AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two unopened box sets - one is the Pioneer Special Edition - Amadeus PSE96-073 and the other is Jurassic Park THX letter box - 41830. Is either worth anything more than the usual $5-$7?

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The only real way is to look on eBay...give it a couple of weeks to see if one comes up.

You might try bigemma.com.

Good luck! :D

One is up for auction on eBay right now starting at $24.99.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
The key to finding values on ebay is to look at completed auctions. The JP box set seems to sell for $5 or so. Some auctions at $8-10 have drawn no bids. But if you put together a nice page and played up the unopened bit, my guess is you could get $10 for it.

Two "limited edition" Amadeus box sets have sold for $30 and for $62. If that's the set you have, it obviously has decent value. See this auction for example:

http://cgi.*********/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...category=41600

Hmmm. Doesn't seem like you can link from AVS to ebay. Look for item 3378558270 if you're interested.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
My quess is that AMEDEUS would be the more highly sought after of the two. I don't have it but if memory serves me it has supplements that you can't presently get elsewhere.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The double CD soundtrack that comes with the Amadeus set is wonderful and includes many tracks that are unavailable elsewhere. My guess is that the CD set is most of the perceived value. When I bought this it was about $130.00 new. See how great things are with DVD?

·
Registered
29,423 Posts
The JP box is worthless. $10 if you're lucky, $5 more likely.

Amadeus... If you have the box set with the soundtrack CD, it's a nicely packaged set and is worth something as a collectible. The standalone PSE 2-disc set, though, is going to be worth a lot less. Still, it is a nice transfer of the film's original theatrical cut. The current SE DVD is only the newer "Director's Cut" that many consider inferior, and the old theatrical cut DVD is rather poor quality. So you might be able to milk that for something.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks very much for the feedback. Just my luck that there are two Pioneer special editions as Josh notes? It looks like I have the CD less one as I see no mention of them on the cover and the LD number is different from the completed sale found by Salmoneous. Is there a data base anywhere that would give the contents of my edition? Don't want to open it in case I do decide to sell it.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reference Salmoneous. Great site and it looks like I just have the LDs, no extras. Think I will keep it if it is a better transfer that the current DVD SE.

·
Registered
29,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smyth22
Thanks very much for the feedback. Just my luck that there are two Pioneer special editions as Josh notes? It looks like I have the CD less one as I see no mention of them on the cover and the LD number is different from the completed sale found by Salmoneous. Is there a data base anywhere that would give the contents of my edition? Don't want to open it in case I do decide to sell it.
Pioneer released two editions of the film. Their "standard" edition came in a gatefold jacket. The deluxe edition came in a box (the gatefold jacket was actually inside the box) with a soundtrack CD and some other peripherals like a big glossy photo-booklet.

Quote:
Thanks for the reference Salmoneous. Great site and it looks like I just have the LDs, no extras. Think I will keep it if it is a better transfer that the current DVD SE.
That's not quite what I said. The current SE DVD has a better transfer, however it only contains the longer "director's cut" of the movie. The laserdisc is the best available transfer of the theatrical cut.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.