AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
First of all I am no builder so not claiming to be right. Just someone working on a basement in Denver area as well. It’s hard to tell in the pictures but it looks like your drywall is pretty close to the floor. I was told I needed to leave it 1 1/2 inches off minimum. If you didn’t just wondering your thoughts. I thought you had mentioned earlier in your thread not taking it all the way down to normal lengths because of foundation settlement issues in Co.

I am in Idaho and the drywall in this area has always been to the floor. Not necessary since the baseboard will cover the gaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
First of all I am no builder so not claiming to be right. Just someone working on a basement in Denver area as well. It’️s hard to tell in the pictures but it looks like your drywall is pretty close to the floor. I was told I needed to leave it 1 1/2 inches off minimum. If you didn’️t just wondering your thoughts. I thought you had mentioned earlier in your thread not taking it all the way down to normal lengths because of foundation settlement issues in Co.

I am in Idaho and the drywall in this area has always been to the floor. Not necessary since the baseboard will cover the gaps.

Whoops! I’m sorry man. I was confusing you with another Denver build. Dumbass moment.
My bad... wow that’s bad 😂

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
I think he's meaning along the floor between the concrete and the drywall

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

That would be a lot of silicone to seal the bottoms. Is there certain silicone that is think that is recommended for that?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Got the ceiling and rest of the room all painted black- limousine leather is the name of it. Also got the light covers on as well. I decided to paint the entire room black to help with bleed through on the fabric.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Holy crap - slow the f*$% down for just one day why don't you?!?!

That's a beautiful paint finish. Who makes the color?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Holy crap - slow the f*$% down for just one day why don't you?!?!

That's a beautiful paint finish. Who makes the color?

Lol, I actually stayed up until 1 this morning painting and then slept in. The only thing I actually did today was added the light covers. I spent the rest of the day with the family and now I am just hanging out watching a movie trying to make a list of my next to do’s and what I need to order.

·
Registered
230 Posts
... now I am just hanging out watching a movie trying to make a list of my next to do’s and what I need to order.
Still working while watching a movie, you're an animal. And, that black looks good- nice work.

Aaron

·
Registered
267 Posts
That would be a lot of silicone to seal the bottoms. Is there certain silicone that is think that is recommended for that?

Typically people will use Green Glue Acoustic Caulk. Pros are that it's been tested to be effective at blocking sound and it comes in big tubes. Cons are that it's not readily available. I have used a lot of "Big Stretch" caulk from Lowe's on my theater. I have found it very similar to the Green Glue caulk. It's dense and stays flexible.

And yes, it will take a lot.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Ok sounds like a plan, will have to call around tomorrow.

I know this is totally messed up on spacing and height but I had to test them to see how they sound. I just started with the one on the left. Then I was so impressed and how that 1 speaker sounded better than my old Bose HTS. (Ya ya I know, Blows)

So I decided I needed to add a second one for some stereo action. Even more impressed with the sound. Spent a little bit listening to some music and then decided I needed to watch a movie. Well you need a center channel for a movie right so I pulled the 3rd one out.

Needless to say despite the poor placement and just being in my family/Workout room they sounded amazing. Even now I am just sitting here listening to some HD music on YouTube as I try to rearrange my room to try to store these boxes somewhere...lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok sounds like a plan, will have to call around tomorrow.

I know this is totally messed up on spacing and height but I had to test them to see how they sound. I just started with the one on the left. Then I was so impressed and how that 1 speaker sounded better than my old Bose HTS. (Ya ya I know, Blows)

So I decided I needed to add a second one for some stereo action. Even more impressed with the sound. Spent a little bit listening to some music and then decided I needed to watch a movie. Well you need a center channel for a movie right so I pulled the 3rd one out.

Needless to say despite the poor placement and just being in my family/Workout room they sounded amazing. Even now I am just sitting here listening to some HD music on YouTube as I try to rearrange my room to try to store these boxes somewhere...lol

This is good new. How did you feel about their potential to go loud?
What are you thinking for subs?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
This is good new. How did you feel about their potential to go loud?
What are you thinking for subs?
I had my volume at about 50-60 and I had to back it off because they were very loud. They have the potential to get very loud but I didn't want to push them without being set up and tuned properly. The subs are up in the air at the moment, I am throwing around the idea of a pair of Dayton UM18's for a DYI setup from GSG Audio Design.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Got some electrical work finished. Should of done this before I painted. Oh well just have to wash a few spots a do some touch ups.

Stair lights, waiting for carpet to be installed before I put these in.

Hidden outlet for my LED light strips that will be in the crown molding.

Backer boxes cut out of the columns.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I remember seeing your build thread start a couple of months back and thought this would be a good build to follow. Lost track and came back to it today to find that you’re well on your way to completion. Amazing design, implementation and speed.

Just curious, to what level of detail did you have it worked out at the outset? Im still in the planning phase with lots of ideas and a couple of open issues. Part of me wants to just start doing stuff, ordering equipment etc, but I’m trying resist that. Working with someone to get the design locked in is probably the better next step. Do you mind sharing who you worked with for that? Thx.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
I remember seeing your build thread start a couple of months back and thought this would be a good build to follow. Lost track and came back to it today to find that you’re well on your way to completion. Amazing design, implementation and speed.

Just curious, to what level of detail did you have it worked out at the outset? Im still in the planning phase with lots of ideas and a couple of open issues. Part of me wants to just start doing stuff, ordering equipment etc, but I’m trying resist that. Working with someone to get the design locked in is probably the better next step. Do you mind sharing who you worked with for that? Thx.

I decided to invest in a speaker placement design to make sure the sound would be the best it could be. I had Shawn Byrne do that. I have also used the services of AVS member named Jeff Parkinson (aka BIG). He has great rates as a retired Theater builder to ask question to make sure that I wasn’t going to do something stupid. The main thing I did for the overall look was to spend months looking at different theater designs.

This is Jeremy’s theater that I have based my design on so I just looked at his pictures and have just been building it with a few chicken scratches on some paper.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Shawn did mine as well, and really knows his stuff. I'm hoping to get a bit more guidance from Jeff also on the actual construction process. The Home Theater Enthusiasts Facebook group has a big community that can offer a lot of help also that both of those individuals are included in. You'll have to pay a fair fee for the design phase of the project, but it's worth it if you're serious about the project.

181 - 200 of 282 Posts