AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago my father-in-law gave us a pair of Joseph Audio Pearl speakers and the amps/pre-amp to go with them (2 Coda Amplifier 20's). We've been using these separate from our home theater system just to listen to CDs.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR709 receiver on the way and would like to integrate these into my home theater as the front speakers to get more use out of them. I would rather not use the amps because they are huge and take up lots of space and we just don't need all that power. So my questions are:

Will the Onkyo power these speakers ok without the amps?

The speakers and the receiver support bi-amping. Is there any reason to do that?

If so, how do I connect the wires to bi-amp the speakers? I know the connections on the receiver end, but I do not have any paper-work on the speakers and cannot find any info on the net. The speakers have 4 binding posts Currently, the wire from the amp goes to the bottom most binding post. Just above that, a Cardas cable is connected to the next binding post and goes up to the top section of the speaker and splits into 4 wires. Two labeled "High" go to the top-most binding post and two labeled "Low" go to the binding post just underneath that.

Unfortunately, my father-in-law has passed away, so we no longer have him to ask about this stuff and I'm by no means an audiophile.

·
Registered
30,815 Posts
Sorry to hear of your father-in-law's passing but Jeff Joseph of Joseph Audio is alive and kicking. You should consult him: http://www.josephaudio.com/JosephAud..._Question.html

Off the cuff and IMHO, the Onkyo will not power the Pearls adequately and certainly not as you have become used to them sounding. Biamping them with the Onkyo will not avail you.

Use the L/R preamp outputs of the Onkyo to drive the Pearls via the Coda amps. If they are too bulky, sell them and replace them with a more modern, compact and efficient amp. Here's a suggestion: http://www.belcantodesign.com/Belcan...Amplifier.html

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
+1 on Kal's recommendation.

It would help to know the pre-amp you have as well. And is this passive or active bi-amp. I've consulted with JA the few times I've run into them...

Integrating these with the 709 will be a piece of cake.

But, it might be of better use replacing the pre-amp you have(unless it already has crossovers) with an outboard crossover, then running the Pearl in a true active bi-amp.

But whatever you do, you really want an active bi-amp situation, not a passive bi-amp.

·
Registered
30,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20833103

But whatever you do, you really want an active bi-amp situation, not a passive bi-amp.

I don't believe he wants or needs either. Since we agree that passive is a waste of time, I will only add that active is clearly, imho, beyond the capabilities of this user (and most others) as it requires removal of the Pearl's internal crossover (major surgery) and the design/construction of a custom active crossover to suit the Pearls. Few are up for this (although that is slowly changing with the rise of digital crossovers).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.