AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

After much testing with mkv, m2ts, ts and VIDEO_TS I have decided on VIDEO_TS. I will think about BluRays later on!

One question that comes to mind is what to do with films split across multiple sides of 1 disk or multiple disks. I don't want seperate folders for Godfather Part II Disc 1 and Godfather Part II Disc 2 etc!

Any ideas?

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Is it seamless and does it sort out chapter numbers and running times?

Oh how are the menus and chapters handled? I want to join them in such a way so it's as if it was a 1 disc film.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Arrrggghh!

This really all is a waste of space! MKVs can join nicely but it's too much hassle re subtitles and adjusting time codes. VIDEO_TS can't combine 2 disc films properly but does everything else OK.

I don't know what to do now. May just give up as there is not a true solution. I'm surprised i'm the only one who thinks this is a show stopper. It's like having the 2nd disc's video bolted onto the 1st discs entire structure!

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/18129636

Joined DVDs play just fine, and chapters work too, so I'm not really sure what the big problem is.

You're previous statement didn't say that though. Well that's not how I read it.

When I join 2 VIDEO_TS folders, I want the scene selection menu to have the chapters from both discs (or sides), as well as timecodes to be as if it was one disc.

· Registered
882 Posts
I use DVD Remake to do this... link

Using DVD Remake, you can combine the two parts so it seems like one long, seamless movie instead of watching 2 movies back to back. That is, run-time will be correct, chapters will work back and forth between the 2 parts, etc. You can also do some simple editing to get rid of any intermission screens at the end of the first part. The process is a little more involved then using DVD Shrink though (plus, it's not a free program).

This is assuming you rip out just the main movies and don't care about menus, etc. I don't know how to do this and keep the menus without it being part 2 bolted onto part 1 (and thus having menus for each part instead of a single set of menus for one, really long movie).

· Registered
23,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldoodle /forum/post/18133646

You're previous statement didn't say that though. Well that's not how I read it.

Sorry for the confusion, if you merge two DVDs with DVD Shrink, they will play as a single move, back to back, you can skip chapters. However they are in fact two titles that are linked back to back so the timeline will reset half way through.

Quote:
When I join 2 VIDEO_TS folders, I want the scene selection menu to have the chapters from both discs (or sides),

There is absolutely no way to do that, you would have to build your own menus for that, there's no way to automatically merge the two sets of menus. So unless you're very good with Scenarist or similar you're SOL getting a nice merged menu.

Quote:
...as well as timecodes to be as if it was one disc.

Sounds like DVD Remake will merge them into one title though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.