but at the time I really thought I saw myself on the screen. Except of course they had better dialogue, which made me love it even more.

I used to anticipate Hughes' movies like geeks anticipating Star Wars sequels. I bet I listened to the "Pretty in Pink" soundtrack on cassette more than any other other recording in my lifetime. I was in love with Molly Ringwald, and kept the Life magazine with her on the cover for years. And don't even get me started on Ferris Beuller, who replaced Ducky Dale as my idol. I don't think it's a coincidence that I've lived just about all my adult life in Chicago. All of this because of John Hughes. This one hurts.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp8192 /forum/post/16957592

This one hurts.

I haven't been this upset over a "celebrity" death since Paul Newman.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This man WAS the 80's! He defined the culture of an entire decade with movies that are certainly in just about every home in America. He was a man that made movies with a focus on family and all the real problems and joys that go with them. He was a man that spoke to and shaped the teens of the 80's. He will be sorely missed.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Wow, this does sting. Rest in Peace, and thanks for the great stories you told me in my younger years...

·
Registered
7,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper /forum/post/16956679

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000455/

This man was a LEGEND. He INVENTED the teen movie!

Wrote and/or directed films such as 16 Candles, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Buellers Day Off, Some Kind of Wonderful, and Home Alone.

A part of my youth died today.

RIP John Hughes

And the amazing movie that may have started it all, "The Breakfast Club".

·
Registered
13,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp8192 /forum/post/16957592

I can't tell you what it was like for me to see "The Breakfast Club" when I was 15. It seems kind of silly now, but at the time I really thought I saw myself on the screen. Except of course they had better dialogue, which made me love it even more.

I used to anticipate Hughes' movies like geeks anticipating Star Wars sequels. I bet I listened to the "Pretty in Pink" soundtrack on cassette more than any other other recording in my lifetime. I was in love with Molly Ringwald, and kept the Life magazine with her on the cover for years. And don't even get me started on Ferris Beuller, who replaced Ducky Dale as my idol. I don't think it's a coincidence that I've lived just about all my adult life in Chicago. All of this because of John Hughes. This one hurts.

John Bender has been an idol of mine forever. I wait for the opportunity to insert "It'll be anarchy" in any conversation I can, same for the mantra that "anything more than a handful is wasted". SO many quotes. I know I'll use them until i go even if the others don't get the joke.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/16986588

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1331095/

Was completed before his death so it's not a cheap gimmick or anything.. I have a feeling it's going to be infinitely more popular now of course.

Wow, lots of great names in that cast! Could turn out to be a fun movie.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.