AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Johnny Depp's 'The Lone Ranger' Shut Down By Disney

Quote:
Disney has shut down production of 'The Lone Ranger,' its ambitious retelling of the classic western that was to star Johnny Depp.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the abrupt move to kill a project that was set to begin shooting in the fall comes amid clashes with producer Jerry Bruckheimer over the budget for the tentpole, which was scheduled to be released in December 2012. A Disney spokesman did not return calls.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...er-shut-222777

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Wow, surprising. Bruckheimer just tweeted this week that there would be some (positive) news coming soon. This had been in development for years now.. had Armie Hammer, Barry Pepper, Helena Bonham Carter, and Tom Wilkinson attached with Gore Verbinski directing.

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Looks like it's because Gore turned in a $250 million budget...

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/shoc...s-lone-ranger/

I've heard the filmmakers were trying to reduce the film's cost from $250 million (some even say $275 million) down to $232 million. But it wasn't the $200 million that Disney wanted to spend. And between Depp, Bruckheimer, and Verbinski, the gross outlay on the film is substantial.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I may be in minority here, but the words "Johnny Depp" and "The Lone Ranger" together make me cringe.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Tanto had the lead part too. This film was going to be a farce. There is no need for such 'star power' in front of or behind the camera of a Lone Ranger film. Disney would not earn dime 1 until the film had cleared 600 million at the box office and that is just stupid.

·
Registered
765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/20819915

Tanto had the lead part too. This film was going to be a farce. There is no need for such 'star power' in front of or behind the camera of a Lone Ranger film. Disney would not earn dime 1 until the film had cleared 600 million at the box office and that is just stupid.

That's odd- now it almost sounds interesting, lol!

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I guess he was wanting to get away from his typical eye liner based character roles and replace it with, well, a black eye mask. Hmmm.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/20820011

I guess he was wanting to get away from his typical eye liner based character roles and replace it with, well, a black eye mask. Hmmm.

Armie Hammer was going to be the LR. Depp = Tonto, probably with eyeliner. Which would have been a slightly different version of Capt. Jack Sparrow.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple /forum/post/0

Armie Hammer was going to be the LR. Depp = Tonto, probably with eyeliner. Which would have been a slightly different version of Capt. Jack Sparrow.

Yeah. Keep the eyeliner, add feathers, shake, stir, repeat.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
250m?

The Lone Ranger?

I can't imagine how they could hope to make a profit.

Only old guys (like me) remember the Lone Ranger.

The kids could care freakin' less...

Disney is absolutely right here.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
To be clear: Disney hasn't "shut down" the project. It's halted.

"Still, the studio says it’s not giving up on the Lone Ranger. “It’s not dead and gone,” one Disney exec tells EW. “It’s a priority project for the studio. We want to make this movie.”

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/08/1...p-lone-ranger/

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/20822360

Between this and John Carter, Disney will potentially be spending over $500 million on two films. Two films based on material that I'd wager not many people really care all that much about.

At least John Carter is science fiction and is based on a book series that can be exploited by Disney if the first movie shows promise.

Westerns do not do well at the BO historically.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S /forum/post/20822700

why are these films costing $200m+?

can't depp cut his salary down? i'm sure he's getting $30m per movie these days..

What does that have to do with it?

·
Registered
765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S /forum/post/20822700

why are these films costing $200m+?

can't depp cut his salary down? i'm sure he's getting $30m per movie these days..

Eye liner and silly hats don't grow on trees, bro.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.