AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isnt the proper place to post about the passing of an actor, but I felt like I had to write about the passing of John Ritter. I don't usually feel sentimental about things like this, but when I heard the news this morning, I felt extremely saddened. I really grew up with him on Three's Company. I have watched countless reruns and still laugh at the same jokes over and over again. It's real weird when you think about losing someone you never really knew personally, and the loss being felt. Perhaps it was his good guy image that brought many people to enjoy his humor. I don't really know. All I know is that he will be missed by me. RIP Mr. Ritter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I too felt the same way. He really did have an impact on comedy as we know it today. It was shocking to hear of his passing and I think there are a lot of us who feel, is some strange way, that he was someone we knew. Maybe it's the fact that he was still young and this happened suddenly.

"Work with me Chrissy!"-Jack Tripper

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Whether you liked him or not (I happened to), one has to admit that this isn't a way to go. People always say that it is best when sudden and painless, but there's something to be said for a chance to get one's life in order, say farewell and prepare for what lies ahead. Extra tough on the family and friends without time to adjust and brace for the shock.

Note: Please don't contact his relatives, I believe his PDP has already been spoken for.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
So my dad died pretty suddenly from heart failure a couple years ago. He had heart disease, but his most recent "repair work" was not too far before his death and we all thought he'd have at least 5 more years, perhaps longer.

It didn't work out that way.

Two and a half years later, I'm still feeling the loss, wishing there was more time, clearer closure, etc.

We make too big a deal about celebrity deaths, but part of that is because death is so shocking and final. I never liked Three's Company (though I watched) because every episode had exactly the same plot....

I recently saw some dramatized movie about the show, however, and gained some strange appreciation for those goofy folk. And although I could not get through 8 Simple Rules, I somehow feel the loss because of the way in which it happened.

The businessman in me says, "What does ABC do now?" The human being says, "My sincere condolences to the family and friends. The shock will pass, but never the memories. Bless you all."

Mark

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
John Ritter was a throw back type of actor, I too grew up watching Three's Company. He would fall down all the time or always be bumping into the door. It wasn't the greatest show on Television the plot was always the same but the show was on for years, Susan Summers

(Christmas Snow) the Ropers and who can forget Don knots. I found

out today that he did a voice for a Children's cartoon on CH 13 WNET

It is hard to be sentimental for someone I have never met but he was

a funny man and much to young for him or anyone to pass that way.

·
Registered
116 Posts
He had star power. No question. He was "Three's Company" -- a show which still re-runs nightly on cable.

While he was one of the greatest physical comedians he could do dramatic roles well also. Witness Slingblade.

And he entertained our kids as the voice of Clifford, the Big Red Dog.

I hadn't watched his new ABC series "8 Simple Rules...". But if ABC decides to aire the recently completed first 3 episodes of this season, I will watch them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I too would like to say that John Ritter will be missed. He was a really funny guy. His physical humor kind of reminds me of Dick Van ****. Best of all, they say he was a nice man OFF SCREEN as well. A very kind and giving individual. He will be missed and always remembered by me.

-Mike

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tenchi211
I too would like to say that John Ritter will be missed. He was a really funny guy. His physical humor kind of reminds me of Dick Van ****. Best of all, they say he was a nice man OFF SCREEN as well. A very kind and giving individual. He will be missed and always remembered by me.

-Mike
Yep, I saw where he always rememebered everyone's name he had ever come in contact with and always asked about their family, children ect. We could all learn from John Ritters life and philosphy of how he lived his life everyday.

I too saw the documentary about the behind the scenes of 3's company and it was impressive. I was shocked at his passing and it is just a reminder that life can be short--don't sweat the small stuff and live it to the fullest.

ps) trout hug to all..:)

·
Registered
891 Posts
I hope thats a remote in his pocket!;)

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I too, one year ago this coming October 26th, had the exact same ailment as John Ritter. It's amazing how quickly it occurs and yes, all the doctors say it is undetectable. However, I'm going to have to yell at my doctors, they told me I had a 50% chance of surviving the operation where as I've been reading that it is actually 20%.

As I lay on the table with NO pulse going to my left leg 'cause the blood that normally flows there was not due to the aortic tear it's amazing how calm one can be with death a possible few moments away. I was operated on 3 hours after the onset and am able to type about it a year later.

Guess I was one of the lucky ones!

And that's why I just bought my Plasma, you can't take it with you.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by e143slime8
I too, one year ago this coming October 26th, had the exact same ailment as John Ritter. It's amazing how quickly it occurs and yes, all the doctors say it is undetectable. However, I'm going to have to yell at my doctors, they told me I had a 50% chance of surviving the operation where as I've been reading that it is actually 20%.

Actual percentage is probably not important when your other choice was being 100% dead, eh?

Sounds like instead of yelling at them, you should be buying them a steak.

elvis

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.