AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After all the help I got from you guys, it is time to get into it! Here is the models for the build, components will be listed a bit later.

Heading to Home Depot and component store later today!

Any comments are welcome :rolleyes::)

Added the corrected cut list.

Here is a 3D drawing of the finish product.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Went out today to buy the RSS460HO-4 and the Behringer iNuke 6000DSP. Good news, the store owner was in a good mood and gave me 20% OFF the iNuke, way to start a build on the right foot:D

My only complain so far is that the amp is too loud for me. Even with the door shut, I can still hear a little vibration, kind of a central vacuum whine, less loud but still... I might go for a fan swap!

Here is a couple pictures of day, tomorrow heading to Home Depot to get the MDF panels :roll eyes:

UPDATE: Just ordered a pair of Noctua cooling fan to tame the noise :)

Attachments

Reactions: kaiforce and dtsdig

·
Registered
228 Posts
Looks good. The only thing I would suggest is laying the cuts on the mdf panels a little differently so you'll have less and easier cuts. For example, two panels that have one dimension that is 24" can be place on top of each other. Then you can make one 24" cut down the the short side of the panel, then make two more cut for the other dimension to get a 24xA and 24xB. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here is a sketch with the braces. Is it ecnough? Or too much? Please let me know what you think :)

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Bracing looks good. I'm time limited, so when I start building my Johnny sub in the next week or two, I plan to cut a big 18" circle out in the middle of the center brace, then cut strips about 2" wide to brace the sides, front, and the top panels to the center brace.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bracing looks good. I'm time limited, so when I start building my Johnny sub in the next week or two, I plan to cut a big 18" circle out in the middle of the center brace, then cut strips about 2" wide to brace the sides, front, and the top panels to the center brace.
That's a good idea!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The build has officially begun :) Thanks to the best neighbour in the world, Dave, who do some woodwork for me just for the fun of it (and a couple free Miller Lights) ;)

Can't wait to power up that baby!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, that guy has a crazy workshop!
Good progress!
Man, he even rounded over the edges on the brace pieces... probably just wanted to show off the router table! ;)

Looking good so far!
Thanks guys! Indeed, Dave has quite the work shop and the is only half of it, plus his garage! He has all known tools I believe! Such a great guy, very generous!

Progress has been made today. Only hiccup is that my driver cutout is too small, I will have to slightly enlgare it tomorrow with a router. :(

Getting ready to fire up that baby tomorrow night with my brother-in-law who is coming from Ottawa. I told him that it should just be a bit louder than his SVS PB-1000 :p

If I'm satisfied, I'm starting the 2nd build right after this one!

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Acoustically, zero.

On the other hand, I've bled on sharp MDF edges before. If you're waiting to install or adjust stuffing, lining, and/or internal wiring through the woofer cutout after the box is complete, rounding the braces sure can save your knuckles.

I may or may not be clumsier than the average person, so YMMV. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looks good! Any reason for no round over on the outside of the box? I feel like it gives the box a really clean look, much better than those sharp square edges. That's just me though maybe!
Great build.

I'll keep an eye on your thread as I'm really curious to get your opinion on your new build vs your old HSU.

I'm also eager to know what you think of the fan noise from the iNuke 6K. I've read conflicting report on this, some poster claiming the stock can be ok on the 6K but other claiming you can hear it from 25ft away.

Also read about someone who experienced overheat with Noctua fan swap.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks good! Any reason for no round over on the outside of the box? I feel like it gives the box a really clean look, much better than those sharp square edges. That's just me though maybe!
Since this unit is a "prototype" me never did build a sub before, I didn't want to go crazy with the finishing. If I really like it, I'll probably router the edges and send it in for professional satin laquer finish.

Great build.

I'll keep an eye on your thread as I'm really curious to get your opinion on your new build vs your old HSU.

I'm also eager to know what you think of the fan noise from the iNuke 6K. I've read conflicting report on this, some poster claiming the stock can be ok on the 6K but other claiming you can hear it from 25ft away.

Also read about someone who experienced overheat with Noctua fan swap.
Will let you know! As for the iNuke, it is in deed very loud. I ordered 2 Noctua fans, which should come in today and will swap the OEM fans ASAP. I can hear it even if my rack is in another room with the door shut and the SPL meter doesn't lie, the noise floor is higher be 1-2dB.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the brother-in-law (in pictures) showed up to finish the build and obviously listen to that baby. It was a kind of eclectic night running after gear and stuff. We finally hooked it up but barely had time to listen since all the in-laws were in the house.

The first thing I notice is how LOUD this thing can play. Probably can burry the HSU without even knowing they are in the same room.

I really need to take time to tweak it, take measurements, choose a perfect spot. Many hours of "fun" tuning ahead (and many headache)!!

I wish it had more punch, but that's most likely more due to positioning than the sub itself. I tried to place the HSU up front on the left side (as seen on the picture) but it I end up with a big cancellation around 60Hz... It worries me because I was planning a second build and that's exactly where it would go :confused:

Anyhow, time will tell! Do you guys have any advice on iNuke tweaking? I have my HPF set on the SMS-1 at 18Hz 6dB/octave. Inuke level is at 11 o'clock and receiver level at 0dB. I wish I had my Denon AVR-X4100 with XT32 but it's been in service for the past 3 weeks and the tech told me to expect 2 more weeks to get the parts. Last Denon ever. Now using my old Yamaha RX-V1600 and manual setup.

Attachments

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had my heart set on building the Johnny Sub, had the cutsheet drawn up and everything. Was planning on starting cutting this weekend, but after seeing your last picture, I'm second guessing myself now due to size. Might have to go with something in between the Johnny and the Martycube.

Great job on your build!!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts