AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HBO Gives Series Order to Joss Whedon Drama "The Nevers"
The series is an epic science fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world.
[via press release from HBO]
HBO GIVES SERIES ORDER TO JOSS WHEDON DRAMA "THE NEVERS"

THE NEVERS

HBO drama series pick-up

LOGLINE:

THE NEVERS is an epic science fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world.

CREDITS:

Joss Whedon: Executive Producer, Showrunner, Writer, Director

CASEY BLOYS QUOTE:

"We have long been fans of the incredibly talented and prolific Joss Whedon and we can't think of a better project than THE NEVERS with which to welcome him to the HBO family. We look forward to meeting the strange, multifaceted characters of THE NEVERS, to learn their stories, see them in action and share them with our viewers. We're honored that Joss chose HBO as the place to build his ambitious new world and we are excited to get started."

JOSS WHEDON QUOTE:

"I honestly couldn't be more excited. THE NEVERS is maybe the most ambitious narrative I've created, and I can't imagine a better home for it than HBO. Not only are they the masters of cinematic long-form, but their instant understanding of my odd, intimate epic was as emotional as it was incisive. It's been too long since I created an entirely new fictional world, and the HBO team offer not just scope and experience, not just 'prestige,' but a passionate collaboration. I could go on, but? - ?I'm impatiently grateful to say? - ?I have work to do."

Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/...ers-523515/20180713hbo01/#Frhh8GwmPgUzLuuU.99

·
Registered
28,057 Posts
Really, I'd just like more 'Firefly'. The cast is certainly willing, as has said so several times. Unfortunately, the window of opportunity has probably passed with Fillion, as he only had one year between finishing up one long running series (Castle) and starting another one. The dude's in demand. :(

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Apparently Netflix was bidding for this and because of the competition, HBO offered a full season order rather than ordering just a pilot.

Of course since his previous shows, news got out that he had a series of affairs with young, needy actresses. Ironic, according to some, since Whedon was admired for creating strong female characters.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I had forgotten all about this. I was surprised to see that I had posted twice in this thread.

·
Registered
28,057 Posts
This show has had a long gestation period. And I'm disappointed that Joss's return to science fiction is yet another superpowered people yarn, this time combined with a period costume drama. Like we needed another one. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Though I'm sure HBO's production will be topnotch and whether Amazon's "Carnival Row" will live up to the hype remains to be seen, "The Nevers" may be perceived as "stealing" the fantasy Victorian England concept from the soon to be released "Carnival Row" (August 30). At the very least, it will be compared to it, and how critics assess "The Nevers" may depend on how much better it is.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
This show has had a long gestation period. And I'm disappointed that Joss's return to science fiction is yet another superpowered people yarn, this time combined with a period costume drama. Like we needed another one. :rolleyes:
Drawing room superheroes who drink tea all day?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Oh boy! It's X-Men meets The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen!!! Except--THEY'RE LADIES!!! And I can just hear the producers saying to themselves "it can't miss...it's a Whedon joint, all the comic book nerds and the LGBTQ demos will just love it!" Who says producers are running out of good ideas? I mean, besides just about everyone.

Gawd, I miss Dollhouse! And let's face it, there will probably never be another Firefly either! Both were too good for network television, and I think Whedon's ties to Marvel took away his "edge."

·
Registered
15,782 Posts
Gawd, I miss Dollhouse! And let's face it, there will probably never be another Firefly either! Both were too good for network television, and I think Whedon's ties to Marvel took away his "edge."
I agree that Marvel forces writers/directors to tone down their vision and adapt to the 'Marvel/Disney way' of doing things...but Whedon is not tied to Marvel anymore so it shouldn't affect this HBO show...hopefully it's a return to form

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
‘The Nevers’: Joss Whedon’s HBO Sci-Fi Drama Series Adds 6 To Cast

Kiran Sonia Sawar (Pure, Brexit: The Uncivil War), Elizabeth Berrington (In Bruges, Naked) Ella Smith (Ray & Liz, Kill Your Friends), Viola Prettejohn (Counterpart, The Witcher) Anna Devlin (All the Money in the World, Hanna) are set as series regulars and Martyn Ford (The Intergalactic Adventures of Max Cloud, The Marine: Close Quarters) will recur in The Nevers HBO’s straight-to-series drama from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator and The Avengers writer-director Joss Whedon.

Co-written by Whedon and Buffy alums Jane Espenson and Doug Petrie and directed by Whedon, The Nevers is an epic science fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world.

The six actors join lead Laura Donnelly along with previously cast Olivia Williams, James Norton, Tom Riley, Ann Skelly, Ben Chaplin, Pip Torrens, Zackary Momoh, Amy Manson, Nick Frost, Rochelle Neil, Eleanor Tomlinson and Denis O’Hare.

Sawar will play Harriet Kaur. A young Scottish Sikh, Harriet lives with the Orphans, but is accepted by both her family and her betrothed. Optimistic without being naive, Harriet is determined to live her life as she planned, despite its increasing weirdness.

Berrington is Lucy Best. Dirt poor, adaptive, streetwise. There’s nothing delicate about Lucy, though she’s given up thieving to live with the Orphans. Her quick-wit and high spirits mask the pain of a tragic past.

Smith will portray Desirée Blodgett. A whore, and an increasingly popular one: her power makes men tell her everything on their minds, and they come away relieved in more than one sense. Unfortunately, what she’s heard may get her killed, even though she honestly doesn’t listen to most of it. She’s devoted to her six year old son, who, bless him, never speaks.

Prettejohn will play Myrtle Haplisch. A middle-class girl rescued from a family who cannot understand her – literally, as she can no longer speak English, or anything resembling speech. She’s thrilled to be living at the orphanage, where she’s everyone’s favorite weird little mascot.

Devlin is Primrose Chattoway. All 16-year-old Primrose wants is to be a proper, ordinary girl, and not take up too much space. Which, at ten feet tall, is hard. Most everything is either dreamy, unfair, or too embarrassing to live through.

Ford will play Nicolas Perbal, aka Odium – The quintessential henchman. He looks as unpleasant as he smells – a side-effect if his rather surprising “turn”. Will do any kind of work for anybody’s money.

Whedon, who serves as showrunner and also directs, executive produces with Espenson, Petrie and Bernie Caulfield.

Sawar and Berrington are repped by United Agents. Smith is represented by Wishlab and Gersh in the U.S. and Independent Talent Group in the UK. Prettejohn is repped by Waring and McKenna. Devlin is repped by Olivia Bell. Ford is repped by The BWH Agency in the UK.

https://deadline.com/2019/08/the-ne...ci-fi-drama-series-adds-6-to-cast-1202668985/

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
So are they going to have any youth in the cast? Or maybe HBO is making Wheadon cast older actresses so he's not tempted again?

Victorians. So no tight or low-cut tops then.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts