AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
e_vey

Thanks for the heads up, what makes you think it is my plug-in?

Are there obvious similities? Am I credited? Is it shipped with a copy of the GPL?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Just checked.

The dll actually says (c) John Adcock

original name deinterlace.ax

So it is mine alright.

I'll work on how to go about this.

This is a clear copyright violation.

Anyone got any bright ideas.

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Steve

I agree they could be very useful. But normally they only act if they are the copyright holders. In this case I think we would need to have Hauppauge refuse to change anything before they got involved.

So I'm clear that as copyright holders the first move is ours. But I'm not sure which way to go.

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Steve

As some of the code is yours could you review and give your opinion on the options outlined in my mail to the developer list.

John

·
Banned
1,007 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
hmcgrath

Thanks for th links.

Since the Dscaler code is GPL hings are slightly differnt from normal copyright. Basically THe code it copyrighted to me but they can ship it as long as they comply with the conditions set out in the GPL. The agrument is over can they meet the conditions and continue to ship the product, most likely they can't.

John

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I realize the GPL issue now. Check out that nVidia story if you haven't seen it. Looks very pertinent to your situation. There are user comments afterwards as well.

edit: boy these IR keyboards are tough sometimes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Eeee.... Since original DScaler code is GPL'ed, does this mean we can release deinterlace.ax under LGPL provided it contains portions of code from DScaler? I see the situation is that we had a DTV project, then we have branched some code from DTV tree to Deinterlace tree, so that Deinterlace _relies_ on DTV code which is GPL'ed. Does GPL permit us to change the license to LGPL? AFAIK, changing from LGPL to GPL is possible, but vice versa is complicated.

Peter

·
Registered
385 Posts
Wow that's so not cool.

Doesn't the GPL stipulate that Hauppage, in this case, would have to offer up the rest of the software that uses that GPL filter under the GPL (and therefore release the source to their software)?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Peter

If you acn get all the copyright holders to agree then you can change the licence to whatever you like. In this case there are a limited number of holders and we can hopefully find a solution.

I'd rather not go to the LGPL for the newer plug-ins as that is a serious amount of intelectual property and giving it away without requireing the source for apps built round it sounds like giving too much away for free to me.

Taylor

Yes that is the case, but in normally doesn't get to that.

John

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't mean to kick over a beehive.

I thought (hoped?) that Hauppauge had done this the correct way and gotten permission.

I am not even sure that their app is even using the filter, only that they are distributing it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if they are using it, would this not be the first implementation of the filter? Or perhaps the Dscaler developer gang has a program that uses it in some limited fashion.

I guess, as an end user, I hate seeing good code go to waste although it happens all the time.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I've already commented on the list but I don't really have any problems with LGPL if the other developers didn't mind.

Or even the newer versions that have more exclusions from liability if the thing catches fire or something.

- Tom

·
Registered
901 Posts
John,

I agree it's definitely not cricket for Hauppauge to go distributing your code without all the necessary agreements, but before you consider sending the dogs in, what would you have to gain.

1. Cash, cash is always nice, but would Hauppauge pay you for this or just remove it and call it an error.

2. Notoriety, nice to be famous, but unforeseen benefits/problems could exist i.e. does it do you any good?

3. Quid pro Quo, Maybe the best result other than cash would be some recognition and access to some of their development material.

I am sure there are plenty more.

In any event it's nice to see someone recognize the quality of your work.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
One solution is for Hauppauge to not ship/package the GLP software with their system, but provide instructions for where to find the necessary GPL software. The deinterlace feature of WinTV2000 just wouldn't be active until the proper deinterlacer plugin was installed.

The problem with this is that it exposes the end consumer to the complexities of software and maybe will make them reconsider their purchase. Imagine buying a car and needing to download some GPL software in order to get the wipers to work.

To build on Simon's post. It would be cool if Hauppauge would release more info on the WinTV-HD so that maybe an open source development project could start doing some work with HD cards. Since Hauppauge has seen the quality of work that can be generated by the open source community, maybe this event can be used to persuade them to open up a little. more. However, I doubt that Teralogic's license agreement would allow them to release any info though :(

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Hmm... This isn't at all cool and is at best sloppy of Hauppauge. Has anybody loaded the filter onto graphedt and seen which algorithm it is? Is it John's original algorithm, or is it one of the more recent algorithms? What is the timestamp? Any clues?

Has anybody done a hex search for "John Adcock" in the actual codebase of WinTV? Has GPL'ed code got into WinTV completely?

Simon: you're right to point out that this needn't be adversarial. However, I have contacted Hauppauge several times in the past for information regarding the WinTV-D for implementation into DScaler (specifically, the controlling code for the logic chip they use). No response.

If they want it to go both ways, it's got to go both ways.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I put it into Graphedit. I don't know if they modified it or not since I don't have the original to compare it to. What I saw were options for Bob, Weave, One field and two fields.

This is from memory since I am not at that PC right now.

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
It seems to me that because Haup. has been a good friend on this forum, and if you want to keep them as such, then it would seem to make sense to proceed very carefully and with a friendly attitude.

JackB

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.